X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Overcharging and poking drains"

i was thinking more on the lines of....... "undercharging and poking drains".........
    like for example yesterday i saw a guy in a wrecked truck with a cable machine in the back. the guy looked like a goat as he flew past me on the hwy. the cable looked like 3/8 may be 1/2 inch.
    i thought "this is one of those $50 guys!" he was scary looking. i wouldn't let him in my house. let alone call him back in the future.

the last main line i did a month ago. (read my saga on another thread) the guy said RR didn't use a blade/ cutter on his machine. just the cable. when i whipped out mine (cutter) he was impressed. it was root problem.
    Last edited by Jerad; 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: "Overcharging and poking drains"

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
    i was thinking more on the lines of....... "undercharging and poking drains".........
    like for example yesterday i saw a guy in a wrecked truck with a cable machine in the back. the guy looked like a goat as he flew past me on the hwy. the cable looked like 3/8 may be 1/2 inch.
    i thought "this is one of those $50 guys!" he was scary looking. i wouldn't let him in my house. let alone call him back in the future.

the last main line i did a month ago. (read my saga on another thread) the guy said RR didn't use a blade/ cutter on his machine. just the cable. when i whipped out mine (cutter) he was impressed. it was root problem.
    How the hell did they not use a cutter? That is absolutely ridiculous.... Pretty soon with all the handymen plumbers and shoddy work thats going on people are going to put plumbers on a par with attorneys

Comment

i see it already happening here. there seams to be less and less respect. it's all price or nothing when it comes to drain cleaning here.

Comment

3 years ago I got the visual from an experience I had with a local 15 truck drain cleaner turned plumber outfit that came out to my customers hotel at 3:00 A.M.
        Bent 5/8",no cutter,on a gorlitz sled machine.
        $300.00

Utah's comment:
        "See,If you had your own machine that would be your money"
        Started saving for the K-60.

Now the trick is seeing what the balance is in this economy where every third house in my neighborhood is a construction worker(illegal/legal citizen) working as a handyman.Slight exaggeration,still alot around here.

Drives my price into the dirt.I can hear them on the other end of the line..."What are you,NUTS"

Comment

It's the same with pumping and especially portable toilets.

I had posted in another thread that we spend $150k on a pump truck, pay a driver $17+bennies to drive it per hour, pay the treatment plant $125 to dispose of it, plus all of the other overhead all for $300 bucks. And most guys are cheaper than me. Some way cheaper. It's stupid!

I'm renting portable toilets for $89 per 4 weeks for weekly service. Some of my competiors will go as low as $50 for the same service. Of course they don't service the unit like my drivers do, or on a regular basis but most times the guy paying the bill isn't using it so he doesn't give a rip what it looks like in there.

I have a few holdout customers that know the value we are giving them, but it's getting so bad some of them are having to go the low price guys, if they are not going out of business totaly.

I found out today that one of my original customers is closing up shop. He's a cabinet maker. It's sad.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
            It's the same with pumping and especially portable toilets.

I had posted in another thread that we spend $150k on a pump truck, pay a driver $17+bennies to drive it per hour, pay the treatment plant $125 to dispose of it, plus all of the other overhead all for $300 bucks. And most guys are cheaper than me. Some way cheaper. It's stupid!

I'm renting portable toilets for $89 per 4 weeks for weekly service. Some of my competiors will go as low as $50 for the same service. Of course they don't service the unit like my drivers do, or on a regular basis but most times the guy paying the bill isn't using it so he doesn't give a rip what it looks like in there.

I have a few holdout customers that know the value we are giving them, but it's getting so bad some of them are having to go the low price guys, if they are not going out of business totaly.

I found out today that one of my original customers is closing up shop. He's a cabinet maker. It's sad.
            Honestly Trent, I find that many people running pump trucks are very stupid about their pricing. They would be better off sitting at home than pricing as low as they do.

J.C.

Comment

Amen. There is something about that farmer mind set with a pumper truck. Long as there busy they dont care. I did get some price shoppers today for holding tanks. Sounds like price are going up. I'm super happy one of the bigger low ball outfits raised there rates. I have been talking to some guys around here and the rates are going up. A couple of us stopped taking accounts because the rates where so low, it wasnt worth getting the work. The rates are so low here there is only one way they can go.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
                Amen. There is something about that farmer mind set with a pumper truck. Long as there busy they dont care. I did get some price shoppers today for holding tanks. Sounds like price are going up. I'm super happy one of the bigger low ball outfits raised there rates. I have been talking to some guys around here and the rates are going up. A couple of us stopped taking accounts because the rates where so low, it wasnt worth getting the work. The rates are so low here there is only one way they can go.
                Are you sending out reminder cards for the 3 year septic inspections?

Comment

like for example yesterday i saw a guy in a wrecked truck with a cable machine in the back. the guy looked like a goat as he flew past me on the hwy. .he was scary looking.

you call this scary,
                  Attached Files
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Bhd

WHERE DID YOU GET MY PICTURE???? breid..............

Comment

around here there are 2 pumpers. one gets $150.00 and spreads it on "his" land. my guy gets $275.00 and takes it to sewage plant. spreading is legal here. i think. i may not be qualified. my guy does a much more thorough job. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        you call this scary,

that is a nubian female (doe) goat. great milkers, high in butterfat.

look for a billy goat, one with the tounge hanging out, foaming at the mouth and the longest weirdest goate

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                          Are you sending out reminder cards for the 3 year septic inspections?

I send them out. We have no state requirements for pumping other than ATU's. We set a schedule that is agreable to the customer and send a reminder then. Our return isn't very high but enough to make it pay.

Comment

I've been running a $25 off any 1000 gallon and over pump job and seem to be getting some response. I think this summer I'm going to raise my prices by $50 and run the ad in several different places (one at a time) and see what comes of it.

Fuel is going up again. Diesel is $3 per gallon today. Dump fees usually go up in the spring. I'm going to have to do something.

Comment

that is a nubian female (doe) goat. great milkers, high in butterfat.

look for a billy goat, one with the tounge hanging out, foaming at the mouth and the longest weirdest goate
                              I don't have to look for them Jerad.They drive by my house daily.

Comment

Working...
                              X