Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
    Good point...I was just thinking that I don't want to think about the frame rusting but after pricing s/s tubing...I'll go with the mild steel. Two coats of primer and paint should be good. So Rick, if I go with a belt driven pump, will I do any damage to the pump if I install a slightly larger pump pulley to DECREASE the pump speed and the flow? Either that or a smaller engine pulley? I'd rather do this then buy a smaller unit that way when I get 6" and 8" sewers I can just change a pulley. I looked at the skid set-ups on camspray's website and I will call them tomorrow. But I really wanted a unit that I could fit in my sprinter and bring up elevators when necessary, besides the fact that it kinda kills me to pay a company $3,000 just because they bolted a few thing together in 4 hrs. I'll go with the plastic tanks also....thanks.
    forget the paint; who cares if it gets some surface rust on it? If you are really worried about it, have it powdercoated.

no need for different pulleys; thats a huge hassle and not needed. just dial down your unloader, or just throttle down the engine.

On my belt drive ones, I set them up to allow me to overspeed them a little when I want a little more gpm.

why are you going to bring the unit up an elevator? you going to run a gas engine inside a condo building? that's just daft. roof drains? just park on the side of the building and throw the hose up to the roof.
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Most of the condos down here have exterior balcomies in the front where I can park the jetter. I know that you guys recommend jetting up stream for blockages but most of my work would be preventive maintenance contracts where there is already flow, so I figure it would be easier jetting from the roof down.(As long as i have my helper watching the cleanout in the parking garage to make sure the water is reaching the bottom) am I wrong?

Comment

I've never seen a clog (other than ice) in a vertical. for mntc, I'd just do the horizontal run from the c/o, or hit it from the bottom unit on the stack out if no c/o available.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

vette, i have this conversation all the time. jetting from a roof vent does not guarantee anything other than cleaning the first floor waste line.

i really wish the code was written to mandate that the top floor vent stacks on top of the top floor waste. but it doesn't and therefore unless you camera the line to know what vents are vents and what ones stack over the waste, you spinning your wheels.

p.s. jetting from the top floor units can be a disaster in the making. all it takes is for a lower floor to stop up and you'll overflow a sink in seconds. believe me, i've done it and i don't do it anymore as it's just too much liability with condos and the unknown.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I've had two clogs in the vertical stack, the first being a grease clog inside the 4 by 2 san-tee on the 13th floor. I was actually able to take care of that one with 10 ft of 3/4" pvc...WHOOSH!!!!! The second was a clog on the 3rd floor of a 2" a/c condensate line....that mildew can grow fast , especially when most people don't listen to advice about putting some bleach down every so often. Rick...thanks for the advice about not jetting from the roof....I will definitely learn from YOUR experience. I didn't realize that I could probably lower the throttle on my Honda to drop from 8 gpm to 5 gpm. Has anyone ever strapped some 1/2" pvc around the jetter hose so that you can go straight up a stack without accidently making a turn into a waste arm? I was thinking I could cut it length wise and zip tie it to the end of the jetter hose. No good?

Comment

I't pretty rare in my experience to take a wrong turn like you describe. I have used a similar trick to kepp it going in a straightish line when thawing frozen culverts. In a big line like a culvert, it'll tend to wander off and end up against a wall or even curve around and come back out the way it came in. In a smaller line like a stack, you'd have to have a straight shot into the vertical, which you rarely do have, to get anything like that in.

Comment

Working...
              X