Sewer machines-what to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer machines-what to buy?

I'm looking at the General Speedrooter 92 and Ridgid k-7500. I'm looking for a machine for mainline blockages (3"-4" mostly). I have never used a sectional machine, i've never even seen one in action. To me they seem like they would be a pain in the butt to use. Maybe i'm wrong. Everyone one here seems to like the K-60. Could someone tell me the advantage of a sectional drain cleaner? What about the General I-95?

Thanks
    Will

Re: Sewer machines-what to buy?

The one big diference is weight I used K-7500 for the last 11 years and I just got the k-60 and so far so good but I have a lot of roof rodds if you will be staying on the ground then thats different In the near futer I will still buy a 7500 because they both serve a purpose
    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Wilbur I'am sure if you search THE RIDGID FORUM all your questions will be answered. The weight and the versitility of a sectional was the deciding factor for me.

Comment

Spartan also produces several nice drum machines

Comment

I own two Generals and would not buy them new the auto feed is weak in reverse and thats when I need it the most. The 7500 is a well built machine I even like the 750 also. Any spartan or sectional is fine but the General drums I think are built toward the rental market and not the drain cleaner.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have to admit I am not a big fan of General machines I have used both there drum and there sec. machine some of there design look like they would be great and they seem to have enough power but mine would not stand up. The screws would come lose and some part of the machine would fall off when I was in the line. the route 66 would freeze up some times, but I do like there cables and some of there cutters. I am also not a big fan of the K 60 ( sorry Rick ) It had plenty of power and was light it was all motor no wheal or other stuff that made it heavy so it was not hard to carry it is just that I bought mine the first year they changed over from the suitcase design and they had a few bugs one was the barring's had to be cleaned after almost every job or the barring's would have to be replaced, Another problem I had was that my customers would see it and ask if I had a bigger machine I would tell them that it was all motor and It had the power and it do big time but I lost customers to it they figured that the line could not have been clogged that bad if a little machine like that could get it open h_ll I have pulled out 30 ft roots with that thing. So I went back with my 1500 and then too the 7500 I used the 1 1/4 " EEL cable in the 1500 till general came out with there dual 7/8 " cable I had them form the K 60 and found they held up good and I could get some drains open that I could not get open with the 1 1/4 " cable because they were too big to make an odd joint. If I was working by my self I would go with a sectional machine if you have to go down basement stairs it is lighter and easer to work the drum is good for outside work and is faster set up all cable is inside the drum and you can also hook sectional cable to the front for mush. But that is just me every part of the country is deferent and the type of job's we get into is deferent some never see a basement stair and some lucky few have all outside clean out. I would think about what kind of jobs you will have and if possible go take a look at the deferent machines to see which one you like A trade show is great for that or call the deferent co. to find where you can go to take a look at one.You can put in less cable in a drum to make it lighter but it will make more work having to go get more cable if you need it.

Comment

Not a big fan of the bigger General machines Myself. I agree they do have good cables and some blades. Their supervee has been a work horse for 16 years with no problems same with thier water ram.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I'm in Texas am moving to Oklahoma. I've never seen a basement. Most cleanouts are outside and I work with a helper so weight is not a deal breaker for me. All I've used is General, and the main problem I have had with them is the belt coming off and the drum rusting. The Spartan 300 or 2001 looks like they are quailty tools, I'm just not familiar with them.

I opening a plumbing service company in Oklahoma this year and I want to do mostly drain cleaning. I going to buy a jetter also. Ben looking at the Spartan 758. I have used a similar unit with great results. I would like a bigger jetter, maybe the new Warrior. Anyone got some other jetters they would recomend?

I'm looking for quality, price is not a issue. I want only the most realible.

Comment

I almost bought a Spartan but the rep never returned my calls
                  Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                    I almost bought a Spartan but the rep never returned my calls

I'm having a hard time with them too. Is that a Mytana in your pic? How you like them? I was looking at the "The Big Workhorse". Knew someone that had one and it seemed like a neat machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Willbur View Post
                      I'm having a hard time with them too. Is that a Mytana in your pic? How you like them? I was looking at the "The Big Workhorse". Knew someone that had one and it seemed like a neat machine.
                      It's a Duracable DM-55. I used this type unit back in the RR days
                      Mytanna is good, But for the price of the DM-55 with features the Duracable was better value
                      I was able to get the power feed built in extendable dolly bar and extra reel for less than the Mytana plus free shipping and the Mytana was only 1/2 hp this on is 3/4 hp.
                      Here is the link to their site
                      http://www.duracable.com/Machines/TheKingDM55.aspx
                      It is a big heavy unit but it gets the job done.
                      I Also run a drill with 1 1/4 eel sections great root clearing power once you master it it's great.
                      Maybe adding a K-60 for those tight spots in the future.
                      Last edited by UnClogNH; 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM.
                      Rod

Comment

I have an old General Speed Rooter 90. The drive sucks! I'd never buy one again. I have a Spartan 300 that works well. I use the .55 magnum cable in it. I don't get into roots that often with it though. I also have a Spartan 100 with 1/2" cable. I guess I'm lucky in that my rep gets right back to me.
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Willbur View Post
                          I'm in Texas am moving to Oklahoma. I've never seen a basement. Most cleanouts are outside and I work with a helper so weight is not a deal breaker for me. All I've used is General, and the main problem I have had with them is the belt coming off and the drum rusting. The Spartan 300 or 2001 looks like they are quailty tools, I'm just not familiar with them.

I opening a plumbing service company in Oklahoma this year and I want to do mostly drain cleaning. I going to buy a jetter also. Ben looking at the Spartan 758. I have used a similar unit with great results. I would like a bigger jetter, maybe the new Warrior. Anyone got some other jetters they would recomend?

I'm looking for quality, price is not a issue. I want only the most realible.
                          I've used the MyTana (M-81) many times. It's great. Make sure you get the plastic reel though so you don't throw sewer juice everywhere. Easily taken apart. MyTana support is fantastic!!!

When I was looking for a sewer machine to buy I ended up getting the Spartan 2001. It's also easily taken apart. Up here in Minnesota, almost every job entails taking it down to a basement and drum machines with heavy cable are not light. I work alone for the most part so that's an important consideration for me.

The Spartan 2001 is slightly narrower and shorter than the MyTana so will fit into a tighter spot. The MyTana cable can be stiffer because it's drum has a larger diamter and the cable guide has a longer sweep.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

If you want a Spartan for less than the rep you can't get to return your calls will sell it for anyway... Call AJ Coleman in Chicago. Ron has their number. They are great!

I happened to meet a Spartan Rep who was being trained for the Oklahoma, Texas area a couple months ago when my Spartan Rep dropped off some new cable and other goodies for me. He seemed like a nice fellow.

Good Luck!!!
                          Last edited by geno gardner; 06-08-2010, 05:56 AM.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                            I have an old General Speed Rooter 90. The drive sucks! I'd never buy one again. I have a Spartan 300 that works well. I use the .55 magnum cable in it. I don't get into roots that often with it though. I also have a Spartan 100 with 1/2" cable. I guess I'm lucky in that my rep gets right back to me.

How does your 300 with the .55 cable handle the roots when you do get them ?

Comment

Honestly I haven't had a real bad root issue since I've got the machine. I'm a septic pumper so most of our blockages are soft. We don't get called out just to clean a line very often. The last root issue I can remember, it did just fine. You couldn't just go hog into them like you can with a 3/4" cable, but if you work it easy it will be fine. Of course the 300 isn't the machine for real nasty root problems either. I think if I ran into a bad root job I might take the old General out for a spin (get it?) one more time.
                              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X