X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 Troubles

Having Trouble with one of my k-60s. The Cable will not turn. I just replaced the chuck thinking it was bad which it was but apparently that wasn't the problem. The Belt is good and the handle appears to operate properly. I took the head off turn it on and pushed handle down, it moves forward O.K and is spinning great anybody got any Ideas

Re: k-60 Troubles

Dear Drainsdonecheap, from your description of your machine (took the head off) it appears that you have our new K60SP machine. The original version of the K60 was a square suitcase looking machine with the clutch handle on the side. If your machine has the handle on the top of the machine, it is the new version and our suggestions are based on the newest model. If it is the old design, I suggest you contact our technical service @ 1-800-519-3456 for some additional help.

Since you have already replaced the clutch jaws, you issue may be simply a need to adjust the new jaws to you drain cable. To make this adjustment, you should do the following:

With the machine unplugged, slide a section of drain cable through the spindle of your machine. When you push down on the clutch handle, it should not make contact with the top of the machine housing. If it does, then the clutch adjustment is required.
    To adjust the clutch jaws, loosen the set screw on side of the rear housing of the machine (this is the silver casting with the built in carrying handle). With the cable in the machine, lower the clutch handle until it stops. Based on your description of the problem, we believe it will be very close or even contacting the top of the machine at this point. Remove the guide hose if it is still attached to the machine. Grip the BLACK nose piece and rotate this clockwise. As the nose is rotated, you should see the clutch handle rising away from the top of the machine housing. Continue to rotate the nose piece until the clutch handle has lifted away from the machine housing and is approximately 1/2 way between the housing (lowest limit) and the full upright position. The handle height is based on operator preference but Ridge Tool recommends a setting of about 1/2 way between the two extremes.
    Retighten the set screw on the housing and your jaws should now be properly set for the cable in your machine.
    Since the K60SP can accommodate both 5/8" and 7/8", you will have to readjust your clutch jaws if you are changing cable sizes. Rotate the nose piece Clockwise for adjusting for small cable, counter clockwise for larger cable adjustment.
    If this adjustment does not resolve your problem, contact technical service at the number above for further help.
    Ridge Technical Service

Comment

I had a problem where the moter would fire up belt would move but when i would put the handle down the cable would not turn...........the set screw on the coupling of the shaft that the belt goes on was loose and it would cause the coupling not to hold tight on the shaft and slip..........check the tiny set screw.

Comment

there are 2 main bearings and if they are bad, they will overload the machine and make it not want to spin under load.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I hate when people have a problem, you give them tips and they NEVER reply back on what fixed the problem!

Comment

Found Trouble, Bearings stuck in front of jaw assembly, wont turn, I dont see anyway to get to them to inspect so im calling ridgid

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              there are 2 main bearings and if they are bad, they will overload the machine and make it not want to spin under load.

rick.
              Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
              Found Trouble, Bearings stuck in front of jaw assembly, wont turn, I dont see anyway to get to them to inspect so im calling ridgid
              actually it's not too difficult to replace the bearing.

i've done it twice and it doesn't require much work. i found that the bearing is easy to remove with a little heat. the loctite used to glue the race to the rack with shaft assembly.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B12B3AF...Machine_PL.pdf

mine was lodged inside the pulley and was difficult without the heat as there was no way to drive it out.

the bearings are metric size and are pretty common from the auto parts store. get the double shielded ones as they will help keep out water. buy 2 as the rear bearing might need to be replaced too. the bearing trade size is stamped on the dust shield. if you need it, i'll look it up from mine.

if all goes well,less than 1/2 hour to be fully running.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
                one nice thing with this site lots of exp. just ask rick he owns and love K-60 actualy reading his threads got me to buy mine and no regrets good luck fixing yous and getting back to makeing $$$ with it
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                X