Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

    Yes JC. Click that link and flip thru the pages for referance
    Seattle Drain Service

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

      Thanks Cuda. What book is that? Reason I ask is they have specs for drive requirements different than what CAT has actually told me to use.

      Example: I have a CAT 1530 pump spec'd and two different distributors and CAT technical service have spec'd a 10 HP electric motor to drive it.

      But the book you have listed shows 16 HP???

      J.C.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

        j.c the cat shows electric horsepower / ebhp

        while the catalog will typically show gas engine horsepower.

        use this formula and you'll be fine.

        gpm x psi divided by 1100= gas horsepower. this applies to a good commercial engine such as a honda.

        with diesel the factor can get as high as 1715.

        with a cheap engine the numbers are 900.

        unless you have a factory that you can get 3 phase, 2 horsepower electric @120 volt is max. or 5 hp at 240 single phase. 3 phase can get you into the big electric motors.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          j.c the cat shows electric horsepower / ebhp

          while the catalog will typically show gas engine horsepower.

          use this formula and you'll be fine.

          gpm x psi divided by 1100= gas horsepower. this applies to a good commercial engine such as a honda.

          with diesel the factor can get as high as 1715.

          with a cheap engine the numbers are 900.

          unless you have a factory that you can get 3 phase, 2 horsepower electric @120 volt is max. or 5 hp at 240 single phase. 3 phase can get you into the big electric motors.

          rick.
          Thanks Rick. I currently have spec'd a 10 HP Single Phase to drive it.

          J.C.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

            Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Thanks Rick. I currently have spec'd a 10 HP Single Phase to drive it.

            J.C.
            you better verify they can handle a 10hp single phase motor. 3 phase will cost less up front and in the long run too.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              you better verify they can handle a 10hp single phase motor. 3 phase will cost less up front and in the long run too.

              rick.
              Met with the electrician already. They're going to be moving and rewiring several things.

              Thanks again.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                P.S. I checked with that company and they were pretty much out of the range of other's pricing for the same product.

                In short, they were 50% higher.

                J.C.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                  I want to build this jetter as soon as possible after getting a price from Jetters Northwest for their big brute model ( I believe Dakota bought one), ($6,600 plus shipping). I figure that I can build mine for about $4,000 complete. I have decided on the following components so far:

                  1) Honda GX690 V- twin engine ( Actual HP is 22.3)
                  2) Udor Pump(Cuda recommended the GC 30/17 which puts out 8 gpm and 2500 psi) This unit is a gear reduction unit( I'd like to build a belt driven unit). I don't see a keyed shaft unit rated for approx. 8 gpm 3,000 psi on the spec sheet that Cuda posted. If it's not gonna make a big difference with longetivity then I guess I can use a gear reduction pump. Model GKC3024GR is rated for 8 gpm and 3500psi...would this be better for me? Where can I buy the pulleys? Do I use a serpentine belt? I would also like to get at least 3000 psi if possible so that I can use it as a decent pressure washer once I buy a house. When i lower the psi with the pressure regulator, will this also drop the gpm accordingly so that I don't overwhelm an already slow 2'-4" drain? I would also need a belt guard . Thanks guys.
                  Last edited by vette850; 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                    Originally posted by vette850 View Post
                    I want to build this jetter as soon as possible after getting a price from Jetters Northwest for their big brute model ( I believe Dakota bought one), ($6,600 plus shipping). I figure that I can build mine for about $4,000 complete. I have decided on the following components so far:

                    1) Honda GX690 V- twin engine ( Actual HP is 22.3)
                    2) Udor Pump(Cuda recommended the GC 30/17 which puts out 8 gpm and 2500 psi) This unit is a gear reduction unit( I'd like to build a belt driven unit). I don't see a keyed shaft unit rated for approx. 8 gpm 3,000 psi on the spec sheet that Cuda posted. If it's not gonna make a big difference with longetivity then I guess I can use a gear reduction pump. Model GKC3024GR is rated for 8 gpm and 3500psi...would this be better for me? Where can I buy the pulleys? Do I use a serpentine belt? I would also like to get at least 3000 psi if possible so that I can use it as a decent pressure washer once I buy a house. When i lower the psi with the pressure regulator, will this also drop the gpm accordingly so that I don't overwhelm an already slow 2'-4" drain? I would also need a belt guard . Thanks guys.
                    Sorry my bad the 30/24 is the one I meant in the first place because it will do the 8gpm and will probably be 3000 psi at the tip on your nozzle which is perfect. The unloader doesn't lower the pressure it just directs it to bybass. To lower the psi use a larger tip (orifice) or lower the rpm of the motor but it will also lower your GPM.
                    Seattle Drain Service

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                      Also you can buy the belt drive pump on the page before if you want to go belt drive, as for the pulleys I think they are listed near the front of that catalog. They have frames in there also and unloaders.
                      Seattle Drain Service

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                        Ok...in that case I will be buying the following:

                        Honda GX690 V-twin engine (22.3 HP)
                        Udor GKC 30/24-S 8 gpm/3500psi pump (Belt Drive)
                        Piranha hoses- Should I buy a 1/8" by 150ft and a 1/4" by 250 ft?
                        I will be jetting some houses but mostly restaurants and condos (130ft high, 4" pipe)

                        Should I get a 3/8" by 200ft feeder hose?(From the jetter to portable reel)

                        What unloader valves are most reliable? ( I'm not spending $$$ for stainless)

                        I will be building the frame out of 1" stainless tubing and the gas and water tanks will be stainless also. Does anyone know if I can find pre bent 1" stainless radiuses so that I can weld all of the frame instead of paying big money to a fab shop to bend it?

                        How do I lower the rpm's on the engine, can i change pulley size? I would rather buy an oversized unit now for doing mostly 4" pipe with 5.5 gpm and then swap out the pulleys if ever need be. That way I don't need to haul around a large water tank with it when it's not even necessary.

                        I REALLY appreciate all of your help(especially Cuda's), I will post pics of the build on here as it progresses. This thing should be a real monster!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                          why not just buy square tubing and miter the ends?

                          you size the pulleys for the engine and pump speed. not to exceed the max. speed of the pump.

                          to lower the gpm with a direct feed you lower the engine rpm. with a tank feed, you can also bypass with a valve to the tank and maintain rpm.

                          if you drop the rpm too much, then the engine can stall and it also can overheat the engine. typically at least 2500 rpm is a safe range. below that and the engine can lug and overheat.

                          i suggest you price out a prebuilt skid unit with those specs and check the price.

                          they can put together a nice skid that can be dropped onto a cart and basically connect a hose too. but at 8gpm, you need a buffer tank. i wouldn't trust a hose bibb at 8gpm. you will starve the pump at most hose bibbs.

                          try www.camspray.com for a price quote. they are competitive and have access to the new 27hp. hondas.

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                            Plastic tanks. Mild steel for frame, square tubing as rick suggests or angle iron, or buy one pre-fabbed. No need for stainless anywhere. Extra expense and fab hassle, no gain.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                              hoses; see no need for 150 of 1/8". You are going to use that on 2" and smaller lines, which will rarely be over 50'. 35' serves my purposes 90% of the time.

                              I get 350' of 1/4", but mostly that is so I can cut and recrimp the end that gets abused. 250' is a pretty good minimum length for me, but mine runs from the machine in the van all the way to whatever I am doing.

                              Yes, get some 3/8", or even 1/2"

                              1/4" and 1/8" are going to make significant friction losses in an 8gpm machine. 350' of 1/4" at 5.5 gpm I lose almost 2kpsi just pushing it to the nozzle. you won't push 8gpm through 250' of 1/4" before you run out of pressure capability at the pump.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                                Good point...I was just thinking that I don't want to think about the frame rusting but after pricing s/s tubing...I'll go with the mild steel. Two coats of primer and paint should be good. So Rick, if I go with a belt driven pump, will I do any damage to the pump if I install a slightly larger pump pulley to DECREASE the pump speed and the flow? Either that or a smaller engine pulley? I'd rather do this then buy a smaller unit that way when I get 6" and 8" sewers I can just change a pulley. I looked at the skid set-ups on camspray's website and I will call them tomorrow. But I really wanted a unit that I could fit in my sprinter and bring up elevators when necessary, besides the fact that it kinda kills me to pay a company $3,000 just because they bolted a few thing together in 4 hrs. I'll go with the plastic tanks also....thanks.
                                Last edited by vette850; 04-27-2010, 10:13 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X