X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urinal Augers

I'd like to see a urinal auger with open-wind cable. I'm sure this would give more ease negotiating the trap and more torque on calcium build-up. I'm basing this on the K-50 with open-wind 5/8" cable. I'm sure that would be the perfect cable for a toilet auger. Urinal Auger probably slightly smaller diameter. Smaller diameter tight-wind hollow or inner-core isn't the answer. I can fly down a toilet with 5/8 and a PVC guide pipe with 45 degree fitting on the end. Now if you slip and put a cable mark in the toilet. Use a glass etching acid. It will remove cable marks instantly like magic (even underwater).
    If you can't relate you've probably not tried a K-50.
    Best to all, Dennis.....

Re: Urinal Augers

Never heard of the glass etching acid before,thanks I'll get some on the truck.Already have a pumice stone.
    What kind of luck are you having on a three inch stoppage with a head that can negotiate an integral trap of a toilet.
    I guess one could catch the occasional baby wipe with a drop head bulb.
    Would one have many return calls over a short period of time because a larger head was needed.

Comment

speaking of augers. i tried to auger one the other day. no dice. the head came back! then i tried plungering. nothing going.... then i tried to use the camera with the "special" Josh thing like a "t" . no dice either.
      i pull the tolite and low and behold it is packed hard like a rock poo! i ended up shop vacing it and tossing the vac (Dunbars tip) and charged them for a new one. it was the worst i have ever seen. i have seen everything else in tolite's but the way this one was shapped? at the top of the trap it had a flat shelf and the same at the bottom. it was stamped UI and looked very old i'd say 1976? no date just a guess? ask Utah
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Never heard of the glass etching acid before,thanks I'll get some on the truck.Already have a pumice stone.
        It does work like magic but I never leave it on for more than a couple seconds. I dip a small chemical (short rather stiff bristle) brush in etch acid. As soon as cable marks are gone, I flush. I'm sure it would etch the surface if left on.
        Here's what I use: http://www.midwestchemicals.com/Inde...strialCoatings
        Best to call them I think. Ask for XXX etch if you want to try what I use.

Try it on a old bowl if you have. It works for me but I don't want to cause anybody problems either.

Have a good day, Dennis...

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          What kind of luck are you having on a three inch stoppage with a head that can negotiate an integral trap of a toilet.
          I don't use a tool. I use a 2ft. length of cable bent at a 45 degree angle 3 inches from the end. I also open up the end to form a slight hook. The 5/8" (C-8) is not flexible enough at ends. The cable is wound tighter on the end than center. Using reverse will get you through the trap quicker. I know you shouldn't use reverse and I only use it when I feel it's a must. The bent cable spinning at 400 RPM will usually get a short run 3" pipe cleared. If a object is flopping around in the trap we know the toilet has to be pulled but at least the bowl is clean. The main reason I mentioned any of this because I think hand augers could be made to work better (somehow).
          Urinals are the tuff ones. On a urinal hand auger I'll bend the bulb end about 3/4" back. (I actually put the bend in the bulb sometimes).
          The stories, the stuff we try on drains could go on forever....... Dennis..

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
            speaking of augers. i tried to auger one the other day. no dice. the head came back!
            Yes Sir. I hate to say it but same story with my Ridgid toilet auger.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis/Ohio View Post
              I don't use a tool. I use a 2ft. length of cable bent at a 45 degree angle 3 inches from the end. I also open up the end to form a slight hook. The 5/8" (C-8) is not flexible enough at ends. The cable is wound tighter on the end than center. Using reverse will get you through the trap quicker. I know you shouldn't use reverse and I only use it when I feel it's a must. The bent cable spinning at 400 RPM will usually get a short run 3" pipe cleared. If a object is flopping around in the trap we know the toilet has to be pulled but at least the bowl is clean. The main reason I mentioned any of this because I think hand augers could be made to work better (somehow).
              Urinals are the tuff ones. On a urinal hand auger I'll bend the bulb end about 3/4" back. (I actually put the bend in the bulb sometimes).
              The stories, the stuff we try on drains could go on forever....... Dennis..
              dennis, this is the same exact method i use on my k-60 c-10 7/8'' cable reverse auger. i do run it in reverse as it's the only way that the open end auger will grab. there have been no negative affects with my running in reverse with the 7/8'' cable even with cutting roots.

i;ve used the k-50 on wipes through a toilet in the past and also had great results with the factory auger end while running over 35' from a second floor toilet.

glad to see you too have experimented with good results, running the cable through a toilet.

apply the same technique to the 7/8'' cable and you'll find you too have the secret weapon reverse auger i talk about

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                dennis, this is the same exact method i use on my k-60 c-10 7/8'' cable reverse auger. i do run it in reverse as it's the only way that the open end auger will grab. there have been no negative affects with my running in reverse with the 7/8'' cable even with cutting roots.
                rick.
                I've had some negative effects. Had my K-1500 (C-11) flip the cable 3 times in a 6" pipe. Lateral left house 4" then transitioned to 6". 3ft sections of clay with roots every 3ft. I was using forward & reverse at each joint. I've had a batch of roots on C-cutter carry to the next joint and smear roots and not cut that batch. I was going forward and reverse trying to keep cutter cleaner.
                When I was trying to get back out I had a triple-flip in 4". I had water flow so I could see it plainly with camera. The story gets very long at this point. Screwed a reverse auger (3ft length of broken cable) into cable knot & connected to electric hoist. 7 hours later, destroyed 3 sections of C-11, free at last. I'm not so brave anymore.
                I've flipped cable many times but that was the clincher. I wouldn't want to see a less experienced cleaner have to deal with that one. It was probably 2 hours to build & setup the jig to support the hoist.
                Best Wishes, Dennis....

Comment

Working...
                X