Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Back to Back & Drop Head..... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Back to Back & Drop Head.....

    Just bought a K-39AF. Is a 25' drop head 5/16" cable ($50.00) worth the price for jobs with back to back fixtures or should I just put a bend at the end of the regular cable and finesse it in ? How good do these drop head ends work ?

  • #2
    Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

    Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    Just bought a K-39AF. Is a 25' drop head 5/16" cable ($50.00) worth the price for jobs with back to back fixtures or should I just put a bend at the end of the regular cable and finesse it in ? How good do these drop head ends work ?
    They work great!...

    'til they break off in the drain

    Go slow and feel your way in until you feel the double sanitary tee

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

      Thats right...until they break. I use a pasta noodle looking head with a small string attached, I just pull the string and bend it to go down.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

        I use a standard cable with the bulb head, I just have a slight bend on the end. If it is a back to back fitting where you can look straight across , you can shine your flashlight in the drain and see where the vent goes up so you can see where to put your snake to make the turn down.

        Now if it is a blind cross, I "feel" the cable as I hand feed it till I get to the cross, then I put the right kind of pressure on the cable then start the machine. There is not a back to back drain that makes a drop I can not get the rod to go the right way. Now if they put the back to back fitting on its side not even a drop head is going to help. I pull out my electric jetter with the corning nozzle for the improper installed back to back settings like that.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

          a true back to back is relatively easy if the stoppage is not truly right in the fitting. if it's at the drop fitting, you're going to fight it no matter what.

          i found that with the micro explorer or micro drain, i can watch for the tee on lines that are not true back to back but side to side.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

            I agree with SR. You just have to feel the cable. Only had one cross that I could not get the snake through using the lav drain, but the vent in the attic was easily cut and a co installed and now the drain will never give me any grief.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

              Keep in mind to push the cable in and then give it some slack, if it comes back out the pipe, you just went up the vent.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                Ran into one of these last week. It was a back to back sink and I just couldn't get the cable to drop down at the double san tee no matter how hard I tried. I had both trap arms removed and had a flashlight in the opposite bathroom. I could see right through and even with the visual couldn't get the snake head to drop down.

                After opening the wall and replacing the double san tee I discovered the clog was right at the junction and realized I never had a chance.

                But wait, next day, had a double vanity sink. Given the hassle of the day before I just assumed I was going to run into the same problem. Sure enough, ran the snake through the right sink drain and it came out the trap arm on the left sink. Ran it from the left sink and of course it came out the right sink trap arm. I just knew it was going to be a double san tee with a rusted out baffle, right?

                Here is the kicker. I discovered that the sinks were not plumbed into a double san tee. No, in fact, the sink drains came into the vertical drain inside the wall through separate san tees at different heights. Technically the lowest would have been considered a wet vent per the UPC. The problem was that the clog was right where the lowest san tee tied into the vertical. Talk about bad luck.

                Ended up having to open the wall again to handle. I am sure that if the drains had been ABS instead of cast iron, the problem would never have happened.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                  Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                  Ran into one of these last week. It was a back to back sink and I just couldn't get the cable to drop down at the double san tee no matter how hard I tried. I had both trap arms removed and had a flashlight in the opposite bathroom. I could see right through and even with the visual couldn't get the snake head to drop down.

                  After opening the wall and replacing the double san tee I discovered the clog was right at the junction and realized I never had a chance.

                  But wait, next day, had a double vanity sink. Given the hassle of the day before I just assumed I was going to run into the same problem. Sure enough, ran the snake through the right sink drain and it came out the trap arm on the left sink. Ran it from the left sink and of course it came out the right sink trap arm. I just knew it was going to be a double san tee with a rusted out baffle, right?

                  Here is the kicker. I discovered that the sinks were not plumbed into a double san tee. No, in fact, the sink drains came into the vertical drain inside the wall through separate san tees at different heights. Technically the lowest would have been considered a wet vent per the UPC. The problem was that the clog was right where the lowest san tee tied into the vertical. Talk about bad luck.

                  Ended up having to open the wall again to handle. I am sure that if the drains had been ABS instead of cast iron, the problem would never have happened.
                  When you run into blockages in the double santee, the trick is to get the cable to bounce in that spot it will slowly break up the blockage and dig in deeper.

                  Thing about back to back sinks is the "feel" of the cable and what the end is doing. I have a unfair advantage since I been cleaning drains since I was 10 years old with my father. I did not start to do plumbing till much later. I tried to teach many of helpers how to make the turn on a back to back sink. Some got it others till this day are clueless. It just takes patience and practice.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                    My first back to back was years ago when I worked for a drain cleaning co. I fought it for a long time, then finally it took the cable. I kept feeding it through until I heard something at the bathroom door, then I saw the cable in the hallway. It went through the other toilet, out the door and down the hall.....I bought a toilet that day...never make that mistake again.
                    The Other Rick

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      i found that with the micro explorer or micro drain, i can watch for the tee on lines that are not true back to back but side to side.

                      rick.


                      You going to buy me one

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                        Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                        My first back to back was years ago when I worked for a drain cleaning co. I fought it for a long time, then finally it took the cable. I kept feeding it through until I heard something at the bathroom door, then I saw the cable in the hallway. It went through the other toilet, out the door and down the hall.....I bought a toilet that day...never make that mistake again.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                          Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                          My first back to back was years ago when I worked for a drain cleaning co. I fought it for a long time, then finally it took the cable. I kept feeding it through until I heard something at the bathroom door, then I saw the cable in the hallway. It went through the other toilet, out the door and down the hall.....I bought a toilet that day...never make that mistake again.
                          ive broke 2 water closets that way. has anyone had luck with a shower tub back to back there was no vent between em and it was on a slab

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                            Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            When you run into blockages in the double santee, the trick is to get the cable to bounce in that spot it will slowly break up the blockage and dig in deeper.

                            Thing about back to back sinks is the "feel" of the cable and what the end is doing. I have a unfair advantage since I been cleaning drains since I was 10 years old with my father. I did not start to do plumbing till much later. I tried to teach many of helpers how to make the turn on a back to back sink. Some got it others till this day are clueless. It just takes patience and practice.


                            SAME HERE S/R I HAVE ALSO DONE MANY BACK TO BACK DRAINS
                            AND ALSO SOME WHERE YOU HAD TO DO PLUMBING WORK IN ORDER TO CLEAR THE BLOCKAGE
                            JERRYMAC
                            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                            SINCE JAN. 1989

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Back to Back & Drop Head.....

                              I never had a problem with them ( KNOCK ON WOOD ) I use the EEL cables with the EEL cutters that have the head attached to a spring Cable. I just keep the cutter spring bent a little I keep the bent spring C cutter facing down till I hit the spot and nudge it a little then push hard while I start the drill if it don't feel right I pull back but most times it goes the right way. Some times I have to run the machine in reverse to get it to go the right way. I do use a drop head if I run a long ways and hit one. The first thing I do with a drop head is I take the factory pin out and put a new one in. The factory pins are too weak and break every time, I replace them with stainless steal and Booger both ends, never had a problem with them breaking. I only use them if I hit something hard and cant use the spring C cutter. Or hit one out away's. If I hit one side ways I use the 4 bladed cutter with drop head and run in which ever direction the pipe goes the cutter turns and runs right down the pipe.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X