X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must be doing it all wrong ?

I must be doing it all wrong. when I get to a job I check every thing out, see which machine I need then when I start to bring the machine in, the home owner tells me I don't need the machine just the cable because the last guy that was there two weeks ago just used the cable. he said it would cost a lot more if he had to hook the machine to it. I explain that I really have to use the motor or I will be back in two weeks too. At that time they start thinking I am scamming them, Then when I put the cutter on I hear the other guy didn't use any he just used the cable I explain why I use a cutter and why I pull it out and use a bigger cutter by this time I am the biggest con artiest there ever was. I have also pulled up to customers houses and they have a sink drain machine setting there with a 1/2 " cable that they rented to clean there 4" main line and they want me to use it as it is already set up and they just need me to get it unstuck then finish cleaning the line with it to save money. They would but they just got back from the doctor because the cable broke there little finger when it caught there wool glove. Of course there yard is full of trees. On these I call the rental place first and get them out there before I will touch it, I don't want to pay for there cable if it breaks so I can get it out to run my big cable in. Have I missed something are the little cable and there machine that much stronger then they were ? all the drain cleaners around here are switching to the 380 with 1/2' I would be scared sh_t less to tackle an unknown clog with 1/2 " in 3" to 6 " line.

Re: I must be doing it all wrong ?

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Even the other guy was doing it wrong. You suppused to come in with a flat tape hand rod and open the drain.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

hell if that is the case i could use my kinetic water ram to get the water flowin..LOL
        Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
        1-920-284-7471

Comment

i know for a fact there are companies that use toy machines to scam the customer. they have a waiver the customer signs and when they get stuck, the customer is responsible.

it's a scam all the way to the bank.

that's why they spend thousands and thousands advertising and i spend nothing.

i've heard this from the owner of one of these scam companies.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

you have talked to Mike?
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Got a few handy's trying to clear sewers here with Ridgid 400 with 1/2 inch
              and General easy rooters with 1/2 inch.
              Even had a customer rent a hand drill k-39 and try to clear their sewer.
              Last edited by UnClogNH; 04-22-2010, 09:34 AM.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I got a call from a guy recently who told me he had tried to run a cable through his kitchen sink but couldn't get passed 5 ft.

He asks "How much would you charged me to clean the line?"

Should be around $XXX, unless i need to replace pipe.

"That much?" Talks to guy in background "Um, and you guarantee it?"

I can't guarantee that I'll be able to unstop the drain because your blockage may be a broken pipe.

"And how much will it be if you can't unstop the drain?"

"Sir I'm a professional and charge to work. If I can't unstop the drain it's because you have a broken pipe and will need an under slab repair. If I can't get it unstopped then nobody can without digging it up. If you prefer, I can refer you to a company that can start digging or you can try me first.

Talks to guy in background.

"Well, O.K. then come on out."

Me - "O.K. what's your address"

"Um so you're going to charge me if you can't get it open?"

Me - "I'm no longer interested, goodbye"

Seems some people just think we're idiots. Even my uncle couldn't understand why I didn't do some work he needed done. He asked, so you just do drains? What do you just carry a plunger in that big van?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I have seen Home owners and property mangement companies use everything under the sun. I seen blow bags. Industrial acid. Cheap HF machines. You name it. Even had one customer put rock salt down the clean out. Said she was told to by the last plumber

Comment

Pretty Common here too

Comment

I ve only been licensed plumber/gas fitting since 2005 but have been keeping super busy. I am compelled to share how i feel about service calls after hearing your stories. I am getting so worn out with service calls that i have to spend 2 to 3 hours and charge our 250.00 plus gst that i actually dread getting calls for clearing 1 1/2 & 2 inch sanitary lines, fix a toilet, change a tap and have the customer ask for a discount at the end or do something else for free because you are here anyways. I appreciate the work but have recently started to say i am too busy, what about next week. Usually they move on. What has started to make me a little more happier and less aggravated with customers is to start doing reno plumbing and gas roughin and finishing. The money is twice as much and i dont have to drive to 3 places a day. You know where you are going to be for the next 4 to 10 days. I am now trying to juggle 3 renos at a time with a couple of decent service calls in between at any given time. I dont want to appear selfish, but i try to target a mech reno for around 7 to 12k and in between service calls around 1 to 2k each. I will now try to walk away from service calls under 500.00.

It is about being happy and earning happy. This seems to make me happier. This is a good forum and i wanted to share my last 8 months of job target experience with you guys. I have my share of lousy clients and finally learning how to smell out the good ones.

A wise salesperson at my wholesaler inspired me a year ago. He said he sold oil paintings in the park for 30 to 40 bucks each. He sold one a week.
                      Then he decided to go to another park and setup and started to sell his paintings for 200 to 300 bucks each and sold 2 to 3 a week. You know why? When you are high priced, he told me, something gots to be good about it!!! Damn if he knew what it was!!!! I used his advise. It is working so far.

Comment

To each his own; I'm so uninterested in installs it maks my head spin that you like it. I LOVE hitting 5 sites/day. Gives me plenty of time to run my errands in between here and there. I find it flat depressing to have to go back to a job. I couldn't stand showing up at the same building and seeing the same people for a week on end, roughing in ANOTHER bathroom.

Glad there are people who like that work; call me when your laborer drops his glove in the rough-in and can't get it back; we'll both go away happy.

Foo fighters sing my theme song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ04WbgI9rg

DONE!, DONE!, and I'm on to the next one!
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          To each his own; I'm so uninterested in installs it maks my head spin that you like it. I LOVE hitting 5 sites/day. Gives me plenty of time to run my errands in between here and there. I find it flat depressing to have to go back to a job. I couldn't stand showing up at the same building and seeing the same people for a week on end, roughing in ANOTHER bathroom.

Glad there are people who like that work; call me when your laborer drops his glove in the rough-in and can't get it back; we'll both go away happy.

Foo fighters sing my theme song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ04WbgI9rg

DONE!, DONE!, and I'm on to the next one!
                          Yea me too I like to move on. I stay at a job till it is done so I don't have to go back the next day. I have spent 15 hours on a drain so I didn't have to go back.And I want that drain to stay open as long as possible . I guess I am just weird that way I could make more money the other way but it would seem like a factory job to me.

Comment

I agree. I like my 15 to 30 minute air conditioned breaks between jobs. On to the next.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                            X