X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid K380 Feeding 1/2" Cable into the Drum

Hi, I have a Ridgid K380 machine that previously had 3/8" cable. I bought a 1/2" cable instead, 75' long, but the cable will not wind all the way into the drum, according to the guy using it (he wants to bring it back to me with about 20' hanging out of it instead). It has an auto-feed lever. It doesn't appear to be kinked, and it's only been used on this one job. What can I tell him to try differently? Is he supposed to just push the cable in, or should he only use the auto feed lever, or does it matter? Should the cable be greased?

I have never used this machine personally, rather, it's one I loan out, so please forgive my ignorance.

Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Ridgid K380 Feeding 1/2" Cable into the Drum

Homestead, It sounds like your cable has been flipped in the drum.

See if you can pull the cable ALL the way out of the drum and attempt to rewind it.

The cable can always use a light coat of oil, Ridgid makes a snake oil or just spray it down with WD-40 after you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Homestead, It sounds like your cable has been flipped in the drum.

See if you can pull the cable ALL the way out of the drum and attempt to rewind it.
      I hate to be so dumb, but I don't understand what you mean by "flipped in the drum". Does this mean you think the cable is curled the wrong way in the drum (I don't even know that that's possible?), the cable is directional in that only one end goes properly into the drum and not the other, or there's accidently been a loop introduced that I'm not seeing somehow?

Comment

Flipped in the drum means that the cable has looped in the drum in a way it shouldn't have. Try and pull the cable all the way out of the drum, and if it is not kinked, shove it back in.

Comment

has the cable ever been all the way into the drum? if so then i'm going to agree with the cable flipping in the drum.

the cable will twist on itself inside the drum making a big bowtie. It's a miserable thing to have happen.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Some times the cable doesn't coil up quiet right when it go's back in if it has been torked to high like getting stuck in a root or bad place. try pulling the cable out away if the cable is not flipped add some oil, flip the switch in reverse and see if this will get the tork off then try feeding it in again you might have to pull the cable out as far as he had it probable all the way and then try feeding it back in. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by gtmerkley View Post
              Some times the cable doesn't coil up quiet right when it go's back in if it has been torked to high like getting stuck in a root or bad place. try pulling the cable out away if the cable is not flipped add some oil, flip the switch in reverse and see if this will get the tork off then try feeding it in again you might have to pull the cable out as far as he had it probable all the way and then try feeding it back in. Good luck
              Thank you Everyone;

The person using this machine never did wind the cable entirely into the drum. Rather, he inserted the brand new cable into the drain by hand (until it reached the clog), and then wound the remainder in the drum. I only just learned this. So, the entire cable has never yet been actually would into the confines of the drum. He has tried it from both directions, he claims.
              Last edited by homesteadpower; 04-17-2010, 11:05 AM. Reason: expounded

Comment

I don't think You have a cable problem. I think it may be a hiring problem!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by homesteadpower View Post
                  Thank you Everyone;

The person using this machine never did wind the cable entirely into the drum. Rather, he inserted the brand new cable into the drain by hand (until it reached the clog), and then wound the remainder in the drum. I only just learned this. So, the entire cable has never yet been actually would into the confines of the drum. He has tried it from both directions, he claims.
                  after going online the rig. k-380 can hold 75' of 1/2" cable so I agree with OkieBill as the cable fliped in drum you will have to remove all of cable out of drum and reinsert into drum good luck
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I always install the lesser amount of cable that the machine is rated at. For example if you had 3/8 cable in it its rated at 100', I would rather put in 75' so I know for sure it all will wind up neatly and it keeps the weight down. So if the drum is rated to hold 75' of 1/2" cable I would only load it with 50'. I am not sure the k-380 is rated to hold 75' of 1/2" cable though.
                    Last edited by SewerRatz; 04-18-2010, 12:46 PM.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

From the Ridged Web site.

"Standard drum capacity is 100' of 3/8" or 90' of 1/2" (30m/10mm or 27m/12mm) continuous length cable"

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                        From the Ridged Web site.

"Standard drum capacity is 100' of 3/8" or 90' of 1/2" (30m/10mm or 27m/12mm) continuous length cable"
                        Got this from the K-380 operator's manual. So 75' is the Max allowed in 1/2" but as I said I would not load it to the max.

Attached Files
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I was looking at the K-3800

Comment

Working...
                          X