X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300' Drain at kohl's

I got a call today to clean a drain from the internet service I have been using to get calls since the phone book is not working out too good. I go out and run the K-60 135' no problems except I ran out of cable So I went clean out hunting I did this before I started and had no luck but figured I need to try again same thing to clean outs in any storage room nothing. I go up on the roof no vents except for 300' back from the city connection. So now I guess I need a jetter and over 300' since I would be going from the roof and back down. The only ones I can find to rent are 200' can you add hoses ? When you guys jet do you camera too or should I just buy more 7/8" cable ? I have never really gotten into this kind of drain cleaning for commercial apps. What do you use with these really long runs like this? From what I remember on here you guys open line 1st and camera 2nd and then jet last would this be a disaster to jet first .
    Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 05-01-2010, 01:39 AM.

Re: 300' Drain at kohl's

You won't see anything with the cam until the line has drained, but the sonde/locator can help you find another access (if there is one) by showing you where the line runs. In 300' there should be something. That doesn't mean there is or that it hasn't been paved over or something.

For my purposes there is always a better access than the roof. That is not true for everyone.

Jetting while still clogged can create flooding. You have to suss it out and figure out where it will come up, if that is going to be a problem, and if so how you can divert it somewhere it won't be a problem or otherwise control it to prevent damage. Because it will come up somewhere until you pop it.

Yes, you can add hose. But you need to be aware of what size hose you are running and what length releative to the flow rate and psi capability of the machine re psi loss from the added length; many combinations will work fine. Some won't.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

For real long runs I use the K 500 with the 2HP motor or my Rothenberger with its 1.5 HP motor to spin 1¼ cable. The K-1500SP is a 1¼ machine that can spin 300 feet of cable with its 1HP motor. I have spun over 300 feet of cable with a Spartan 1065, its funny their spec page says only 250 feet but the model 2001 can do 300 feet.

Well anyways I have ran into real long lines in the past, the longest I have done was 600', and the jetter was not an option at the time. We used the Rothenberger on that one with a 4 blade spear head to get the line flowing. Then we jetted the line clean. Too bad you are not closer, I could of came over and helped you out, or even rented you the machine with enough cable (my father says never borrow your equipment).
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Are you sure about your troubleshooting? You might just have the cable in the wrong place.

Tell you what happened to me once. I had a stoppage in a building, got a feel for where it was, and ran the 7/8" in there with the straight auger to start. Got to the end of the cable, nothing. (Can't remember if I changed heads and/or how many times.)

I just knew something wasn't right as I should have gotten it by what was going on and the layout. But nothing. Pulled the cable back and forth. Let it eat at a couple of spots. Still nothing. And two employees standing there with nothing better to do asking "You 'bout to get it? What's wrong?"

So I decide I have to try something and go in with the camera. Depending on usage, you can see underwater ok. Just have to outrun the sediment the spring is stirring up. Gonna' see going forward, not going back.

I push to a point where things just all of a sudden go white. No warning really. I look at the counter and the cable has already been past this point. I pull back and see nothing because things are stirred up and the pipe is completely filled so the camera is under water. I go forward into the "Great White" 'cause I'm not getting any real resistance. In about a foot, there is a clear picture of an open pipe with water running at the bottom. WTH?!?!?

By this point I've pretty much got it figured out. There is a white mass of paper/hygiene stuff from the women's bathroom. It would let some water by it but kind of "float" to the top at this point and the cable just would dive under it and keep going.

I pull the camera back a little, still looking at open pipe with water running at the bottom, and all of a sudden the pipe is full with water and you can see a horizontal whirlpool with that familiar & lovely sound at the cleanout.

Point being, think about the layout and what's going on as you might find it to be closer than you think. It could also be at 300'+. Might get it from the Manhole too.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

inside the building should be every 100' or 135 degrees. outside can be 300'. see if they have a set of plans to help you track down or understand the sewer layout.

jetting is fine as long as you don't already have a stoppage.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Well like always you guys are great always helping your fellow plumber
            I ended up giving it away I told the guy to call some one with a trailer rig since they would have 300' or more on their reel and a water tank since access is far away as well. Sorry guys I just felt I was not prepared yet to do this. But this could be a good thing for me time to get my act together. He is going to pay me for the two hours of work and machine rental of my K-60 $205 and wants me to call his office in VA to give them all of my info as he claim it is not cost effective to send his guys up to Maryland to do the work and this could turn out to be a real business saver for me you guys know it has been really dead for me lately. So at this point I think it may be time to get a demo from ridgid and really consider buying a jetter! so can you help me with what to get so I am not sold on some thing that is not going to get it done? Maybe give me a range of jetters you use and what for. I am also interested in some thing for 300 feet and over and like the idea of using a right angle drill with 1-1/4" cable but is it feasible for jobs like this I don't have a lot of room in my truck since I have a service body with no roof but a drill and cable I could store! Thanks for all the input thus far!!!

Comment

I would have told them they need to put in another clean out if the blue print didn't show one. I always look at the blue print before I start. One of these nights it is going to stop up and there is not going to be a jetter around.

Comment

They did not have plans. and we moved every rack to see if their was anything that may have looked like a clean out and could not find any thing. But looking back at it now I need to have a way of running out 300' of 1-1/4" cable out. I just can not decide and want to know if a right angle drill can do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                  They did not have plans. and we moved every rack to see if their was anything that may have looked like a clean out and could not find any thing. But looking back at it now I need to have a way of running out 300' of 1-1/4" cable out. I just can not decide and want to know if a right angle drill can do the job.
                  I never, ever, have any plans in relation to a buildings mechanicals. Getting anything from the city side is typically redundant as one can usually figure out the city connection in 5 minutes looking around. At least here. And it would be three phone calls, leave messages, and have someone want to meet me tomorrow. Frustrating.

Where did you clean from?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I did not get it clean . But I ran 130' from floor drain in bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                      I did not get it clean . But I ran 130' from floor drain in bathroom.
                      What was going on in the building?

I'm just trying to think if maybe you were going in from the wrong spot. If it was backing up in the floor drain then I guess one could assume you were headed in the right area though.

J.C.

Comment

every thing was backing up from the floor drains in the sprinkler room , the loading dock area , to the men & woman's bath rooms ran a lavatory and it came up from floor drain had to circle the whole building to find the city clean out broke it open and could hear the main in the parking lot for the other stores rushing by. I knew I did not have 300' and the k-60 was not going to go that far but wanted to try any way. Talking to unclognh maybe I should have tried going backward from the manhole ? it is done now but I wanted to know if a drill set up could go 300' it looks like no electric machine does. So I have been reading post ever since about jetting so I can get in to this line of work my experience is mainly all home plumbing not commercial work but were do you learn how to jet ? trial and error ? or with homes first ?
                        Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

The drill technique will become unmanageable as you add long lengths.
                          I can't see Rick going over eighty comfortably.

What about the 1500.

Comment

I understand why you did as you did. Hope you don't feel judgement. I was just asking questions for both of us or other forum folks to think about what was going on and maybe figure out how you could have gotten it with the equipment you have now.

Could have just needed more cable.

J.C.

Comment

80 feet ! ugh The 1500 I use to run it all the time at my old job . I thought I was going to be able to get away from that thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X