X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memories of the job

got a sunday morning call from a customer i did a job for 12/06. told me where he lived and said it sounds like the same problem

i thought for a few seconds and actually recreated the entire job and layout in my head. no computer help.

impressed the customer and myself

joey not too impressed as she reminded me about yesterdays conversation. plumbercrack bill called to ask me a question about a water flex connector problem.

got home and told joey that i spoke to bill yesterday and can't remember what it was about she calls up bill and asks him too

bill is also confused and text back 5 minutes later as he forgot it was about a flex connector too.

so how is it i can remember an obscure job from nearly 4 years ago from a customer i've worked for 1 time. yet can't remember what i spoke to crack about hours earlier

sorry bill still remember our blind date

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: memories of the job

I do the same sort of thing. People call up, say we were out there whenever, I have no idea who they are. We talk a little bit, and it starts coming back, then bing there it is and I remember the whole thing. A lot of times I'll not really remember it over the phone, then when I get there I see the building and then I know it.

More than once I've gone out to a job for a new customer only to find when I arrive that I was there a few years ago, and it IS a new customer; the building was sold or changed mgmt companied in the meantime. PM jetting comes and goes that way. The new mgmt will do away with a PM program that has been working nicely for a few years, and then after a while they'll have a problem and end up calling me. And I show up and they are trying to figure out how I knew the perfect cleanout was hidden behind all the junk in that storage room, and then we talk and it all gets put back in place.

That is a part of what I want job logging on Connect to be. I want the history and knowledge in my head available to my tech when he shows up to work somewhere I've been, and I want his knowledge available to me when I show up somewhere he's been.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

sometimes i go to truck for something and when i get there i dont know rember what i needed.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        got a sunday morning call from a customer i did a job for 12/06. told me where he lived and said it sounds like the same problem

i thought for a few seconds and actually recreated the entire job and layout in my head. no computer help.

impressed the customer and myself

joey not too impressed as she reminded me about yesterdays conversation. plumbercrack bill called to ask me a question about a water flex connector problem.

got home and told joey that i spoke to bill yesterday and can't remember what it was about she calls up bill and asks him too

bill is also confused and text back 5 minutes later as he forgot it was about a flex connector too.

so how is it i can remember an obscure job from nearly 4 years ago from a customer i've worked for 1 time. yet can't remember what i spoke to crack about hours earlier

sorry bill still remember our blind date

rick.
        As you age this is going to happen more frequently. (Same thing happens to me as well btw). As we age our short term memory increasingly suffers. The long term memories we made before short term memory degradation begins still exist intact inside our noggins. With the passage of time, the long term memories do fade if they aren't accessed. Get this. Whenever we access our long term memories, when we "put them back" after accessing them they are slightly changed or altered. This is why therapy for problems that start with violent sources (war, battles, etc) call for repeated recollection and discussion of what transpired. After time the memory alters enough to cause less stress / problems. (At least that's how I understand it.)
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          I want the history and knowledge in my head available to my tech when he shows up to work somewhere I've been, and I want his knowledge available to me when I show up somewhere he's been.

Lately I've been writing on my copy of the invoice
          Footage, what size head used, location of clean outs, hypodermic needles found, etc... All things that for some strange reason I remember as soon as I see the drain. We are just a mom and pop operation now but who knows what the future holds. That information can be very valuable.
          I also store all my info by address, not customer name. Customers come and go but addresses remain the same.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by LThompson View Post
            sometimes i go to truck for something and when i get there i dont know rember what i needed.

I think I do that about 8 times a day
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

When I'm looking for a certain tool there's times that I can not find it anywhere.Later when I'm looking for something else the other lost tool keeps showing up.

Comment

I got up the other day to stump my toe but slipped and pissed.

J.C.

Comment

Walnuts are the signature food for the brain. They have a hard shell like your skull and a left and right side that looks just like your brain! Start eating them and you will start to remember things again! The guy I learned this from is a local bloke to you guys! Check him out...

http://www.dontolmaninternational.com/
                  Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

bill are you saying i've got a brain the size of a walnut

joeys always told me it was the size of a peanut

glad you set her straight

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      bill are you saying i've got a brain the size of a walnut

joeys always told me it was the size of a peanut

glad you set her straight

rick.
                      Joey was right.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Rick i think it was because you were talking to Bill
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Rick, I do that frequently when a septic customer calls me.

I bought a program for tracking systems I service. I can add all kinds of notes, who the installer was, who the inspector was, pictures, what kind of drainfield, etc. It will also allow me to set up reminders for service which I can pick how many months or years I want to set for return service. It's pretty handy. Unfortunatly they are not planning any revisions. I wish it had a place for realtors names and companies.
                          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                          X