X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Knocker limitations

I have a clay 4" side sewer that is 100ft long but is 20 feet deep as it nears the city sewer. The sewer is 60 years old and in very good shape no bellies very few roots, but at 88ft out it has a break in the bottom of the pipe creating a very jagged triangle pointing up in the middle of the bottom of the pipe. I have been asked to do a patch on this spot so my thinking is to get a chain knocker and using the camera try to beat or grind it down to apply a patch. I was not the camera person on the job or I would have jabbed at it to see if it moves so I must approach this from the standpoint that it is solid and wedged in place. If the chain knocker broke the pipe on the side or top it would be ok as it will be getting patched. Any body try this with a chain Knocker before?
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Chain Knocker limitations

I have no experience with a chain knocker...

seems plausable to me based on what I understand of them

Hopefully someone else will chime in

Comment

When I was at the Pumper Show, I seen a booth where they had chain knockers and other rodding bits with a grinding edge on the end. I was trying to find the papers I grabbed from their booth so I can post it here. Just been uber busy the last couple days.

Guess the easiest way to do this would be to push the camera in the line till the you get right up at the problem. Mark the push rod with tape. remove the camera and lay it out on the ground and measure out from the head to the tape mark, and transfer that tape mark to your rod so this way you can stop the chain knocker right at that spot and let it spin for a good few minutes. if the piece is loose enough the chain knocker should just rip it out.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

sewer ratz,

clay is brittle; any fears running a knocker in clay and making new cracks on the way to the problem?

cuda,

I'd be wanting to get my own eyes on it if I were you to make sure you agree with what you are being told. if it is a chunk of the bottom of the pipe, the way clay breaks I'd think you are right; it is probably pretty loose and could be poked free or flipped out with a snake bit. But regardless, it's got to get out the way for the patch to work, so I'd want to see it, agree that's what it is, and make sure I could push the chunk back down into place or flip it out and push it on out before I ordered the patch stuff, as if you can't make the pipe a round hole again and get the piece out the way it'll need dug up anyway.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The deal is not set for me to attempt the job yet. I will try my snake (probably k-60 for hand control) to dislodge it then if needed a chain knocker! Heck I just like the sound of that "Chain Knocker" I actually don't want to dig this one 20feet and it's on a steep hill (driveway)
          Last edited by Cuda; 06-10-2010, 02:27 AM.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

any chance you could "tow" the knocker into position with a jetter?

Comment

I have ran chain knockers in clay sewer with no issues. As long as it is sized for the pipe you are cleaning. Its no different than runnings a six inch cutter in a six inch pipe. Ever have a look at the cutters electric eel has? The corkscrew cutters they have is some heavy metal, that is flopping around in the pipe.

I have used chain knockers to clear stuck on grease and detergent in 6" clay. Made the pipe look like brand new. And to answer a question I know that is going to be asked, no I could not used a jetter in that case.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
              X