Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stair Climbers.....

Hello all,

I'm 3 weeks new to the residential sewer and drain cleaning business. I'm thinking about possibly taking over the business of my friend who recently passed away.

95% of the cleanouts are in the basement around here and the older model (1980's) 180 pound General drum machine is hell to lift back up the stairs by myself.

How much of a load does the "stair climber" take off when going back up the stairs and how does this feature work ?

ThanX

Gary

Re: Stair Climbers.....

I have a k-7500 and i could not ever get that up and down stairs safely without stair climbers!

Just get a k-60 and you will have a huge load of your back!

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
      I have a k-7500 and i could not ever get that up and down stairs safely without stair climbers!

Just get a k-60 and you will have a huge load of your back!

ThanX for the reply but after reading several threads here (Sectional vs Drum) I'm going to stick with the drum style machines.

Are you familiar on how good the "stair climbing" feature is and how it works ?

Comment

I put a extra set of stair climbers on my model D
        I added them to help the winch pull it in and out of my van
        It helps a lot... but all i do is push a button
        As far as your back , its gonna feel it
        But you wont scratch up the stairs

Comment

The stair climbers are basicly a "v" belt on the back of the machine on either side. When you back the machine up against the step and lift, the belt rolls reducing friction. You are still doing the grunt work.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Hello all,

I'm 3 weeks new to the residential sewer and drain cleaning business. I'm thinking about possibly taking over the business of my friend who recently passed away.

95% of the cleanouts are in the basement around here and the older model (1980's) 180 pound General drum machine is hell to lift back up the stairs by myself.

How much of a load does the "stair climber" take off when going back up the stairs and how does this feature work ?

ThanX

Gary
            I dont want to sound like your mother but you have to keep your back staight and bend at your knees . I have the K-7500 with 100' IC cable and it is over 220 lbs. and I have more trouble getting the machine into van the up stairs your leggs are stronger the back and yes stair climbers help glide up stairs
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Gary

Maybe you can take the drum off the machine and take them down separately? You only have one back. When it's toast.....
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

or maybe you can actually try out a sectional machine like the rest of the sectional guys and see what you're missing.

i run both 7/8'' and 1.25'' sectional cables indoors and outdoors.

indoors i just have to be more careful about what i'm doing and my surroundings. outdoors i can fly and not have to worry about my cables.

as mentioned before. stair climbers are not actually climbers. they are more like stair protectors. they protect the bull nose of the stair tread.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

use it or lose it; I hump 100' of 1/2" on the machine up and down stairs probably 3days/wk. I consider it gym time. space more an issue than weight. be a piece of cake but for the grab rail in a 3' stairwell.
                  Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-26-2010, 02:58 AM.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i'm considering a powered stair climbing unit myself.....

I can't seem to find prices on any of the ones i've found online so far, but i'm bettin they're expensive (but still cheaper than back surgery).

Anyone have any experience with them?

Comment

i have an electric stair climbing aluminum dolly. works great for water heaters, but i doubt you're going to like to use it for a drain machine.

http://www.escalera.com/models/index.htm

i have the 1200# 72'' model.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        use it or lose it; I hump 100' of 1/2" on the machine up and down stairs probably 3days/wk. I consider it gym time. space more an issue than weight. be a piece of cake but for the grab rail in a 3' stairwell.

I'm having to do this up to 4 times a day 7 days a week plus load in/out of the truck. This is probably going to be the deciding factor on whether or not I buy this business. I'm not getting any younger and the sectional machines seem a bit messy for me as 99% of the jobs have been indoors with mostly 75 to 100 foot runs.
                        Last edited by AssTyme; 03-26-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

might be cheaper to hire a helper and get the extra 1 or 2 drains done with them. this will cover his wages and cover your back

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

These are like $1500, but they sure are cool. http://www.escalera.com/stairclimbing/index.htm
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Jeez, you guys are a bunch of Sally's....next you will want one of these!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X