X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera use for hvac duct ?????????

Have a customer with a sick child. this has been going on for years. He has serious lung problems. Mom Moved Him to Texas from bay area. Sewer Bacteria is in the heating ducts.
    Mold in a moist crawl space area. How about a sewer camera in the ducting ? Maybe a smoke test for the D.W.V. ? Also I wonder what are camera charges around the U.S.
    I imagine the Bay area is the highest ! Thank You for any help,They need it !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Camera use for hvac duct ?????????

there are companies that do duct cleaning, (what it consists of I do not really know)
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      there are companies that do duct cleaning, (what it consists of I do not really know)
      Thanks, I do know that.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I would say you are asking for trouble sticking a sewer camera into anything but a sewer especially with a customer that you already know has issues.

The better person to ask if this is a good idea is your insurance company since they are going to be the ones to pay for everything once you contaminate their ductwork and cause their child further pain and suffering....

Do them a favor and get them in touch with a professional remediation company that can do a proper inspection and cleaning.
        Last edited by OkieBill; 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Duct cleaning is the biggest rip off there is. The only way that you can properly clean ductwork is to take it down and power wash it and reinstall it. If it is flex duct, throw it out and install new flex.
          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I have one of the milwaukee M12 cameras that I don't ever use on sewers, it's for looking in walls and touching sans rubber gloves. Seems like it would be perfect for searching through duct work.

I think with the issues you are describing a pressure test on the waste system is in order, followed by replacing the ductwork, and a thorough cleaning of the air handler.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I got a call from a customer a few years back, there son had been in and out of the hospital almost from birth. He had problems with his lungs, they had a company come in and de mold the crawl space took out the dirt, sprayed the walls and put a liner and dehumidifier in. They had the ducts cleaned and sprayed for mold and germs but it didn't help.The kid still got sick every time he came home. They had already moved from one house and this was a brand new house they had done all this work to. They called me to check there drains out, I asked if any one in the family had any problems with sinus, headaches,feeling tired or just bad for no apparent reason. They told me yea the wife had bad sinus and the husband had headaches and dizziness . I asked if it was worse in the summer and winter when the air or heat kicked on another yes that is the only time they had it now that they thought of it that was also when the boy had to go in to the hospital. I went out side and looked to see where the air intake was and hooked up the smoker, No leak in the pipe all the smoke came out the vent I asked them to take the boy out then I asked the dad to turn on the heat and I set off another smoke bomb. Went outside and seen some of the smoke being pulled toward the air intake. I went on the roof and installed a vent filter I told them that the vent was open no trap like a drain did to keep the gas from coming out, it was just a straight shot to the sewer and the heat or air would pull the gas in from the air intake and send it through the house through the ducts I checked on them a few times to see if things were better and everything was great the kid got better and everyone felt better. I don't know if it was just the vent filter or a combination of everything but that is how they got the problem taken care of but I also had a house with a flex duct that filled with water from the air but it didn't cause any problem but making the air not work.

Comment

Is there a furnace humidifier? I have seen them get septic and stink and fill the house with sewer smell, (I was asked to look for what was stinking furnace was running when I was there for another reason, as the furnace tech, was not able to figure it out,), this thing was on the back side of the furnace ducting and I do not even know if the owner knew it was there, but it was a black stinking mess,
                Last edited by BHD; 05-07-2010, 09:00 AM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  I checked in to it when I was a chimney sweep on the side, Got all the lit. and DVD. They just cut an access hole in the duct stuck in a rotating cable covered in a plastic hose so just the tip turns the brush and the vacuum sucks out the dirt and there is a spray attachment to spray the inside for mold, another type is an air jetter like our water jetter. I just couldn't see making my $ 3000 investment back any time soon if you go to Good Way you can see the outfit.

Comment

Wow, you were a Chimney sweep and now you clean drains? You are one dirty dude :-). If they ever need to replace Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs you should turn in an application.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
                      Wow, you were a Chimney sweep and now you clean drains? You are one dirty dude :-). If they ever need to replace Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs you should turn in an application.
                      Actually I did both at the same time, When I got married I was working for my dad cleaning drains Mom and dads social security checks sucked there was no way they could live on it, so when I got a new mouth to feed I bought a stove pipe hat and started cleaning chimneys. So in the morning I was up on the roof and in the evening I was down in the basement plus at night I witched out and hand dug wells before I would feed the hogs but that was just stinky ! You know after I cleaned a chimney everyone wanted to shake my hand for Luck but no one wanted to shake my hand after I got done cleaning there sewer or crawled out of the well covered in mud, and I wont even talk about after I fed the hogs go figure. But thanks for the tip maybe I will see you all in HOLLEY WOOD HA, HA,

Comment

Here is a video of a furnace plenum that is full of sewer and has a badly leaking sewer line under the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBl5oBTCSsg
                        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Update on sick ducting. A company came out and this is one of the problems they found.
                          Fecal bacteria in H.V.A.C. Ducting. Now I gutted out and re plumbed the sister home next door. built around 1936-38, S.F. The old C.I. was in tough condition. I wonder if there is a crack on a piece of C.I. and it has rusted through ,and enters the H.V.A.C.? This could be in a wall or ceiling. I need a plumber that can do a smoke test. Any ideas on how to best find one? I guess a smoke test on H.V.A.C. also. Thanks this family needs to get this fixed so their Son can come home. Thanks Tool

Comment

Check the condensate drain. Make sure it's not plumbed into the vent.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Great idea Gear. I'm thinking of drilling a 1" hole in the plenum for My Sea snake. The sewerage in the Plenem video is scary ! I can repair the 1" hole with a 1" Elec. knock out
                              snap in seal.

Comment

Working...
                              X