Mystery tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery tool

Bought off CL for $35. It's a sink machine that attaches to any drill, seems to be quite well made. I think it's an Erickson based off the drum and cable but really don't know. The switch on top is used to select which output speed the drum turns. The hose clamp isn't original to the tool so don't look at that part. Planned on keeping it just for a conversation piece. Does anyone know of any history on this?
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Mystery tool

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Bought off CL for $35. It's a sink machine that attaches to any drill, seems to be quite well made. I think it's an Erickson based off the drum and cable but really don't know. The switch on top is used to select which output speed the drum turns. The hose clamp isn't original to the tool so don't look at that part. Planned on keeping it just for a conversation piece. Does anyone know of any history on this?
    That is a very neat find, first time I seen it. I bet Marvin will know exactly what it is. Not sure if he is around though, I heard he was having some sort of surgery done. I need to call over there and get me 100' of ½" jetter hose.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

It must be vintage if Ron has hasn't seen it. If it stumps Marvin, it'll be the find of the century.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, it does look like an erickson based on the drum and double drop head cable. i say mid 60's.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

It was made by lewis sanitary in racine wisconsin it was sold by sears for many years as craftman tool. Lewis also made the unit with a knob to turn by hand. Lewis sold out to empire who later discontinued all drain cleaning tools. Lewis did have a head similar to erickson marvin

Comment

Thanks Marvin. Do you know what time frame it was built around?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi there Marv, hope all is well, thanks for the reply on this. I figured if anyone knew it would be you.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

It is more than 30 years old. Marvin

Comment

I used mine for about a year then put it back in the box and went back to the hand crank. That thing would always pinch my finger when I put the cable back in and would also give you a deep round cut on your finger or knuckle or web of my hand. I put a clamp on mine too to hold the drill then taped it good but it wobbled too much. The hand crank one was not that much better it still pinched and cut your hand when you pulled back. If you try using it use gloves. I like to get one of the old drain cleaners out and use them. Just for the heck of it. it is funny how the cables and heads haven't changed much. And my son likes to see me kick start my old Spartan drum or start the may tag washer motor on the stranded cable machine. HO what the heck is wrong with me I was just a young kid now I am old and my hair is graying. That thing is a time machine I better run out and see if my 1948 panel truck is still in the shed tomorrow I have a drain cleaning job that will net me $ 12.00 dollars of course I have to put in 10 gal. of gas at 23 cents a gallon and my dinner with drink will cost 60 cents. Sorry guy's just couldn't resist, it just took me back a few years GT.

Comment

Working...
                  X