Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Smaller Cable Than Recommended.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Smaller Cable Than Recommended.....

Why is it that on some drum machines you have to match the drum with the cable size you are going to run ? For example, I'm running a General mini-rooter with a drum that is supposed to run 1/2" cable with 75 feet of 5/16" cable.

I use this machine when a 50+ foot run of 5/16" cable is needed such as in long trailer houses that have the kitchen sink up front. The machine seems to work great. So what kind of bad things could happen when not using the correct size drum

Re: Running Smaller Cable Than Recommended.....

Youre going to run a higher risk of twisting up in the drum but if you must just go slower.

Comment

the drum is way too big for a 5/16'' cable and will get twisted in the distributor arm.

you need a much smaller drum to run the 5/16''. the 3/8'' is fine in the 1/2'' drum.

i've had that machine for 27 years and have the 3/8'' x 100' and 1/2'' x 75' drum for it. this use to be my roof machine as the drum comes off in seconds.

but now the k-50 and k-60 are my roof machines

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I use this machine when a 50+ foot run of 5/16" cable is needed such as in long trailer houses that have the kitchen sink up front.
        Had a retired cleaner tell me something I've never tried on mobile home kitchen sinks. Clean it from the roof vent? He said have the sink standing full of water and when it breaks loose you'll have a great flush. Just heard this couple days ago, sounds like a plan?
        Best, Dennis....

Comment

I think the J-drum is made for 5/16"

the dual drum should do it too.... i've thought of buying one, but I seldom use smaller cables

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
            I think the J-drum is made for 5/16"

the dual drum should do it too.... i've thought of buying one, but I seldom use smaller cables

Yes but the spec's say the J drum will only hold 50' of 5/16" cable

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
              Yes but the spec's say the J drum will only hold 50' of 5/16" cable
              Why would you want more than 50'?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Why would you want more than 50'?

Mark

For some of the longer trailer houses with the kitchen that is up front.

Comment

For some of the longer trailer houses with the kitchen that is up front.
                  I run into that myself. Those trailers with the kitchen in the front you need at least 50'
                  I carry 75' of 3/8 in my DM-138. Some trailes don't even have access to the roof vent because the built a new roof over it.
                  Last edited by UnClogNH; 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM.
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

A 5/16" cable is fine as a top snake but I wouldn't use it for much more than that. If I have to run through a sink or tub trap I might use a 5/16" for a local stoppage. However, if I have a vent, clean-out or can drop the trap it's 5/8" all the way.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      A 5/16" cable is fine as a top snake but I wouldn't use it for much more than that. If I have to run through a sink or tub trap I might use a 5/16" for a local stoppage. However, if I have a vent, clean-out or can drop the trap it's 5/8" all the way.

Mark

I'm still a green horn but 5/8" seems a bit much for 1 1/2" pipe. Are you talking a 5/8" sectional machine/cable ? All of my equipment is drum based, stiffer cable.

Comment

I'm still a green horn but 5/8" seems a bit much for 1 1/2" pipe. Are you talking a 5/8" sectional machine/cable ? All of my equipment is drum based, stiffer cable.
                        Yes a sectional cable is much more flexible and in my opinion does a better job at cleaning drains like sinks, tubs and laundries. All of our trucks had a combination of drum and sectional machines and it is important not to be committed to only using one or the other.

Mark

Comment

I agree it's much better to use both drum and sectional. This way you can handle just about anything. The Sectional has saved my butt many times where a drum would not fit. Also the drum has made many jobs easier.
                          Best of both worlds if you have both.
                          Last edited by UnClogNH; 06-10-2010, 03:46 PM.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                          X