X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Grease trap install

I do not know how you guys that do this kind of stuff on a regaler basis do this kind of work.

I am installing a 1000 Gallon round grease trap at a restaurant. The sewer line is 2' 1/4" below grade, the hole has to be 7' 2" below the sewer pipe So the over all depth of the hole has to be 9' 9 1/4" deep The basin is 6' round outside diameter.

So I made my hole 8' square dug down 7 and half feet below the pipe today, I wanted to leave the sewer line in place till I was ready to take it out and set the trap but it was in real bad shape, so I had to make a temp repair with some SDR 26 pipe to keep my hole from filling up. I was really hoping to set this trap today but I guess it takes longer than I planed it would. First thing in the morning I am going to have to pump the ground water out of my hole, then add stone and tamper it down and the base of the hole set at 7' 2" below the sewer then call out the guy with the trap to set it in the hole.

I will take some pictures of where I am at now, and some pictures of them setting the trap in the hole. The trap comes in 3 parts, the base with is 48" tall, the mid section with the flat top cap which is 48" as well. Then of course the adjusting rings and the manhole collars and lids. Fun fun.. I am exhausted.
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Outdoor Grease trap install

cant wait for pics good luck
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

We set 1800 gallon square concrete in the 90's.
      6" of base material with two 2X6 redwood stringers running the length of the interceptor.

I can see the price advantage of the fabricated fiberglass.
      How heavy are those,can two guys set them by hand with a couple ropes and levers.
      Does one backfill with larger gravel for the sides of a round vessel.
      What do you use to bring up the manhole.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Are you using a Schier interceptor? Pretty much the main brand we use around here. I hope the weather stays nice for you to finish.

Comment

Don't You hate it, when after a rain storm ,an empty tank pops out of the ground!
          Don't imagine You can fill it with water!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well the trap is set. No we are not using the Schier trap. It would be to costly to install 4 of them to meet the 1000 Gallon capacity needed. We installed a round concrete trap. I doubt it would float up any.. This trap is one huge monster.

A few things bother me about the job itself... well not the job, but the people I had to use to haul away the spoils. In this township we could only hire one company for a dumpster. We wanted a 30 yard dumpster, but they said loading with stone and clay it would be to heavy for load weight limits. So they sent us a 15 yard dumpster with full knowledge we where putting spoils from a hole in it. We called them yesterday afternoon to pick up the dumpster and bring us one more. They told us we would see the guy before noon. The guy came to pick it up around 3 pm, he was mad as heck. He said where where mot supposed to use a 15 yard dumpster for spoils that it will put him over the weight limit. He picked it up and left with it, about 2 hours later he returns with a 10 yard dumpster and demanded the check for the quoted amount for the 15 yard dumpster and told us they are now going to charge us by the pound. What upsets me is the fact they are the only company I can use for removal of spoils in this town.

Comment

Dirt and concrete boxes here are either 5 or 10 Yards. I have My own 18 yrd dump
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

OK here are some of the pictures, I will post more tomorrow. We have the pipes in and connected. Now we just need to put one more riser on for a clean out and backfill with more pea gravel.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Dirt and concrete boxes here are either 5 or 10 Yards. I have My own 18 yrd dump
                  I would not mind a 10 yard box, if they told me thats all I can get and quoted me a price for the 10 yard box. But to charge me for a second 15 yard box and bring me a 10 yard, also changing the pricing from a flat rate to the pound after the fact.. that is what rubbed me the wrong way. I have a little 1 ton Chevy dully that I could of used and made about 10 trips with it.

Well just have to say live and learn. I learned that it takes more than a day and a half for a job like this. I quoted the job for a day and a half.. so I am taking a beating on this along with the dumpsters. I should still come out with some profit but nothing near what we should be making for tyeing up two trucks for 3 days. Luckily we are slow enough where it did not interfer with other work.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I would not mind a 10 yard box, if they told me thats all I can get and quoted me a price for the 10 yard box. But to charge me for a second 15 yard box and bring me a 10 yard, also changing the pricing from a flat rate to the pound after the fact.. that is what rubbed me the wrong way. I have a little 1 ton Chevy dully that I could of used and made about 10 trips with it.

Well just have to say live and learn. I learned that it takes more than a day and a half for a job like this. I quoted the job for a day and a half.. so I am taking a beating on this along with the dumpsters. I should still come out with some profit but nothing near what we should be making for tyeing up two trucks for 3 days. Luckily we are slow enough where it did not interfer with other work.
                    Ron pics look good hope every thing works out tomorow .One more thing if you dont mind me asking I have been looking on internet trying to figure out who to call or were to go for RPZ licenseing being I'm laid off figure it will sharpen my reasame up a little if I took course now .If you dont no big deal .Thanks
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                      Ron pics look good hope every thing works out tomorow .One more thing if you dont mind me asking I have been looking on internet trying to figure out who to call or were to go for RPZ licenseing being I'm laid off figure it will sharpen my reasame up a little if I took course now .If you dont no big deal .Thanks
                      Here are the links you are looking for. http://www.siue.edu/ertc/cross_connection_control.shtml and http://www.ides.state.il.us/licensep...Attr.asp?ID=87

Comment

what I have been looking for for 2 weeks took you 5 min thanks
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Here are some more pictures. I will post the final result pics tomorrow. We got the pipes all hooked up, stone around the basin and graded, and the collars set in place and the cement poured. Only thing left is to get rid of the rest of the spoils and clean up the lot.

Attached Files

Comment

Ron the job finished great.
                            I was waiting to see which rings you were going to use to match the asphalt elevation.You know,with cars driving/parking and all.What hieght increments do those come in.
                            Or are you just the luckiest guy in the world to land the elevation match with the one closest.
                            I always used a kind of drypack grout to make up an inch or two.

Comment

Nice work and nice pics.

Ours are typically concrete, 1,000 gallon, rectangular though. I'll try to remember to take a pic next time. Get busy-run, run, run, get it done-and forget sometimes.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X