X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going over the top

i normally don't mess with stacking washer dryers as moving them is a pain and protecting the floor is risky. but today a good customer called abut a washer that was backing up and they already had the appliance guy look at it.

the bummer is the drain is behind the unit and the roof vent is not going to the waste line directly. so i had no choice to either refer it to a 2 man crew or be creative and put on my thinking cap

so here is how i got it done

i first had to figure out how to get the heavy rubber drain hose out of the 2'' drain that was 3' down from the top of the stacking dryer.

i used my garden hook to grab the rubber drain and lift it out of the drain while not dropping it below the washer.

then i used a 3' section of 1'' pvc to hook into the 2'' no hub drain outlet. prior to dropping it down, i inserted the 5/8'' sectional cable with a 4 blade cutter onto the end and then lowered it into the drain opening.
    placed the k-50 on top of the dryer just under the ceiling level and worked the cable through the pvc and down the 2'', through the concealed trap, san-tee and 25' into the waste line.

removed all the cable and gently lifted the rubber drain hose back into position and onto the waste stub.

started up the washer and tested it with a full tub. sounded good and never backed up

there was no room for error as moving the machine to get things back together was out of the question.

the owner was very grateful and appreciative as i originally was going to pass on this job.

here are a handful of photos to show the process.

rick.

looking down the back of the dryer to the rubber drain hose and waste line.

grabbing the rubber hose with my garden hook and lifting it away from the drain as to not drop it.

the k-50 with my 1'' 4 blade cutter prior to inserting it into the pvc extension pipe.

k-50 on the dryer inches from the ceiling. with a 1'' x 3' pvc pipe inserted into the 2'' drain. using 5/8'' cable with 4 balde cutter installed after inserting the cable through the pvc.

who said plumbers have crack.

tight laundry room and balance of the 30' of 5/8'' cable on the pull back.

middle roof vent would have been easy. problem was the vent turned towards the outside, yet the laundry was 7' from the outside wall. not even sure if the vent is still connected to the laundry line.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-23-2010, 01:45 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Going over the top

Doesn't that angled panel remove?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

What a PITA!
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Doesn't that angled panel remove?

Thanks.

J.C.
        it sure does to expose all the dryer inner workings. no way to get to the drain.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yeah, stackables are a pita. I see them a lot here in condos where space is tight. Foutunately someone had to get them in somehow so they've usually got long enough hoses I can pull them out w/o disconnecting them. I hate to disturb them as the are heavy and there's no good spot to get a grip on them. And we all know how stuff that's not been touched in 10 or 20 years likes to crumble when you touch it. I've gone 'over the top' before too. Helps to be skinny.

Extra nice when you get the double whammy of a stackable with one of those super-tight cast iron traps.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

lucky, all of our washer drains are concelled in a box not sticking out....
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Ricks Camera man is awesome! what is his hourly rate?

Great pics rick!

Comment

Hey Rick,
                Nice, being resourceful makes the money when done right!
                I just got to ask, did you mention to the HO the plastic dryer venting is a tragedy waiting to happen? And the flexible gas line may want to be changed to a stainless?
                Just curious.

Comment

This is what I thought of when I read the thread title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Ac7N0I8RE

Comment

I couldn't see the machines well enough but a lot of them do have access through a panel between the two machines. However, with the new front loaders you don't have a prayer.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      This is what I thought of when I read the thread title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Ac7N0I8RE

you too look like little girly mans LOL
                      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                      1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                      X