X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockout 1, 2 punch

3 years ago was the first time i was at this customers home to camera his sewer. a few days later i jetted his lines based on the video. at the time his line was not plugged, but on the verge of plugging.

so yesterday/ 3 years later it replugged this time i had to cut through weeks of paper, sludge and waste. access was from between a deck board and into a 4'' 2 way c/o.

having the original video, i was able to home in on the root of the issue at 76' and other minor issues at 19' and 58'.

first i used my 1/4'' screwdriver nozzle to bore a hole through the sludge and roots. i used this nozzle as it's small and has a good pull with an aggressive set of jets on the rear and a forward nozzle to help bore. the sludge was not budging, but the jetter hose penetrated the 76' mark 6'' clay, and into the city main around 110'. the sludge was not coming back nor was it going down. basically holding it's own at 5.6 gpm at 3500psi.

so now it was time for the knock out punch

hooked up the 1/4'' rootranger with a forward nozzle. this started to bring up the sludge and created a mound of poo around the c/o

but as the heavy solids got liquefied the mass started to flow and the line was clear. so now it was time to concentrate on the cutting. pretty simple to listen and watch as the turbine nozzle was ripping and cutting into the roots. you can hear it working, even at 76' away and see the fog blowing out the riser. even had the homeowner at the manhole to listen for the entry into the saddle.

so between the 2 nozzles and my 18 horse power jetter, we knocked it out

rick.

4'' 2 way c/o under the deck with a mound of heavy slude/poo encircling the opening.

my original video with notes from 3 years ago. the screwdriver nozzle taking a closer look at my notes.

my tag team nozzles. the 1/4'' root ranger with forward jet and screwdriver nozzle.

not sure what the owner had in mind with his little canister cranker.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Knockout 1, 2 punch

Damn, That hasn't happened in a while. Wrote a long reply and ZAP gone?????
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

TWO WAY CLEAN OUT!! Rick, I told You TEXAS TWINS!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

remember i didn't install this c/o.

but yes, a texas twin is the way to go.

glad you thought of that

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Do you lime it down when done? No judgement, just wondering.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

no lime, it's dangerous.

let it dry and scoop it up like a cow patty

owner will do this in a couple days.

as you can see. it's a thick paste of poo. this has been plugging for some time as it was another 76' to the stoppage and more came out from the line as i got it flowing.

lysol or pinesol will help treat it and not hurt others if they crawl there.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Very nice!

What is the adapter between the end of the pressure hose and the root ranger that I see in your picture? Do you ever run your 1/4" root ranger off a 3/8" jetter hose with an adapter? Would this alter the design negatively given the jet port sizing of the root ranger?

Just trying find out for my own rig. Currently I use a 1/4" root ranger with the 1/4" quick connect adapters I got from the guys down in Australia. When I am jetting using my 3/8" remote reel and want to use my root ranger, I don't always want to pull out my 1/4" line remote reel so I can use the root ranger - I would rather adapt over and continue using the 3/8" line.

The same goes for my root rat and screwdriver (all 1/4" quick connect).

Thanks.

Comment

Looks like a 1/4" jet hose with a 1/4" x 3/16" or 1/4" x 1/8" swage tail then a reducing bush to suit the Root Ranger 1/4" female thread.

Rick has his reasons for this configuration, I'm sure. We run 1/4" male threads on both our 1/4" and 3/16" hoses so they adapt to all our jet nozzles.

If I was you I would use a 3/8" x 1/4" swages on your 3/8" hoses so you can quick connect or screw onto most nozzles and there is no flow loss.

You can run a 1/4" or a 1/2" Root Ranger off a 3/8" hose without a problem. If the nozzle in the RR is too small the unloader valve will just dump water back into the tank. Buy a 3/8" swivel x 1/4" male adaptor.

The ceramic tip in the RR hates sand/grit and rust. If the ceramic chips and breaks, the nozzle will loose efficiency. Always check the internal condition of your old steel fittings as they rust and the rust deposits get caught in the nozzle jets.
                Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

RICK...........What made you use the foward jet on the root ranger? The screwdriver already punched a hole in the blockage. How do you go about adding a foward jet to the root ranger? What was the total time on the job from start to finish?

Thanks

Comment

since i'm overpowered for this size nozzle, i have a little excess water to spare. it also helps push the sludge downstream and not back at me.

the newer root rangers are drilled and tapped for a forward nozzle. the allen screw is removed and the jet allen screw is inserted.

the screwdriver nozzle did knock the hole in the stoppage and the rr cleaned up the roots.

the fitting you see is a brass 1/4'' x 1/8'' bushing on the end. for some reason the hose came with a 1/4'' end and an 1/8'' end. i just bush it up and will swap it when i wear the hose thin. the hose is 1/4'' id.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X