Drilling Cast Iron Pipe....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling Cast Iron Pipe....

Some of the older houses I service do not have a cleanout in the basement on the 4" cast pipe for under floor blockages. Would it be advisable to drill a hole with a hole saw to get access and then patch it with a fernco ? If so what would be the largest hole saw one should use ?

I have been at several locations where someone has chiseled a rough/jagged hole in the 4" pipe just big enough to gain access. I'm thinking drilling a hole would be safer and more professional ?

Just a note.... I do know the correct way one should go about this but I'm not a plumber. I just try to get things flowing
    Last edited by AssTyme; 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM.

Re: Drilling Cast Iron Pipe....

Do it right or don't do it at all.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Do it right or don't do it at all.

If he's not a plumber he shouldn't be installing cleanouts, yet the customer may not necesarily want to wait until a plumber can come out. I say it's a valid question. I don't have an answer for it though.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

cut in a clean out tee & plug w/ proper connectors for a legal job.

Comment

a hole saw is not easy on cast iron. but a 4.5'' grinder with a cut off wheel will make a nice clean cut.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

You are work on plumbing and this is no way a proper way to do things. Clean out or roof top access is the way to go. breaking holes is a joke man snap in a clean out at least for the next guy.

Comment

Is it possible for you to find a Plumber to install a clean outs for you?

You just do what it takes to clear the drain and then have the plumber come out and install the cleanout later. You could add the cleanout as an extra.

Comment

Use an angle grinder and cut in a cleanout T with a fernco. You are asking because you care about the work and the looks of it. You want it to look professional and you want to be a professional. So stop monkeying around and do it right. There are plenty of hacks out there with a license that are more than willing to make a mess of it. I would rather deal with someone unlicensed that actually cares and wants to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                  Is it possible for you to find a Plumber to install a clean outs for you?

You just do what it takes to clear the drain and then have the plumber come out and install the cleanout later. You could add the cleanout as an extra.

Originally posted by kevin Jones
                  Use an angle grinder and cut in a cleanout T with a fernco. You are asking because you care about the work and the looks of it. You want it to look professional and you want to be a professional. So stop monkeying around and do it right. There are plenty of hacks out there with a license that are more than willing to make a mess of it. I would rather deal with someone unlicensed that actually cares and wants to learn.

As previously mentioned in my original post... I know what SHOULD be done but that is just not going to happen. These are all older low dollar rental houses and the owners and tenants just want the mess out of their basement and for their drains to flow. They will not pay for extra's. I was just looking for an easier, safer and somewhat more professional looking way for me to to my job without pulling a toilet or climbing a roof.
                  Last edited by AssTyme; 05-31-2010, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                    As previously mentioned in my original post... I know what SHOULD be done but that is just not going to happen. These are all older low dollar rental houses and the owners and tenants just want the mess out of their basement and for their drains to flow. They will not pay for extra's. I was just looking for an easier, safer and somewhat more professional looking way for me to to my job without pulling a toilet or climbing a roof.
                    If I cannot do the job correctly, then I will walk off and let somebody else do it. I do not give the customer an option when it is just simply what is required.

I completely understand not wanting to pull a toilet or run the roof vent. One question you need to present to the customer is...do you think a proper cleaning of the drain lines can be accomplished without proper access?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
                      If I cannot do the job correctly, then I will walk off and let somebody else do it. I do not give the customer an option when it is just simply what is required.

I completely understand not wanting to pull a toilet or run the roof vent. One question you need to present to the customer is...do you think a proper cleaning of the drain lines can be accomplished without proper access?

A few of these guys own well over 100 rental units each. I'm NOT going to lose the accounts.

Comment

I think it would be quicker to support the stack cut out a section and put a PVC CO tee in with some no-shear couplings.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        Ron's Facebook
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                          A few of these guys own well over 100 rental units each. I'm NOT going to lose the accounts.
                          If they have so many accounts and this happens frequently enough, then it would save time and money in the long run to install good accesses.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            I think it would be quicker to support the stack cut out a section and put a PVC CO tee in with some no-shear couplings.
                            Hopefully the floor flange above is in place and supported by solid wood. A different approach for You. Installed a tapped Tee with 2 BANDED Mission clamps. Learn to do these fast,neat ,and smart. Be able to give the landlords an attractive price,while making money.
                            All will be served well!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I know what you are saying with the landlord having numerous properties. I believe that it would be in your best interest and the owners interest to invest in some co's where needed. It may boil down to you installing them but just make sure that they are located at the right height . Just explain to the owners that in order to properly clear the drain you need the proper access.

Comment

Working...
                              X