X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Septic System Stories

Now that I am working with over half the country and Canada I have been learning about a lot of different types of septic systems for different areas.

For example I spoke with a septic company in Texas who said that all their tanks are concrete which is normal but they have one line going from the tank out that is perforated and it goes out about 120' and they are buried about 6 ft down. That is standard for their area. To me that's weird....

What kind of septic system are standard in your area?

Re: Weird Septic System Stories

Our house before we converted to city sewer was a septic tank. It left the tank heading south with perforated pipe about 3' out hit a small split box, which teed it off in opposite directions. The section that went west was only 20' long till it reached close to the drive way, the section that went east was 80' long hit a pair of 45's then about 10' south to a distribution manhole which sent one leg west again the 100' and another leg south 10' to which turned west with another 100' leg going west. The lines where all perforated pipe and if I recall about 3 or 4 feet deep.

I always thought this a pretty standard septic system, worked the 25+ years we lived there, till the day the county came around and made everyone hook up to the sewers.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I love the home made tanks. Particularly the ones that use old junk to make them. I ran into one that was made from 1/4 inch plate. It was about 12" wide, 4' deep and 6' long. Of course there were no baffles in it. Another favorite is the home made cement tank with no lid poured in it. You look at the house and it's 50 years old. You KNOW this tank will be B A D! Home made tanks with all the forms left in them. Especialy fun when they were built before plywood so the bottom of the tank looks like pickup sticks only they are 2x4's and 2x6's. How about the tanks with no bottom. Those are always great for a fun time.

I had a job once where the guy wanted to find his d box. So I told him to start probing from the back of the tank while I pumped. He got out a bit and said I can't find the pipe. I told him to dig. He found an elbow down. From there on it was nearly a continious turn this way or that in a conglomeration of 45's 90's 22's, etc all cobbled together. At that point I recomended a backhoe.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

We ran into one that was a bunch of 50 gallon barrels welded together.

Comment

once in a while we still find a car or truck used as a tank. breid................

Comment

Some where out there is the tank off the septic truck I rolled nearly 17 years ago!
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

a couple 55 gallon drums used as tanks. tanks placed downhill of septic system with no pump, hmm wonder why it blew out in less than a year?

LOTS of cheater pipes into neighbors yard into the woods etc.

perf pipe installed holes up that was a good one

i have to check my work computer for some good pics of some good ones...

Comment

There are tons of old junk system the discharge into lakes rivers. People with you name it for a "tank". The rules are changing for the better in many place. Inspection and permits are coming down the pipe in more states all the time. The industry is getting more on the same page. For a long time it was a joke in many places. Wisconsin is pretty strick. No repairs to the system without a permit expect covers riser and baffles. System must be pumped and inspected every three years.

Comment

Working...
                X