X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snaking through sink in an apartment building

I am having a problem in an apartment building with side by side bathroom sinks. When I try snaking through one sink my snake ends up in the bathroom sink next door. I am assuming there is a tee between the two units and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestions on how to snake through the tee. Thanks

Re: snaking through sink in an apartment building

Ridgid makes a 5/16" drop head cable. Very effective for back to back fixtures. There is also a drop head for the K-50 5/8" sectional cable.

Or....you can put a little bit of a kink on the end of your cable and finesse it into the tee (or cross as it probably is with a common vent for both fixtures). Take a flashlight and look into the drain to see if you made the turn

Comment

The side by side wall urinals on a blind T are always a fun time
      Last edited by AssTyme; 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Do as previous posters have suggested, use a drop head or kink the end of the cable and you just have to feel it.

If you have the option you could go in the attic and install a co on the vent for the lavs and snake from there.

Comment

Feel the force Luke

Comment

Anytime I'm in a apartment building I have a second guy to listen and watch where the cable is going. I have a account that requires the second man. They've seen the mess that can happen in another apartment.
            Also K-50 with 5/8 cable makes lots of noise and easy to follow.
            Two more cents, Dennis....

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis/Ohio View Post
              Anytime I'm in a apartment building I have a second guy to listen and watch where the cable is going. I have a account that requires the second man. They've seen the mess that can happen in another apartment.
              Also K-50 with 5/8 cable makes lots of noise and easy to follow.
              Two more cents, Dennis....

"They've seen the mess that can happen in another apartment."

Mess ?

Comment

A good bend helps. Hand feed the cable in until you think you're at the tee. You will have a good idea after messin' with it for awhile. When you're at the tee spin the motor in reverse it helps it go in the right direction. This also works for if the cable is going up the stack instead of down.
                It definitely takes experience. You'll get a feel for it eventually. I've never used a drop end cable because my co. doesn't buy them.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all your help. I am new to the forum here and I am overwhelmed and greatful for everyones help. Thanks again and I am sure you will be hearing from me again.

Comment

I'm thinking you've got the his and her vanity back to back, not the through the wall back to back with another unit or another bath.

take both traps off, go in with your cable till you pop out the roughin for the other sink. mark your cable at exactly the distance from one roughin to the other, pull it back, and remark it at half that distance. the drop is usually right in the middle. go in to your half way mark, with a drop head or kink as said, and feel around for it with the cable not rotating, oriented so your kink is down, if you've done that, a foot or two either side of your mark.

you are feeling for it to catch as you push slowly forward. feel for a little bump you slide over. turn the cable just a little and slide over the bump again, keep doing that til you get it to catch there. if you get it to catch, keep pushing in and bind it up. it might pop out and push on to the other roughin again. if it does, got back to your spot and try again, maybe reorienting the cable slightly by turning your drum by hand just a tiny bit (90 degrees or so). keep trying until you get it to where when you shove in, it won't go. then keep pressure forward on it and start rotating the cable. takes a few tries until you've done a few of them.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

BTW, if you're trying to rod the sinks through the trap without taking it/them off, you're probably never going to make it happen.

Comment

Thanks again for the info. I am looking forward to my next back to back sink clog. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X