X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter Advice

I am looking to purchase a new sewer jetter for use in retail stores and commercial environments (3"-8"). I do not want to spend the money or the hassle with a toe along and therefore I need something that I can connect to a wall hydrant to get the full 3-4 GPM required. Budget is $4 - $5k.

My problem is that I hear a lot of bad news about the KJ 3000, that it doesn't do a great job...

I hear good things about the MyTana MaxBlast, but all my internet research tells me is that every company claims to be the best.

I need some honest advice from fellow guys in the field.
    Does anyone know the pros and cons of the various brands and / or have any ideas as to which would be right for me?

Re: Jetter Advice

nothing wrong with the kj3000. a good solid machine at 3000# 4 gpm.

but i wouldn't recommend these specs for your 6''-8'' lines.

great for 4'' and smaller.

it comes standard with a root ranger nozzle and with this nozzle it will destroy roots in the line. you just have to have good aim with it and work the nozzle blast to destroy them. most aggressive nozzle i have, but also the most work for a root nozzle.

honestly for 6-8'' lines with roots, you really need more water volume. either a trailer or a larger pump and water tank.

hopefully ridgid will build a bigger jetter 1 day and we could call it the jet-60 a jetter for everything from 1.5-6'' pipe

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

90% of my clogs are in 6" or smaller. I'm wondering how it adds up against other brands such as MyTana, Ultimate Jetter...

I cannot afford to spend more than $5k. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by royalplumbing View Post
        90% of my clogs are in 6" or smaller. I'm wondering how it adds up against other brands such as MyTana, Ultimate Jetter...

post their specs and prices.

basically it's a 13hp. honda motor with a pump. can't recall if it's a "giant" brand pump or something else.

6'' and larger with roots requires water volume as 3000psi will cut roots apart. volume is what cleans and washers the debris.

difference between a garden hose and a fire hose

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Would one of these work?

http://www.dirtcheapfaucets.com/Prod...eProductSearch

With needed accessories you will go over your budget. But you got to pay to play and the little bit extra now might beat regret.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by royalplumbing View Post

Why not put something together yourself? Buy separate components and put them together. Who knows, maybe you can buy something used to stay inside your budget.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I bought my KJ 3000 6 months ago and it works good on 4" pvc or cast. Have not tried on 6" yet but seems to be really strong even cuts roots with the ranger. Fits in the back of my van and I can get it in and out by myself.
              You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Would one of these work?

With needed accessories you will go over your budget. But you got to pay to play and the little bit extra now might beat regret.

Good luck.

J.C.

I think I can go for the General you mentioned as my supplier does both Ridgid and General. Obviously he prefers Ridgid, but he can get the General.

What do you guys think is a better buy for the moneys, the Ridgid which is around $4500 with heads my cost or the General for about $1000 more?

I like Ridgid as they have great service, but I also need to get the job done.

Comment

http://www.americanjetter.com/id68.html
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

so what is the run down for jetting rick? I don't have the money to buy one if I was going to rent one for a job what do you recommend? 4" smaller roots Larger roots? 2" Grease ? 3" Grease?

Comment

what diameter line do you want to clean, in inches? that's about how many gpm you need at a minimum. line diameter/16 is a good size hose for it (until you get to really big lines). Need bigger hose for more gpm, but need to get the hose in the line. roots are tough to do any good on with less than 5-6gpm, and not easy with that.

if you are like me, 97% in 3 and 4 inch, 2.5% in 6", 1/2% larger, occaisional roots, often grease, often ice, sometimes poop/paper clogs, then 5-6 gpm cart jetter, no tank for space reasons, 1/4" hose, and nurse it in larger lines and with poor water supplies.

If you have need for larger line capability then you need to step up to more gpm, space for a supply tank, and more $ for the bigger eqipment.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have a k-1500SP for big sewer roots. What I need a jetter for is grease and grime. I do mostly commercial repair and need a jetter for when the K-1500SP can't get through. I do 50% 4", 35% 6" and 15% either 3" or 8". I am thinking about either the KJ 3000 or another model with 5 or 6 GPM.

I would like to know the best jetter for this type of work.

Comment

5-6 gpm will be on the small side, espcially in the 8". It'll work, but you'll need to show a little care in how you use it to do a thorough job.

advantages of staying in that range are cost and space

for a low cost, low space solution, I like ar's pump. I like this because it is the only direct drive pump I know of in that gpm range. I like direct drive for cost and space savings, and for ease of putting it together because there are much fewer ways to get it wrong.

I've been running one pretty much daily for about 2 years with no pump issues that I didn't create myself. I ran it up to 4700psi or so once and it developed a weep at a seal at that time. My own fault, not the pump's. I've not bothered to fix it as it's not enough for me to worry about. It's been like that over a year.

No mfr I know of makes a jetter with this setup; I had one built for me. You can buy the pump and engine and bits and bolt it together yourself, or I can put you in touch with the mfr I used if $1k-$1.5k is worth the hassle for you, or you can buy pretty much anyone's 5-6 gpm/4kpsi jetter and be fine if the space and complexity you save with direct drive is not of concern to you.

Go honda on the engine.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X