Pipe Wrenchs....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Wrenchs....

For 10" to 18" pipe wrenches which do you prefer, aluminum or steel ? A lifetime guarantee would also be nice. These would mostly be used for cracking off cleanout caps. Would need to stand up to some abuse
    Last edited by AssTyme; 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM.

Re: Pipe Wrenchs....

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    For 10" to 18" pipe wrenches which do you prefer, aluminum or steel ? A lifetime guarantee would also be nice. These would mostly be used for cracking off cleanout caps. Would need to stand up to some abuse
    I would say steel on both if your going to put a sledge hammer to them on occasion.

Another option is Jerrymac is selling a new clean out wrench set.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have both the aluminum and steel, but I prefer the steel ones better.I just feel that they seem to hold up better.

Comment

I have a 24" steel lennox for the beating jobs but keep 10"- 18" Ridigid aluminums for pipework.

So I guess I'm in the both camp as well

Bill

Comment

Wrench! I don't need no stinking wrench. I just stare at the sewer cap and it turns it's self
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I have both steel and aluminum pipe wrenches from 6" to 24". All of my straight 10" to 24" are Ridgid Aluminum (2 of each sizes) and one each of the 14" and 18" Ridgid aluminum offsets, but my steel pipe wrenches are a mixture of Ridgid, Proto, Craftsmans, and one Mastercraft. I tend to grab the aluminum ones first for some reason.

Comment

a little trick. put bicycle grips on the aluminum ones to protect the ends and keep the cheaters off of them.

steel handles are for cheaters

turning wrenches all day in pairs, i use aluminum. for c/o's i use steel with a cheater if need be or my specialty sockets and 3/4'' drive.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I went with steel Rothenberger wrenches. Sears.com had them for 20% off with free shipping last week. They seemed like the best bang for the buck.

Comment

I got a few aluminum wrenches while I was re-tooling after a burglulary

I had never owned an aluminum wrench before

I like them, but it's still weird, as i'm used to heavier wrenches... especially since i've been using a 24" steel alot

when I ordered my 36" I considered aluminum, but for as many times as i've done chin-ups and/or handstands on my 24" steel, I decided steel would probably be a smarter idea

Comment

I just got a 36 alum Jonesway. I was surprized with how nice of a wrench it was. Fastenal, it was cheap too. I dont use it offen, but it nice to have.

Comment

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...-plug-wrenches

Worth every penny
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

have had mine for many years and there is little that these won't remove. sometimes a little heat or a little pounding.

wish ridgid would bring back their 1/2'' drive mcmannis wrench. i only have 1

plus the perfecto 1

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

i've got a 24" aluminum on the "eventually list"

right now I only have 1 of each size over 14"

there's a 48" steel in the shop that I can borrow, so i'm not in a hurry to get my own

I really ought to try and find a compound leverage wrench

Comment

Definitely Aluminum! As much as a Well Driller uses a Pipe Wrench, that's the only one I used. Riggid Aluminum, 14" and 24". I've used 5' pieces of two inch pipe on the 14" wrenches and couldn't hurt them. Same on the 24". They are tougher than they look. I have broken a few handles, but I was abusing them and should have grabbed a larger wrench. My fault not Ridgid's.

I have had other brands of wrenches given to me and wore them out in no time. The jaws were dull in just a few days.

Another thing, when your using them as a hammer, use the face not the bubble(that's for the lack of a better term) around the hook jaw. You can break the bubble if your really coming out of the sky on a solid piece of iron.
                            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I carry 1 set of steel and AL from 10" to 24". Most of them are ridgid and they were aquired over the years. We also keep AL 36" and 48" at the shop. I have put 10' cheater bars on the AL 36 and 48 without any issues. Breaking down and rebuilding propane dispensing plants can offer several chin ups...
                              Last edited by Kevin Jones; 06-16-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X