X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Drain issue

I have an old (100+ year) house with a main drain that looks like it has 100 years of caked on crud, that significantly reduces the inside diameter of the drain. Is there a way to gain back some of the inside diameter without replacing the drain? the drain works, but surely it is working a limited capacity. Is this simply a job for a sewer snake with the right head attachment?

Thanks. Jan

Re: Main Drain issue

i would say have it jetted and camed
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

This is about 50% of the work I do if they Use drain cleaner. I tried a small jetter from the top down and it just put the rust in piles if you can go from the bottom up it is ok. I use a cable machine with the 4 blade cutter and run C cutters till I get one that is as big as the pipe it will scrape the pipe down to bare metal just take it slow and let the cutter do the work. I also use the 4 blade to grind through cement that some DIY got in the trap.

Comment

why not just jet the line ? wont you still have to flush the line if you run a drain machine or are you worried it will get packed shut?

Comment

Believe it or not, drains got cleaned with cables, for a loota Years before jetters were around !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Believe it or not, drains got cleaned with cables, for a loota Years before jetters were around !
            Sorry toolaholic I say drains got cleared with cables but only get cleaned with a jet. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

Comment

Jan,

Likely it can be cleaned up and made serviceable. Possible that replacement is the best option. Re-lining or other trenchless techniques might also be an option, though these are expensive and generally make the most sense when digging is very difficult because of other utilities, roads, buildings, etc cluttering the area.

Size of pipe? (probably 4", we are talking about it's diameter here)

Material of pipe? (probably cast iron, maybe clay, maybe something else).

Lenght of run that needs attention?

Access to pipe (cleanout(s), pulled toilet, etc.)?

Clay cleans up nicely with a jetter, but rarely cakes up the way you describe. That is why I suspect your line is cast iron (though I saw a PVC line so caked with debris I thought it was cast until after I jetted it a few days ago). Often in clay there are issues with roots growing in at the joints between sections. Sometimes issues with cracking. There are ways to address this depending what you have.

Cast iron takes a little more time and effort, but this can be done in iron as well. Either with a powerful enough jetter and the right nozzle, or with a chain knocker or similar device to remove the scale from the interior walls of the pipe followed by jetting to wash the removed scale out.

Anything you do needs to be addressed by first video inspecting the line with a pipe camera to determine the extent of the problem, probably jetting to clean up the line, and then another camera inspection to see if anything still needs attn.

I'd suggest you ask around to family, friends, co-workers, etc for a referral to a good company that does this work. Then call up, make sure they have a camera and a jetter (minimum 4gpm), and ask what it might cost to get this done.

Back up your thinking a bit as well, and ask youself how you know it needs to be done. Have you had repeated problems? Did you have a one off problem and that was how the state of the pipe became known? What was the extent of the cost and inconvenience of having that happen? What is the likelyhood of it recurring and what are the costs of a recurrence? Would it be prudent to wait and see how it does before spending the $ and effort at this time? Or is it more prudent to get it taken care of now?

It seems you must be using someone with a camera to know as much as you do. Are they suggesting the replacement? If so, it might be wise to get another opinion. Have they said it is not possible, or not cost effective, to clean the pipe? If so, why? If they made a recording of the inspection, we here can look at it if you post it and give you an opinion.

Be warned; it has become not uncommon practice for dishonest people to advise replacement where it is not really necessary, even to the point that they will show you a video of another line that clearly does need replaced and tell you it is of your line when it is not. This might not be what is going on at all, but be aware it does happen.

Good luck, and happy to help with any further questions.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by epc View Post
                Sorry toolaholic I say drains got cleared with cables but only get cleaned with a jet. Just my thoughts for what its worth.
                I do know a jetter does a superior Job,i have one. Some folks have little $$ , and can always rent a snake.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by epc View Post
                  I can clear a line with a snake as good as any jetter out there. In some cases even better than a jetter. Now can I clean a drain as fast as a jetter can? Sometimes... it all depends on the job and where I am getting my water from.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I can clear a line with a snake as good as any jetter out there. In some cases even better than a jetter. Now can I clean a drain as fast as a jetter can? Sometimes... it all depends on the job and where I am getting my water from.
                    hmmm... I know your good bro but any jetter out there?
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      hmmm... I know your good bro but any jetter out there?
                      lol, yes I can even clear 24" drains with one of my rodders. Granted l do not have a rodder to clear anything larger, or do I have a jetter that big.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                      X