X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do.

Got sewer call, poop backed up in floor drain, main line standing full, explained to wife floor drain was not the problem that it was text book main blockage. she said o.k. I cleared the main (tons of wipes and tampons, minor roots) but floor drain wouldn't go, (laundry tub also ties in) and tell them it will be more to clear that line. Well the husband goes off the wall of how im ripping him off, that the only problem he had was the floor drain and the main was great, and he's not going to pay. I tried my best to explain that he doesnt poop down the laundry tub and how else would solid waste and up on the floor but I couldnt get it to click so I walked. I do have invoice signed for main line cleaning and pictures and video of basement floor, main line, roots and tampons. What would you do?

Re: What would you do.

Originally posted by Drainsdonecheap View Post
    Got sewer call, poop backed up in floor drain, main line standing full, explained to wife floor drain was not the problem that it was text book main blockage. she said o.k. I cleared the main (tons of wipes and tampons, minor roots) but floor drain wouldn't go, (laundry tub also ties in) and tell them it will be more to clear that line. Well the husband goes off the wall of how im ripping him off, that the only problem he had was the floor drain and the main was great, and he's not going to pay. I tried my best to explain that he doesnt poop down the laundry tub and how else would solid waste and up on the floor but I couldnt get it to click so I walked. I do have invoice signed for main line cleaning and pictures and video of basement floor, main line, roots and tampons. What would you do?
    Give him the bill, and put a lien on his home.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

A customer's ignorance is not your fault. They had a pro there and you did your job as far as they allowed. You tried to explain that one backup caused the other. I would certainly put the billing through. I may have run the additional drain quickly at no charge to save the situation but you are in the right.

Comment

I was actually going to just run the floor drain line to save face but customer continued to accuse myself and company of being rip-off's and "not knowing what the "bleep" we are doing). After being told this I turned and walked. So How do you go about placing a lien on a home. The money isn't as much of a concern as having this people spreading slander and so I have to do something so people know I am in the right.

Comment

pictures and video of basement floor, main line, roots and tampons.

Is this standard procedure for you ? Just wondering

Comment

I was actually going to just run the floor drain line to save face but customer continued to accuse myself and company of being rip-off's and "not knowing what the "bleep" we are doing). After being told this I turned and walked. So How do you go about placing a lien on a home. The money isn't as much of a concern as having this people spreading slander and so I have to do something so people know I am in the right.
            Did you leave him a bill? If not send him a bill for your services contracted and preformed. Also note if he does not pay in 7 days you will put a lien on his property. Then take your signed work order, and invoice to the county court house / tax accessors office and file the lien. If you left him a copy of the bill, just call him and tell him he has 7 days to pay the invoice or you will be putting a lien on his property, then mail a letter to him stating the same.

We have put liens on maybe a total of 4 people. One of them went to sell their home, and the Realtor called us asking what will it take to satisfy the lien, we informed her the total amount for the invoice due to us, the stop payment/bounce check fee our bank charged us and the filing fee. We had a check in our hands the next day.

The home owner was still PO'ed that he ended up paying us. He was the type that had no intention on paying us our rates. He hired us wrote the check happily thanks us for our services. We made the deposit that day a few days later we get the check back with a stop payment. We call the guy he inform us we scratched his door. So we offered to come over and repaint his door, then he said it was not a scratch it was a massive dent, so we offered to file an insurance claim with out business insurance, he said to late he already replaced the door. We said we just need the receipt and we can submit it to our insurance. He just hung up on us. Now what he was claiming was a crock of lies. He found out when you put a top payment on a check, it can not be about a dispute in the amount we charge. It can only be done if we damaged something or did not perform the services as contracted. The law states he has to let us make good on repairs, or the contract and then reissue payment. So we where in our legal right to put a lien on his home.

Comment

Nah, Sometimes I document w/pictures for landlords of rentals. I took these pictures for my protection as I was packing up.

Comment

thanks alot ratz, So is it the register of deeds I need to go to, and how much does this cost. This is the first trouble like this Ive ever had in 7 years man. When I worked for mr. pooper they always had debates over prices with customers but these people just weren't going to pay. I have the invoice wrote up for a main line, I verbally told wife(her house, her signature), we would be running thru the main line c/o, so I just don't see being in the wrong here. I'm really bumming man because I like to make everyone happy and pride myself on doing the right thing but for the first time despite even having sample house plumbing diagrams I could not get the customer to understand. Yeah, I am seriously bummed out, I want the best rep in town.

Comment

Thats hard when to a layman it looks as though you just pulled a bone head move or are trying to rip them off and who knows what they are thinking and saying about you because they have no idea what they are seeing.

If it were me, I would avoid a lien, it will only pi$$ off the HO more and cause him to bit#h to even more people. It will also serve to solidify his argument...."and then you know what the S.O.B. does? He puts a lien on my home so now I'm forced to pay him for doing nothing"
                  Imagine this conversation taking place with his neighbor. You think the neighbor would ever call you after hearing lien??? He may not ever call you anyway but lien pretty much seals the deal.

I would write the HO a nice calm letter explaining who you are and what you stand for, personalize it so he doesn't just see you as the 'rip off man'. I would also include as much information as you could to educate him on how drains work and why you did what you did. I'm sure you did this that day, but in the heat of the moment...... Any drain guy here knows you did the right thing but this guy is not a drain guy.
                  Kind of like when I have to fork over $100 to some kid at the computer repair store.

If the letter and education don't work it may be best to just eat this one.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

thanks alot ratz, So is it the register of deeds I need to go to, and how much does this cost. This is the first trouble like this Ive ever had in 7 years man. When I worked for mr. pooper they always had debates over prices with customers but these people just weren't going to pay. I have the invoice wrote up for a main line, I verbally told wife(her house, her signature), we would be running thru the main line c/o, so I just don't see being in the wrong here. I'm really bumming man because I like to make everyone happy and pride myself on doing the right thing but for the first time despite even having sample house plumbing diagrams I could not get the customer to understand. Yeah, I am seriously bummed out, I want the best rep in town.
                    Call your county and ask them where you need to go to put a lien on the home, and what are the charges and requirements. My mom handles the accounting and putting liens on the properties. I will ask her when I see her this afternoon.

Another thing you could of done was call the police. Have them arrested for theft of services. Had a lady call us for water backing up in her bathroom. It was a tri-level home with a crawl behind the bathroom. We went in the crawl space and seen an ejector pit. She asked me is the pump repairable, I explained to her I can not know this till I get the lid off and see what brand pump and what is wrong with it. She said OK. So we went in the crawl and noted that someone tried to get the bolts out of the lid. We Finlay get the bolts out and noted it was a older Hydromatic pump (15 years old) with just a bad switch. So I explained to her I can change the switch for (x) amount , or change the pump for (y) amount, I recommend changing the pump due to its age.

She then said thank you for getting the lid of that her husband couldn't get it undone, and goodbye. So I handed her a bill for my time and she went off on me about I should be giving free estimates. I explained to her if she wanted an estimate she should of asked and I could of told her if it was a switch its (x) amount if its a pump its (y) amount. Of course her response was that the only to know for sure which it is to open the pit and investigate the problem. Which I responded to her I agree, and I worked to open the pit which means I get paid for my time. She then threatened to call the police, I dialed the number for her and handed her my phone. When the police got there they arrested her for theft of services.

Trouble is lots of people out there want to take advantage of the contractor, and they get away with it since most contractors do not know we have ways to protect ourselves.

Comment

If you feel the guy is just being a prick and trying to get something for nothing then I say he11 yeah lien the he11 out of him.
                      Those type of people don't talk about it much as they are basically bragging about stealing.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

It's so much easier when they just don't pay rather then write a bad check.

I had one write a bad check (Jason Baker of Winslow Maine writes bad checks) It's such a PIA to get your money when someone writes bad paper but when they don't send anything like they promised a quick call to the Sheriff RE: Theft of services, and you'll have the check before the ink is dry

Comment

in order to file lean. you need it stated on your signed estimate/ invoice. all the t's crossed and i's dotted.

honestly, by explaining to the owner beforehand, the process of cleaning and what caused it, you could avoid this in the future.

it's very common for me to have a main line with the tubs and showers holding waste water and paper. i explain that the main line is plugged and 90% of the time, when i clear the main, the tubs and showers will then drain. if not, it's typically a plunger to get the drain running again.

very rarely will i ever have to use more than a plunger to get the drain back to it's flowing condition. never had an issue by explaining it to them beforehand.

give it the day and talk to them again. it's a minor pain to make it right by snaking the floor drain. hopefully they will have spoken to others and know you were correct in your assessment.

small claims court is a better option than attempting a lien.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I charge out drain cleaning by how long it takes to get it done
                            Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better
                            But it all comes out in the end
                            Doing it for a set price i could see were their could be a problem
                            If they would have let you
                            A few pumps with your plunger in that floor drain might have sent it on its way

Comment

Originally posted by plumber rick View Post
                              honestly, by explaining to the owner beforehand, the process of cleaning and what caused it, you could avoid this in the future.

It's very common for me to have a main line with the tubs and showers holding waste water and paper. I explain that the main line is plugged and 90% of the time, when i clear the main, the tubs and showers will then drain. If not, it's typically a plunger to get the drain running again.

Very rarely will i ever have to use more than a plunger to get the drain back to it's flowing condition. Never had an issue by explaining it to them beforehand.

Rick.

+1

Comment

Working...
                              X