Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

    Yes...I know that the subject has been killed already but I just want a simple answer to my simple question. My buddy already has the reel set-ups for a jetter but is contemplating which jetter to buy. I can get a 4200 psi/4 gpm Honda/Cat pressure washer for $1,000 brand new. Is this sufficient for 4" lines(primarily grease)? This will be my first jetter and I really didn't want to spend $6,000 for a 18hp/6 gpm set-up just yet......

  • #2
    Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

    Originally posted by vette850 View Post
    Yes...I know that the subject has been killed already but I just want a simple answer to my simple question. My buddy already has the reel set-ups for a jetter but is contemplating which jetter to buy. I can get a 4200 psi/4 gpm Honda/Cat pressure washer for $1,000 brand new. Is this sufficient for 4" lines(primarily grease)? This will be my first jetter and I really didn't want to spend $6,000 for a 18hp/6 gpm set-up just yet......
    good for 4'' grease with the proper nozzles and hoses, but 13 hp honda won't put out 4200# at 4gpm. 16 hp will.

    $1000 is very cheap.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

      It'll work. Won't be a no brainer couple of passes deal; you'll have to be intelligent and thoruogh, making mulitiple passes nice and slow.

      I'd say just get the bigger one as you will anyway, but $1k is pretty cheap.

      I'd think you could get 5.5gpm/4kpsi in the $2-3k range if you really wanted to and were willing to put the time into it; buy an engine and bolt ar's direct drive 5.5gpm pump to it, build your own frame (assuming you have a welder) or buy one from one of the pw companies if you don't.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

        So are AR's pumps just as good as Cat's....any major differences? Also, if I build a 24hp/8 gpm unit...can I lower the gpm if I don't need it for the specific job and don't want to set up a reserve tank? Thanks.
        Last edited by vette850; 04-25-2010, 09:52 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

          Cat used to be the good pumps but they have fallen a little they didn't keep up with the times. A/R are a middle of the road pump, I like Udor pumps, 2nd choice A/R third choice Cat. General pumps blow up pretty easy if used a lot.
          You can turn your RPM's down but pressure will drop also. But to save space you could use a 100 gallon tank and will need to take breaks.
          Seattle Drain Service

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

            That's It!!!...I'd gonna bulid one finally!!! Is a 24hp Honda engine powerful enough to push 8 gpm at 3000psi? Is 3000psi enough pressure for most lines up to 6" at that gpm?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

              yes 24hp will do 3000psi at 8 gpm and 3000 psi is a good pressure.
              Seattle Drain Service

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                Do you know of the Udor pump model number that I should be using with that 24 hp? Besides that...I would need an unloader valve, cart, gauge, reel with hose...what else? I appreciate all your help.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                  Here is a link
                  http://www.pagegangster.com/p/HarDl/184/
                  Udor Gear reduction model GC-30/17-GR
                  Seattle Drain Service

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                    Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                    Cat used to be the good pumps but they have fallen a little they didn't keep up with the times. A/R are a middle of the road pump, I like Udor pumps, 2nd choice A/R third choice Cat. General pumps blow up pretty easy if used a lot.
                    You can turn your RPM's down but pressure will drop also. But to save space you could use a 100 gallon tank and will need to take breaks.
                    What has CAT done to not keep up with the times?

                    Thanks.

                    J.C.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                      Bump. I need to know.

                      Thanks.

                      J.C.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                        Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Bump. I need to know.

                        Thanks.

                        J.C.
                        Why?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Why?
                          I have a CAT Pump spec'd for a job and I don't like to do things twice.

                          Thanks for any help.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                            What I meant was they where the leader the pump with 9 lives, the closet competion then had was General. There pump designs didn't change remained large, stayed with there high prices, Udor came along with new triplex designs, with a lower cost and bumped them out of first.
                            Seattle Drain Service

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 4 gpm jetter for 4" ?

                              Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              What I meant was they where the leader the pump with 9 lives, the closet competion then had was General. There pump designs didn't change remained large, stayed with there high prices, Udor came along with new triplex designs, with a lower cost and bumped them out of first.
                              So if I understand you correctly, they still make quality, but now Udor can offer similar quality at a lesser cost depending on what you need.

                              Sound right?

                              Thanks.

                              (I checked CAT, AR, Giant, and General for the job. I looked at Udor but not into great detail. Seems I couldn't find distribution and parts in my area if I recall.)

                              J.C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X