X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniformed Septic Code

Septic industry is a big industry and there are so many codes and regulations that differ from county to county much less state to state. I know you can't have the same code for everything since soils, elevation, ground water level ect play a role in what kind of system you have.
    Saying that there should be some things that are standard on a septic system install. For example: clean outs on the outlet line and each drain line at the 90. Alarms should be standard on all systems to prevent damage to the system or the owners house. A user guide for the home owner of dues and dont's. I can't tell you guys how many times I have talked to a home owner where they have no idea of how to care for a septic system. When they buy the house a blue print of where their system is located should be provided to the home owner.

There is nothing worse than having to walk around with a T-Bar looking for the stupid lid.

For mound systems / sand filter systems their needs to be instructions left with a new home owner how to maintain that system ie prevent weed or plants growing in the giant litter box, maintenance needed to the pump ect.
    Last edited by DanLawrence; 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM.

Re: Uniformed Septic Code

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
    Septic industry is a big industry and there are so many codes and regulations that differ from county to county much less state to state. I know you can't have the same code for everything since soils, elevation, ground water level ect play a role in what kind of system you have.
    Saying that there should be some things that are standard on a septic system install. For example: clean outs on the outlet line and each drain line at the 90. Alarms should be standard on all systems to prevent damage to the system or the owners house. A user guide for the home owner of dues and dont's. I can't tell you guys how many times I have talked to a home owner where they have no idea of how to care for a septic system. When they buy the house a blue print of where their system is located should be provided to the home owner.

There is nothing worse than having to walk around with a T-Bar looking for the stupid lid.

For mound systems / sand filter systems their needs to be instructions left with a new home owner how to maintain that system ie prevent weed or plants growing in the giant litter box, maintenance needed to the pump ect.
    Many do not have a clue to where it is.

I have to find them for isolation distances to drill a water well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post

What kills me are the states that don't require tanks to be water tight! WTF???

Oregon is working toward required maintenance contracts for sand filters (we don't have mounds). I don't like more regulation, but we all know that if it's not required, in most cases it isn't going to happen.

The user guide is available from the EPA. It just needs to be printed and distributed. You can even call the EPA and they'll send you large quantities of the short version. I get them 100 at a time for free. Then I staple my card to them and pass them out to my customers or potential customers.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
        What kills me are the states that don't require tanks to be water tight! WTF???

Oregon is working toward required maintenance contracts for sand filters (we don't have mounds). I don't like more regulation, but we all know that if it's not required, in most cases it isn't going to happen.

The user guide is available from the EPA. It just needs to be printed and distributed. You can even call the EPA and they'll send you large quantities of the short version. I get them 100 at a time for free. Then I staple my card to them and pass them out to my customers or potential customers.

User guide with your card on it is a very good idea.

I have installed a few sand filters in my day. Though if you go to Northern Cali they have a lot of mound systems.

I am with you. I hate more regulation but when it comes to construction some seem to lack the ability to be able to use common sense.

I spoke with a guy in Australia he had a bunch of 50 gallon barrels welded together as a septic tank. He didn't know about it until later when his line was backing up. That's just ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
        X