X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunging Surprise

I have plunged many toilets and have yet to have this happen to me. Had a customer with a clogged toilet. Wanted to try plunging it first. Took off the tank lid and opened the flapper some to allow enough water to fill the bowl to make for a good plunging. Once I started plunging I had water shooting back at me through the toilet flapper and right up and out the top of the fill tube. I had a regular water fountain going. Pretty nasty situation with all that sewer water going back up into the toilet tank. I had never seen this before.

Once I got the stoppage cleared and flushed the toilet I saw the problem. It was a Kohler toilet with a opening at the bottom of mouth of the bowl that streamed water as part of its flushing action. It was almost like a flushometer toilet if even more on the bottom of the mouth of the toilet.

In any case, I didn't want to leave the toilet tank contaminated so I poured in some bleach - regardless of whether or not it is bad for the toilet tank guts.

Just glad I didn't have my mouth open at the time of the toilet fountain!

Re: Plunging Surprise

i will usually allow the tank to fill and flow into the overflow to help prevent the the movement of water from the bowl into the tank. if need be i'll cover the overflow with my gloved palm

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

use an auger and you won't have that problem
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

try the water ram next time, and post a vid
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          try the water ram next time, and post a vid
          I love it!

One time I put a camera up the the throat of a toilet with flushing issues and noticed a hole in the porcelain that allowed water to flush into the top of the toilet trap. Some water from the tank would dump directly into the trap.

Not sure whether this was some kind of designed flush assist or a manufacturing defect preventing the full tank of water from dumping directly into the bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
            I love it!

One time I put a camera up the the throat of a toilet with flushing issues and noticed a hole in the porcelain that allowed water to flush into the top of the toilet trap. Some water from the tank would dump directly into the trap.

Not sure whether this was some kind of designed flush assist or a manufacturing defect preventing the full tank of water from dumping directly into the bowl.
            chased a smell problem in a bar bathroom, only got it because I was bs-ing with the owner about drunks and he mentioned that someone had pulled the toilet off the floor once.

It was a commercial flushomter floor discharge one. When it got ripped off the floor the porcelain got broken internally so there was a hole in the web separating the flush and the top of the trap.

Still flushed fine, and you'd never know it was broken w/o removing the spud, but it let gas back out the holes in the rim and stunk the place out.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
            X