K-1500 motor upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1500 motor upgrade

So I've got Speedy Kollmann 1500 and his younger cousin Ridgid-Kollmann KM-1500 in the arsenal. Currently we rotate use on them, but I was thinking of swapping the motor out on Speedy to a larger hp. My thought was to make something with more beef than the 1500SP (more like the old K-500) and put a 2hp motor on it. Speedy still has the original motor on it from the 60's and I've noticed some reduction in power on longer runs lately (I'm usually 120'-160' out in 6" runs).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone (Mark or Ron) have any comparisons on function of the 500 and 1500 in terms of power and torque?

-Chris

Re: K-1500 motor upgrade

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
    So I've got Speedy Kollmann 1500 and his younger cousin Ridgid-Kollmann KM-1500 in the arsenal. Currently we rotate use on them, but I was thinking of swapping the motor out on Speedy to a larger hp. My thought was to make something with more beef than the 1500SP (more like the old K-500) and put a 2hp motor on it. Speedy still has the original motor on it from the 60's and I've noticed some reduction in power on longer runs lately (I'm usually 120'-160' out in 6" runs).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone (Mark or Ron) have any comparisons on function of the 500 and 1500 in terms of power and torque?

-Chris
    Trouble with a 2 hp motor I found with the K-500 was if you do not plug into a 20 amp circuit you will blow fuses.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

1.5 h.p will draw around 13 amps under normal load. you should be fine.

remember that the motor is only part of the equation. the clutch jaws, belt and pulley are the others.

i would think a new 1hp will be sufficient for those numbers.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I think I am making a trip to Utah this month so if anyone needs a KM1500 or a K500 let me know. I am 100% sure shipping will be too expensive so you need to be local. I am also going to bring back pipe stands and 300 power vices. There may even be a like new 141 geared threader sitting around.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
        X