X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you do.

Yes i explain everything upfront and Ive never had a problem before. Customer wife was there signed for work and husband came to pay. I dont have anything stating that i'll put a lien on your home if you dont pay me on my invoice and probably won't start the husband does not believe main line was ever the problem, says his toilet worked fine (cuz its backing up in the floor drain) yet there is poop all over and toilet paper. Can't Explain changing spark plugs won't fix your rods.
    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    in order to file lean. you need it stated on your signed estimate/ invoice. all the t's crossed and i's dotted.

honestly, by explaining to the owner beforehand, the process of cleaning and what caused it, you could avoid this in the future.

it's very common for me to have a main line with the tubs and showers holding waste water and paper. i explain that the main line is plugged and 90% of the time, when i clear the main, the tubs and showers will then drain. if not, it's typically a plunger to get the drain running again.

very rarely will i ever have to use more than a plunger to get the drain back to it's flowing condition. never had an issue by explaining it to them beforehand.

give it the day and talk to them again. it's a minor pain to make it right by snaking the floor drain. hopefully they will have spoken to others and know you were correct in your assessment.

small claims court is a better option than attempting a lien.

rick.

Comment

as for a plunger, not on this one this one, but i was just thinking it would be cool if they had like an 8 inch plunger that would fit over the whole floor drain. Most of the time c/o caps are busted out of the floor drain where im at

Comment

I think we have all had the hole in the bottom of the bucket problem with a customer. I explain that it is like the bucket as long as there is a hole in the bottom you can keep putting water in and wont fill up. I had one lady tell me that drilling the main would not help to go down the floor drain, so I told her that I would drill the main and if it didn't open I wouldn't charge her for it she had nothing to lose the only deference would be is she would get a free drain cleaned if it didn't work. It worked and I got paid but I run water in and seen it back out of the floor drain. To some people every business is a rip off artiest have you ever tried to figure out your phone bill all the little add on's that double your bill. You did the right thing in not getting in to a big fight there trying to make him under stand it is like the old saying You have done nothing when you bested a fool. And chances are he has a Rep. for being a hot head and a braggart. I had one guy tell me he was going to tell everyone what a crook I was and no one would call me, the next week his dad who lives next door to him called me to open his drain. So don't sweat it, it is all part of working with people

Comment

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
          Got sewer call, poop backed up in floor drain, main line standing full, explained to wife floor drain was not the problem that it was text book main blockage. she said o.k. I cleared the main (tons of wipes and tampons, minor roots) but floor drain wouldn't go, (laundry tub also ties in) and tell them it will be more to clear that line. Well the husband goes off the wall of how im ripping him off, that the only problem he had was the floor drain and the main was great, and he's not going to pay. I tried my best to explain that he doesnt poop down the laundry tub and how else would solid waste and up on the floor but I couldnt get it to click so I walked. I do have invoice signed for main line cleaning and pictures and video of basement floor, main line, roots and tampons. What would you do?
          The same thing I've done for years....get paid and leave. However, to avoid this rookie scenario, you need to get into the habit of telling the customer BEFORE hand that there will be an extra charge for any drain left still holding water. Every single main line call I've ever done is quoted this way. same goes for laundry/kitchen lines that are tied in together. Almost invariably, unless you suggest cabling ALL the affected lines, they will be calling you back, and guess who they'll blame it on? But then that kinda kills the idea of doing drains cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            a quick call to the Sheriff RE: Theft of services, and you'll have the check before the ink is dry

I do that before we leave done it twice in the last 4 years and it works.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

You did the work and you should be paid- end of story. The choice is yours whether to pursue the issue or give up. Personally, I don't like being stiffed $$$. I would try one polite phone call to explain the situation to the homeowner or discuss a compromise. If that failed, I would do as others on here have advised.
              But take my advice with a grain of salt... I'm very stubborn (wife will testify). If I know I'm in the right, I will spend more money to recoup the bill than the amount in question. Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to let a jerk off the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                in order to file lean. you need it stated on your signed estimate/ invoice. all the t's crossed and i's dotted.

honestly, by explaining to the owner beforehand, the process of cleaning and what caused it, you could avoid this in the future.

it's very common for me to have a main line with the tubs and showers holding waste water and paper. i explain that the main line is plugged and 90% of the time, when i clear the main, the tubs and showers will then drain. if not, it's typically a plunger to get the drain running again.

very rarely will i ever have to use more than a plunger to get the drain back to it's flowing condition. never had an issue by explaining it to them beforehand.

give it the day and talk to them again. it's a minor pain to make it right by snaking the floor drain. hopefully they will have spoken to others and know you were correct in your assessment.

small claims court is a better option than attempting a lien.

rick.
                Spot on!
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul5409 View Post
                  I'm very stubborn (wife will testify). .
                  That was funny. I don't care who you are. Thanks! Needed that one after today.

Comment

i filed a lien over $10.00 once. lien cost 2 1/2 times that. i filed a lien on the fulton united methodist church parsonage. my home town. 125 people. piss on them. i lien them if they don't pay. period. ask the methodists. if fact i worked for the baptists 2 or 3 years later and the first thing the preacher said was is you will get your money today. love it. word does travel. when they pay i make them wait for the release as long as they made me wait. screw em. breid.................

Comment

You diagnosed it correctly, did proper work, have full documentation, and anyone who knows anything about drains is going to concur with what you diagnosed... sounds like a slam dunk to me. Ron White says 'You can't fix stupid.' But, you can serve it papers and get a judgement. And I think you should.

Here's another on for you all to comment on:

Thaw frozen line end of jan. can't find c/o's; 4' of snow, done from pulled toilet.

6 weeks later freezes up (probably) or at least clogs in some way. They've not paid for first call yet. couldn't get there fast enough to suit them on second call (and honestly, how fast am I gonna move for someone who can't pay me in six weeks? especially when I have paying customers stacked up waiting). they call another company, who clears it, and finds a c/o cap or caps missing. There was an odd midwinter melt, and c/o's may have become visible because of it, or they may have had prior experience at the property; it's a known freezer. certainly they have some prior experience as they were smart enough to demand a check on site before they went to work; I found out after the fact these customers have a history.

customers now refuse to pay us as we did poor work by not finding the missing c/o caps on first trip. refuse to answer phone or return calls, hung up on me after shouting at me the one time I did get through.

Have next to zero documentation, nothing signed; I'm used to working on a phone call and trust, and prefer it that way. Rarely get burned.

you think they have an argument or not?
                      you think I have a case or not?

I hate to let this go; they are known deadbeats. On the other hand I hate to thow money and effort at something where I might not have a case.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        You diagnosed it correctly, did proper work, have full documentation, and anyone who knows anything about drains is going to concur with what you diagnosed... sounds like a slam dunk to me. Ron White says 'You can't fix stupid.' But, you can serve it papers and get a judgement. And I think you should.

Here's another on for you all to comment on:

Thaw frozen line end of jan. can't find c/o's; 4' of snow, done from pulled toilet.

6 weeks later freezes up (probably) or at least clogs in some way. They've not paid for first call yet. couldn't get there fast enough to suit them on second call (and honestly, how fast am I gonna move for someone who can't pay me in six weeks? especially when I have paying customers stacked up waiting). they call another company, who clears it, and finds a c/o cap or caps missing. There was an odd midwinter melt, and c/o's may have become visible because of it, or they may have had prior experience at the property; it's a known freezer. certainly they have some prior experience as they were smart enough to demand a check on site before they went to work; I found out after the fact these customers have a history.

customers now refuse to pay us as we did poor work by not finding the missing c/o caps on first trip. refuse to answer phone or return calls, hung up on me after shouting at me the one time I did get through.

Have next to zero documentation, nothing signed; I'm used to working on a phone call and trust, and prefer it that way. Rarely get burned.

you think they have an argument or not?
                        you think I have a case or not?

I hate to let this go; they are known deadbeats. On the other hand I hate to thow money and effort at something where I might not have a case.
                        one word, hydraulic cement

Comment

Working...
                        X