Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Ranger nozzel

Just received my new root ranger nozzel from BILL in Austraila
    It has a 1/4" female Thread. He sent a quick diconnect coupling for it.

It Looks a little scary to shove a quick disconnect down a sewer line. Should i just thread it onto my hose or should i use the quick disconnect??

Whats the best way??

Re: Root Ranger nozzel

The answer will depend on where the poster is from. All the Austrailians will say use the quick connect. The Americans on the other hand will say thread it on. It's a matter of personal choice. How much did you spend on the RR? Do you trust that amount of money to a quick connect? If it was mine, I'd thread it on. But hey, I'm an American, what do I know?
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I thread just because it only takes a few seconds.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i thread because it shortens the total length and no way to get grit into the connection.

i guess they don't worry too much about the toal length as much as i do.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

If Cuda amd rock say tp thread it on then thats what im going to do!

Of often do you have to take the Root ranger apart to clean it?

Comment

if you flush your lines, never. remember that the 1 jet is much larger than a nozzle with 3-6 jets. still you don't want grit to go through the expensive turbine in the nozzle.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Do any of you quick connect to the foot-valve?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

of course, but that's not going into the line and exposed to grit or trying to make a turn.

i use them to allow for choosing between the gun and the foot pedal and also the foot pedal and the hose selection. but never on the nozzle in the pipe. the extra length on small size pipe is the difference between making a 90 and stopping in it. not to mention the grit and added weight to pull along.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I bought one of mustangs Root ripper back maybe 15 years ago cost me I think $ 750. It scared the heck out of me every time I used it. I only used it on the lower end and only on straight shots. I thought It would be easer then switching to a cable if I hit roots with the little 1350 psi jetter's of the day. Needless to say it didn't see much day light and I made sure it was screwed on tight. I haven't used it for a long time and I just use the little jetter for ice, or mud in a footer drain. But it I would screw it on tight.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but we quick connect everything! Maybe our pipes are different? I designed a special short quick release coupler with an o'ring behind the sheath to prevent it from blocking with silt.

It is a ballsy nozzle but you'd expect nothing less from a country that is home to Kangaroos, Funnel Web Spiders, Crocs the size of an F-150 and tree roots the size of your wrist!

The Root Ranger Nozzle is cheaper to buy direct from Ridgid US than from Australia. Freight cost kills it.
                    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill!
                      I quich connect everything! Just not my nozzles, I think one because of cost and two because I will admit to having a snake head come off before on me only to pull back a cable Locktite,lock washers you name it, I dont want that surprise on a nozzle.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Freight for me from Australia was only $25.00, Total cost with the nozzel was and freight around $350.00 i did not think that was bad!

How long should you flush your line before hooking up?

Comment

I Will agree with bill ,the quick coupling is the best.. I have never had trouble going around bends etc.... the turbine smashes roots to bits.I also love my new Micro reel ......

Cheers
                          Pressy
                          Last edited by pressy; 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                            Freight for me from Australia was only $25.00, Total cost with the nozzel was and freight around $350.00 i did not think that was bad!

How long should you flush your line before hooking up?
                            As long as your not dragging the nozzle along the ground after each job you just connect it straight up, some guys fit a quick connect plug in the end of the quick connector after each job... that's an overkill!
                            Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill.....If i have to re tap the threads to 1/4" pipe thread which is standard hear in the US. What should i do to stop the metal shavings from going into the orfice?

Comment

Working...
                              X