X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable repair

Has anyone used one of those screw on cable repair end for a 3/4 " general I/c cable the one that screws over the out side of the cable ? Did they stay on ? I have had no luck with the slide on tip that you tack weld on. I tried a screw in type but couldn't get the inner core cable out, I guess it is just for H/C cable I used an inner screw type on a 1/2 " EEL cable and it still is holding great. I hate to have a new cable with a broken end. I put the repair end on the cable and tried to un screw it with a blade attached and clamped in a vise it held but that is a lot deferent then a drain. I thought of tack welding but I just have an old Lincoln welder with the welding rod I use to build my adaptors and other repair but I think it would be too hot. Have went to local welders but they wont touch the cable. I have seen the local rental machine's cable end welded but with them if you brake it you bought it so they don't care if it breaks off in the line, any advice

Re: cable repair

Never tried what you describe... in fact never even heard of it. I've always used the ends that thread into the id of the cable. With ic I've had to grab the inner wire with pliers and stretch it out and whack it off to make room. sually it compresses enough to get out of the way.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i've used them before on general cables in 3/8'' and 1/2'' ic cable. you're right, the end caps you weld on are very hit or miss.

those screw on outside cable ends are good, but they don't flex too easy. so it holds good and is easy to repair in the field, but it creates a stiffer, less flexible end.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i've used them before on general cables in 3/8'' and 1/2'' ic cable. you're right, the end caps you weld on are very hit or miss.

those screw on outside cable ends are good, but they don't flex too easy. so it holds good and is easy to repair in the field, but it creates a stiffer, less flexible end.

rick.
        Its stiffer till you break it in. I have used these on my 13/32 and 1/2 cable for years with no issues.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
        X