Jetter starting trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter starting trouble

I tryed to start my Honda GX690 jetter today and it will turn over and I smell gas coming out the exhaust.....but it won't start. There is continuity between the ground and ignition(Magneto) terminals in the OFF postion but not in the ON position. This seems backwards to me. I just want to start up this thing...PLEASE HELP! Would a bad switch do this?
    Last edited by vette850; 06-14-2010, 11:04 AM.

Re: Jetter starting trouble

wouldn't the ground be used to kill the magneto?

is this a brand new engine that's never been started?

oil level is correct?

choke closed till it starts?

fuel pump running?

have you wired any safety switches into it, like a low water level, pressure switch. start off with all the safety switches removed and then try it again. might need to blow out the plug and dry it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It is a brand new engine with NO safetly switches hooked up yet. I can't even get spark off the plug when i removed it and used a wire to test it. The "M" terminal is for "magneto" which is the same as "ignition"...correct?

Comment

I think that i figured it out, the guy at the mower shop gave me a switch made for magneto engines....not battery engines. I just wish I knew if I could use a generic battery configured ( 5- pole, 3 position) switch instead of spending over $100 and waiting a week for the Honda one. This brand new GX690 has been a pain in the butt when it comes to ordering and finding parts but it should be worth it once I start it up.

Comment

Yes it will be all worth it!
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

http://rumoto.ru/data/instruction/_i...X660_GX690.pdf

at the end of the manual I posted is a series of wiring diagrams, depending on options or how the engine is set up,

I would think the unit should run unless it is not "self contained"

here is another source of the manual with all languages,
            http://www.honda-engines.com/engines...X37Z6L6000.pdf

I would check the oil and may be even over fill it just a tad, (I have not experienced this but have heard that some times the low oil shut off can create some problems if the oil is not toped off), but I only have two smaller Honda engines,

(there appears to be a connector in the middle of the wiring harness could check that, guessing that you have a battery on it, so one can use a multi meter or even a 12 volt test light to see if you have power on various points going to the coil),

the "ing" ignition, wire, BI (BLACK WIRE) should go from the switch to the coils, there appears to be two coils a right and a left, and then the low oil shut off, Y (YELLOW) wire, it goes to the hr meter as well, (could try unplugging it and see it if it will start), (either at the coil or the low oil switch it self),
            (there is NO magneto on this engine, it is modules and coils just similar to a automobile or pickup truck),

I would check for power coming from the starter, (where the battery is attached), up to the switch, W (white), check the fuse there as well, and then when checkec follow it to the switch, throught the stitch and then back to the coils,

but it should run on one cylinder so the chances of both coils being bad I would think would be very rare, if your getting power to the coils.

(a bad switch could cause your problems, but I would think that would be easy to figure out)

If it has the little panel (start panel it looks like if the low oil switch is on, a small light will glow at the start panel),if I am reading correctly,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if you flood the engine, you may have wait some time, up to 30 mins, to an hr. to try to restart
            or take the spark plugs out and dry them off, and dry plugs off, (compressed air works well) then crank the excess fuel out of the cyclinders and then reinstal and try again,
            Last edited by BHD; 06-15-2010, 09:57 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I ordered the exact ignition switch that i need from Honda today, $113 plus $60 next day air. One of the condo jobs I'm doing have been waiting a couple weeks while I was building ther jetter. I tested the other two sitches I had purchased which were generic magneto switches and I wasn't getting continuity between battery and M( which i was using as ignition) in the run position. Hopefully this does the trick.

Comment

why didn't you order the honda with the ignition switch built in

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Because it was back ordered for at least a month...trust me.....if i could have gotten it...i would have......i searched long and hard for it, knowing full well that the remote control version would be a pain fabricating mounting points for the hour meter, throttle, choke, key switch......... pretty much every Honda guy i talked to didn't even know about the 690 and if they did...they asked, " How did you find one????" I bought it from Tulsa Engine warehouse for $1,453. Free shipping. I'll definitely post pics in a couplke days once i get it running. I even made the surge tank out of plexiglass so that it would be a CUSTOM fit, and also it's kinda cool too see everything that's going on inside.

Comment

Working...
                  X