X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Would You?

I have been doing alot more work for smaller resteraunts. i would like to get them set up on a preventative maintenance contracts but I have no clue how to even start with one. How do you guys charge per lateral? or how much time you think its going to take you? what are your selling points? I want to make it attractive to the owners I want them to be able to save money but I would like to make money. Any tips would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: How Would You?

offer an enzyme treatment package. an enzyme injector into the trap. if there is a blockage related to the trap then you eat a cleaning. if it's something else (scrubbies, plastic, straws, big food bits, broken glass, etc) you charge for a normal cleaning

there is a company here that does grease trap maintenance. if there is an issue that is beyond the scope of the trap then i get the call and charge for a normal cleaning. win-win-win for everybody involved

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
      I have been doing alot more work for smaller resteraunts. i would like to get them set up on a preventative maintenance contracts but I have no clue how to even start with one. How do you guys charge per lateral? or how much time you think its going to take you? what are your selling points? I want to make it attractive to the owners I want them to be able to save money but I would like to make money. Any tips would be appreciated
      Thanks
      I think the first question is what services are you willing to provide? That depends on the frequency of the visits. Plumbing only maybe every 4 to 6 months. Gas fired restaurant equipment...1 hour every month minimum depending on equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
        Thanks
        As a consumer I would expect some discounted rates over normal type calls.

Reason being is it's preventative maintenance. Preventative maintenance should give you better conditions to work with as lines may be only a little slow, but could use some attention.

You would have to justify what the rate should be based on your numbers.

Plus it gives you guaranteed revenue and possibly could lead to other work.

Selling point to a business?

You could emphasize no downtime or emergency calls to an owner from a manager.
        Cleaner conditions leading to better ratings from Health Department leading to more customers & income for their business.

Off the top of my head.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
          offer an enzyme treatment package. an enzyme injector into the trap. if there is a blockage related to the trap then you eat a cleaning. if it's something else (scrubbies, plastic, straws, big food bits, broken glass, etc) you charge for a normal cleaning

there is a company here that does grease trap maintenance. if there is an issue that is beyond the scope of the trap then i get the call and charge for a normal cleaning. win-win-win for everybody involved

steve
          Be carefull with this. Some cities don't allow enzyme systems. They say the grease simply moves further downstream before it solidifies causing the main to plug.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Leave out the word "preventative". Just call it a maintenance plan!

If that baby backs up one time on your "preventative" plan they are going to be mad!

Comment

JH hit a bullseye with that last comment. Seen a former boss get burned because he was doing "preventitave maintance".
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Selling points:
                - pm work will decrease (not necesarrily eliminate) unscheduled drain work, reducing downtime and unbudgeted expenses

- pm can be scheduled, allowing work to be done at times of minimal impact to business and allowing costs to be budgeted

- pm work can be done at a reduced cost because it is easier for you

- it is non-emergency so it can be done when you have a slow day, and if you get an emer call you can break off and come back with little impact to pm customer

- you can do it at times when you don't have to trip over employees and they aren't tripping over you, and you are not running sewer lines in a kitchen at the same time they are serving food; good for everyone.

- nothing is actively backed up, so you can jet w/o flooding issues

- it is being regularly maintained, so when you see it it is not packed from end to end taking more time to get back to clean.

- they may end up paying for some pm work they didn't need just then, but it ends up being about the same because if they wait until it backs up they have a mess, downtime, and more cost in that job because the line is way dirtier and there flood management issues with jetting so it takes longer to do right.

pm programs are good for the kitchen manager, and good for the drain cleaner. budgetable, schedulable, predictable, hassles eliminated on both ends.

emphasize that pm is not 100% insurance against clogging/backups. it will reduce or eliminate problems from buildup over time from normal usage, but you cannot guard against events of abuse like objects or whole pots of pasta or grease getting dumped.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The only problem I had was they wanted it done after they closed at night. This made for a lot of midnight calls for inside drilling. Out side drains I could do most any time at restaurants. Factory's Were after 5:30 PM. But it was good steady work till some chain bought them out and they already had a maintainens co. that did all the maintence work, elect, plumb,building repair. stopped in and talked and gave cards and got all the emergency calls.More midnight work.

Comment

I've had problems with people sticking with the program. Charge normal rates if they fall too far behind. I will onlyl pm a whole place to easy to have other issues only doing half the place.

Comment

Working...
                    X