Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business requirements?

Hey Guys,

Out of curiosity.. What does it take licensing wise to begin a drain cleaning business? Do you need to be a plumber or work under a licensed plumber? I am from New York.

I'm not looking to start one - at least not any time soon. I was just discussing with my brother how we do so much of it for our own properties and that we like it. I end up reading about it so much on the forum and it seems like a good gig most days.

Hosh

Re: Business requirements?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32308

Comment

Ok so I'll sort through the peanut gallery and post the very minimal usable answers from that here haha

MPM: (Hawaii) "either have to have a plumbing contractors license or at minimum a sewer and drain contractors license."

HerbertDrainCare: (Kenner, LA) "Here they require a masters license to start a drain cleaning company."

Feel free to Add to the list. I will edit and re-post when it grows some. I'm sure plenty of readers are curious. I myself am curious about NY. I've made some calls to the city but got nothing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
        Ok so I'll sort through the peanut gallery and post the very minimal usable answers from that here haha
        It seems that you should also be looking for a better attitude as it's going to be needed when dealing with the general population I was just trying to help

Comment

lol sorry asstyme.. after I hit the post button i realized it may have sounded snippy and I'm grateful for your post. It gave me answers for other cities which leads me to believe drain cleaners in my areas need to be master plumbers as well. Thank you! much obliged

When i wrote my reply I was kind of chuckling to myself about how many people answered the post Vs answered the question.
          Last edited by Hosh; 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

no special requirement here. but it's a hard market to crack. having lived here 14 years before i started this venture and being accepted into the community did not hurt

a plumber from the states came down here 6 years ago with the attitude that he'd just clean house and be the big dog, left island 2 years ago with his tail between his legs and big time into debt

every market/state/district has its own requirements. some legal some societal

good luck if you do start out. you gotta enjoy the smell of money

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
            X