Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

drain machines

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • drain machines

    Thinking about expanding into drain cleaning, any suggestions on which machines and accessories would be the best to get started with ? And by the way, very little experience in the drain cleaning game.

    Thanks

  • #2
    FIRST QUESTION IS, DO YOU HAVE PLUMBING EXPERIENCE? IF SO IS IT IN NEW CONSTRUCTION. REASON I'M ASKING IS THAT DRAIN CLEANING IS MORE OF AN ART, THAN A SCIENCE. KIND OF LIKE FISHING.
    IF YOU KNOW PLUMBING FROM THE CONSTRUCTION SIDE, THEN YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER INSIGHT TO WHERE THE STOPPAGE IS. HOW THE PIPES ARE RUN, AND WHAT LOCATION YOU WILL BE USING TO SNAKE OUT THE LINE.
    AS FAR AS EQUIPTMENT GOES, HERE IS MY LIST OF MACHINES TO GET YOU BY MOST EVERYTHING.
    HAND GUNS WITH BOTH 5/16'' AND 3/8'' CABLES.
    SMALL MACHINE WITH 3/8'' X 75' AND 1/2'' X 100'
    LARGE ROOTER MACHINE WITH 3/4'' X 100'. WITH ADDITIONAL CABLE TO PUSH OUT IF NEEDED. (25' AND 50' SECTION IS GOOD.) ALSO I PERFER A CLOSED DRUM. I CAN TAKE THEM INSIDE WITHOUT THE MESS.(A LITTLE MORE MAINTENECE TO KEEP WELL OILED AND CLEAN).
    NOT A BIG FAN OR USER OF SECTIONAL MACHINES.
    ONCE YOU DESTROY YOUR CABLES GETTING THE FEEL OF IT, YOU CAN THEN PURCHASE WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR APPLICATION. PERSONALLY I OWN MORE MACHINES AND CAMERAS THAN ANY PERSON COULD POSSIBLY USE. I KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR ME AND WHAT DOESN'T. JETTERS ARE ALSO VERY GOOD FOR GREASE AND MUD. SOMETIMES ROOTS TOO. JETTERS I HAVE 6 OF. MESSY WORK, BUT GOOD RESULTS. GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW IF I CAN BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU. RICK.

    Comment


    • #3
      The poster here who will be able to help you with this question is PLUMBER RICK. He has nearly every piece of equipment RIGID makes for drain cleaning. I currntly avoid such work whenever possible anymore and all of the equipment I am familiar with is mostly obsolete now.

      Are you currently in the plumbing field? And if so, will you be doing most of the work yourself or will you have help? There are many different styles of equipment and each have advantages and disadvantages. Weight, ease of use, truck storage vs shop storage, one man operation vs two man operation. Are you wanting to do residential or commercial work? a combination? municipal?

      These are all questions that you need to address when deciding on this question.

      green frog,
      Do yourself and the trade a giant favor. Drain cleaning work is hard, nasty, and usually under appreciated by society. Please do not do this work cheap. It would not be fair to yourself, your employees, or the rest of your peers to to put a downward pressure on the compensation for this service.
      Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you, Plumber Rick, I have been in the new construction field for about twelve years. Any and all information is appreciated.

        Comment


        • #5
          GREEN FROG, THAT'S GREAT. THAT'S WHERE I GOT STARTED. IS IT NEW CONSTRUCTION PLUMBING? IF SO THEN YOU HAVE A GREAT BACKROUND FOR THIS TYPE OF SERVICE WORK. STILL NEED THE SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS. WATCH OUT FOR BACK TO BACK OLD DURHAM FITTINGS. SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO GO FROM THE VENT TO CLEAR THIS. TYPICAL APPLICATION IS TUB, SHOWER BACK TO BACK. SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO THINK BEFORE ACTING ON THIS ONE. MANY MORE TRICKS TO LEARN, BUT WITH YOUR BACKROUND, YOUR 90%AHEAD OF THE REST OF THE PACK. GOOD LUCK. RICK
          DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP IN THIS FORUM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not sure there is a single machine which will do it all. When I use a drum machine I use a Quadra-plex because it is light and easy to break down.

            If I am doing any serious cable cleaning I use a sectional machine. My sectional machines include a K-50, K-60, K-1500 and a K-500. Each machine has it's own purpose.

            Mark

            [ 06-30-2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: ToUtahNow ]
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              I noticed this on eBay:

              http://cgi.ebay.com/RIGID-KOLLMANN-5...QQcmdZViewItem

              That is one well used K-500 and cable. It looks like he was using 7/8" cable instead of the 1 1/4". Those bits have been in some roots I'd say.

              My K-500 is the most heavy-duty machine I own but I have never used anything smaller than 1 1/4"with it. As a matter of fact I rarely use 7/8" even in my K-1500.

              Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: drain machines

                Originally posted by imported_PLUMBER RICK View Post
                FIRST QUESTION IS, DO YOU HAVE PLUMBING EXPERIENCE? IF SO IS IT IN NEW CONSTRUCTION. REASON I'M ASKING IS THAT DRAIN CLEANING IS MORE OF AN ART, THAN A SCIENCE. KIND OF LIKE FISHING.
                IF YOU KNOW PLUMBING FROM THE CONSTRUCTION SIDE, THEN YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER INSIGHT TO WHERE THE STOPPAGE IS. HOW THE PIPES ARE RUN, AND WHAT LOCATION YOU WILL BE USING TO SNAKE OUT THE LINE.
                AS FAR AS EQUIPTMENT GOES, HERE IS MY LIST OF MACHINES TO GET YOU BY MOST EVERYTHING.
                HAND GUNS WITH BOTH 5/16'' AND 3/8'' CABLES.
                SMALL MACHINE WITH 3/8'' X 75' AND 1/2'' X 100'
                LARGE ROOTER MACHINE WITH 3/4'' X 100'. WITH ADDITIONAL CABLE TO PUSH OUT IF NEEDED. (25' AND 50' SECTION IS GOOD.) ALSO I PERFER A CLOSED DRUM. I CAN TAKE THEM INSIDE WITHOUT THE MESS.(A LITTLE MORE MAINTENECE TO KEEP WELL OILED AND CLEAN).
                NOT A BIG FAN OR USER OF SECTIONAL MACHINES.
                ONCE YOU DESTROY YOUR CABLES GETTING THE FEEL OF IT, YOU CAN THEN PURCHASE WHAT WORKS FOR YOUR APPLICATION. PERSONALLY I OWN MORE MACHINES AND CAMERAS THAN ANY PERSON COULD POSSIBLY USE. I KNOW WHAT WORKS FOR ME AND WHAT DOESN'T. JETTERS ARE ALSO VERY GOOD FOR GREASE AND MUD. SOMETIMES ROOTS TOO. JETTERS I HAVE 6 OF. MESSY WORK, BUT GOOD RESULTS. GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW IF I CAN BE OF SOME HELP TO YOU. RICK.

                I thought you don't like secitonals Rick...

                You are lucky you have Mark as a friend
                sigpic

                Robert

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: drain machines

                  You are pulling up threads from 2 1/2 years ago too

                  Mark converted Rick about a 1 1/2 years ago to the sectional machines.

                  How come my hubby is the only one working today?
                  I love my plumber

                  "My Hero"

                  Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: drain machines

                    Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    You are pulling up threads from 2 1/2 years ago too

                    Mark converted Rick about a 1 1/2 years ago to the sectional machines.

                    How come my hubby is the only one working today?
                    Got to keep the Queen in her comforts?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: drain machines

                      Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      I thought you don't like secitonals Rick...

                      You are lucky you have Mark as a friend
                      SO WHAT"S UP WIT-DA HOLE SHOT BEACH

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: drain machines

                        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Got to keep the Queen in her comforts?

                        Rick isn't working..he is licking his ice-cream with sprinklers on it

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: drain machines

                          Funny, but nope. He really is working. The phone stared ringing early this morning too. He is hot. . .and tired. . . and cranky.

                          Ice cream is tomorrow!
                          I love my plumber

                          "My Hero"

                          Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: drain machines

                            Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            You are pulling up threads from 2 1/2 years ago too

                            Mark converted Rick about a 1 1/2 years ago to the sectional machines.

                            How come my hubby is the only one working today?

                            I worked this am, 2 service calls. Rick dosen't crawl under houses, correct? It's hard work for those of us that do.

                            I just had my 3rd service call tonight, my wife stopped the sink up with peelings, I had to use my super vee top snake and run 15' to pop the stoppage She just dosen't listen when I tell her to use the trash can, luckily we have all ABS pipe in the house or this stoppage thing would be happening more offten.
                            sigpic

                            Robert

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: drain machines

                              Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              SO WHAT"S UP WIT-DA HOLE SHOT BEACH

                              now adam, you didn't introduce rick to the sectionals, so, no hard feelings, rick is lucky to have all us as friends
                              sigpic

                              Robert

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X