X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cleaner Biz Requirements??

Im located in Pennsylvania. I see alot of drain guys running around here. Do you need to be a mater plumber to have a drain cleaning biz? Or if you deal with cleaning drains only you dont need to be a licensed plumber.?? How does that work? Just a business lic?

thanks
    Brian

Re: Drain Cleaner Biz Requirements??

Originally posted by fendereh View Post
    Im located in Pennsylvania. I see alot of drain guys running around here. Do you need to be a mater plumber to have a drain cleaning biz? Or if you deal with cleaning drains only you dont need to be a licensed plumber.?? How does that work? Just a business lic?

thanks
    Brian
    It is different in every State and sometimes municipality so you should check locally. However, as a word of caution, there is a lot more to drain cleaning than buying a truck and equipment.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It definitely helps to be a plumber when doing drain cleaning. You will have a better idea of drains are going to be or supposed to be run. As for licensing, it depends on you location. I know here you either have to have a plumbing contractors license or at minimum a sewer and drain contractors license.

There is a lot more to cleaning drains than it might seem.
      Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
      Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

drain cleaning is a combination art, experience, and knowledge of the plumbing waste sanitary system.

knowing all 3 is much better than knowing 2 of the 3.

i know all 4

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          drain cleaning is a combination art, experience, and knowledge of the plumbing waste sanitary system.

knowing all 3 is much better than knowing 2 of the 3.

i know all 4

rick.
          Agreed Rick, drain cleaning is defiantly an art. I know many plumbers that can not clean a drain for the life of them. I say 60% of our calls are other plumbers calling us to do their drain cleaning jobs. It does help we have the experience, and the right tools. But even having the right tools do not help some of these guys. They watch me on a few jobs, then go spend 10K on equipment like I am using. They run a few calls then tear up their gear (kink cables, break push rod on camera) and then they call me again.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I tried to hire a few guy's to help. One puked on the customers floor when he seen the waste laying all over the floor and the other turned around and went back to the van.One had worked for a plumber the other was a farmer. Now don't get me wrong I know plumbers get there share of mess and I have respect for what they can do. But like plumbing no two drains or clogs are a like, You cant see what the cable is doing with your eyes, you have to see with the feel of the cable, the sound of the machine, with your experience, you have to see with your hart to be good at it. I have seen a lot of guy's that think you just run the cable in the drain, opens, you collect your money, and go. But most of us here know a lot of times you can run passed the clog and it wont open that leaves the beginner wondering what went wrong. If you want to get in to drain cleaning you are off to a good start by coming here, there are some good old boy's here with only one goal helping each other become better cleaners or helping them out of a bind. Yea we sometimes brag and sometime tease a little about which is best. But if you want to go in to cleaning drains find someone to teach you and help if you get into trouble maybe someone retired. The school of hard knocks is not so forgiving in this business. Good Luck

Comment

This game is about service. You need to pick up the phone and be around. No leaving town or getting drunk. You need to drop what your doing and go to work. It isnt always fun. Dont set your heart on doing something because thats when someone calls. Second if you cant get the line open good luck getting them to pay. Getting the water to go away and cleaning a line are two different things. There is money to be made but its not a GET RICH QUICK over night. Buy some good tools start small see if it for you. I enjoy it and make a good living. Grease Trap route tonight FUN FUN.

Comment

Today I removed a blade from a sewer that another plumber had broken off of the machine he rented.

Took me 2.5 hours because the pigtail I used along with the blade wedged in the pipe.

I got it though. It's in my truck, I will post a pic tomorrow.

Just stick the snake in the hole right quick. It shouldn't take you too long.

It's not as easy as it seems.

Here they require a masters license to start a drain cleaning company.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                  Today I removed a blade from a sewer that another plumber had broken off of the machine he rented.

Took me 2.5 hours because the pigtail I used along with the blade wedged in the pipe.

I got it though. It's in my truck, I will post a pic tomorrow.

Just stick the snake in the hole right quick. It shouldn't take you too long.

It's not as easy as it seems.

Here they require a masters license to start a drain cleaning company.
                  I broke a cutter off in a pipe today myself

It's been a rough week for drain cleaning for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X