Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I need vac/pumping advice Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need vac/pumping advice

    I asked this before but didn't word it right. Situation is I need to be able to pump or vac out catch basins, not big ones most are 12"x 24" depth say 4'. But they are covered over with driveways or landscape and my access is usually a rain leader say 4" that is 20' away from the catch basin. Any ideas? I bought the ridgid pressure washer sump pump but it will not go around some 90's. I dont need a vac truck but might like some kinda vac that was mounted in a trailer but have not seen any.
    Last edited by Cuda; 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM.
    Seattle Drain Service

  • #2
    Re: I need vac/pumping advice

    figure that the volume is 7.48 gallons per cubic foot. problem is that the access is not right on top of the basin. is the water pretty clean without mud, grit and leaves. if all your pumping is fairly clean water, why not attach a 1/2''-3/4'' hose to your jetter hose and run the jetter down the 20' leader.

    problem is unless you have an access point to the pit, there is no simple way to evacuate the liquids and possible debris.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I need vac/pumping advice

      Yea it's the leaves and grit off the bottom they want sucked out. Many people in Seattle bought houses 2nd hand that had these catch basins installed that where city owned but prior owners thought it was their land and built driveways and fancy patios over them now there is no access to the tank. now the city after 10 years has decided they want inspection and cleaning of them on a yearly basis and the people must comply but the city is offering a compromise if the tank can be cleaned out and a video made that shows before and after. So Rick what you are saying is use the jetter to pump lots of water in to flood the debris up into the exit pipe?
      Seattle Drain Service

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I need vac/pumping advice

        Can you attach a 2” hose to your jetter and pull it into the basin and let the jet move debris and vacuum at the same time ?
        Sent From The StoolBus

        www.appletondrainandsewer.com

        Appleton WI, 54915
        1-920-284-7471

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I need vac/pumping advice

          Something like these?

          http://www.rjmcompany.com/Vacuum-Excavator-trailer.pdf

          http://www.rjmcompany.com/Vacuum-Exc...ickup-size.pdf

          http://www.vactron.com/

          Used unit on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...orsQ5fTrailers
          Last edited by SewerRatz; 07-09-2010, 03:11 PM.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I need vac/pumping advice

            I think so? And then buy some type of portable vacum?
            Seattle Drain Service

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I need vac/pumping advice

              Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              I think so? And then buy some type of portable vacum?
              These units are a portable vacuum with the debris tank. I been looking at them for some time. Right now I hire a guy with a combo truck or super sucker to handle my basins and such.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                Here is the rig I have been eyeballing. http://www.sewerequipment.com/vacuum.htm

                Here is a good article published in The Cleaner about trailer vacuum units. http://www.cleaner.com/editorial/vie...t-Vacuum-Packs
                Last edited by SewerRatz; 07-09-2010, 03:29 PM. Reason: Add article from The Cleaner
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                  I too have been looking at this type of set up. We can always get the vac truck out when needed but its getting the customer to pay the bill for a huge tandem axle Vactor for one small project thats the problem.

                  There are many times where it would be nice to pump something down while jetting or just suck out a small basin really quick. With all of the industrial work we have been doing lately im really considering something like this on a small scale. A few hundred gallons would be perfect for me.

                  I have been told that making something like this is fairly cheap and easy to do to if you are willing and able.

                  The other big problem is disposal for the stuff you pump out. Depending on what it is it cant just go anywhere.

                  Heres one for vacuuming and hydro excavating:

                  http://www.gethurco.com/hurc-o-vac.html


                  Here is a nice jetter and vac combo from Obrien/HiVac:

                  http://www.obrienmfg.com/upload/JVLTSPEC.pdf
                  www.firstresponsedrain.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                    Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                    I too have been looking at this type of set up. We can always get the vac truck out when needed but its getting the customer to pay the bill for a huge tandem axle Vactor for one small project thats the problem.

                    There are many times where it would be nice to pump something down while jetting or just suck out a small basin really quick. With all of the industrial work we have been doing lately im really considering something like this on a small scale. A few hundred gallons would be perfect for me.

                    I have been told that making something like this is fairly cheap and easy to do to if you are willing and able.

                    The other big problem is disposal for the stuff you pump out. Depending on what it is it cant just go anywhere.

                    Heres one for vacuuming and hydro excavating:

                    http://www.gethurco.com/hurc-o-vac.html


                    Here is a nice jetter and vac combo from Obrien/HiVac:

                    http://www.obrienmfg.com/upload/JVLTSPEC.pdf
                    JR if you need pumping of vac services give me a ring I will give you the guys # I use. We can price pumping triple basins for $350 and make a small profit off that. These guys have pumpers to big super sucker trucks plus combo units.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                      Oh i have no problem getting a vac truck. I helped a couple of buddies of mine start a company last year and they have a Vactor 2100. A septic pumper shares a shop with us too. Thanks for the heads up though I will keep that in mind if everyone is tied up and i need someone right away.
                      www.firstresponsedrain.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                        Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                        Oh i have no problem getting a vac truck. I helped a couple of buddies of mine start a company last year and they have a Vactor 2100. A septic pumper shares a shop with us too. Thanks for the heads up though I will keep that in mind if everyone is tied up and i need someone right away.
                        Cool , these guys have their own treatment facility as well. So dumping pricing is not to bad as well.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                          Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                          Yea it's the leaves and grit off the bottom they want sucked out. Many people in Seattle bought houses 2nd hand that had these catch basins installed that where city owned but prior owners thought it was their land and built driveways and fancy patios over them now there is no access to the tank. now the city after 10 years has decided they want inspection and cleaning of them on a yearly basis and the people must comply but the city is offering a compromise if the tank can be cleaned out and a video made that shows before and after. So Rick what you are saying is use the jetter to pump lots of water in to flood the debris up into the exit pipe?


                          not really. the big issue is getting a hose down your 4'' with 90's. sure if a 1.5'' vac hose will make the 20' and into the 90's great. but how are you going to get that stiff vac hose down 90's and maneuver it into a pit to vac. the bottom?

                          i think a good locate and core drill the surface to allow an access point.

                          don't see how a vac. can clean a pit unless the hose can get to the bottom of that pit. without proper access, you're not getting to the sludge.

                          the 1/2'-3/4'' hose was a way to use the jetter to drag it in and allow for you to pump clean water. not sludge.

                          has anyone accomplished what your looking to do without the proper access?

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                            Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            Cool , these guys have their own treatment facility as well. So dumping pricing is not to bad as well.
                            They don't but they have relationships with several small municipal accounts around us and pay very little to nothing for dumping. Also, depending on what it is it can be land applied at a dump site in the country or field. (It pays to know a lot of farmers!) Hydro excavation debris is very easy to get rid of as well as storm debris since most times it is just mud, gravel, sticks and leaves.

                            Sewer is a different story as it is regulated. 95% of the time if it is vacuumed from a city's system they will allow it to go to their treatment plant or drying beds. The industrial facilities we work at also have their own lagoons and mini treatment plants before it goes back to the city.

                            So far Ron we have been lucky and have not had to pay a whole lot for disposal. It really does add to the cost if the guys you are using don't have connections or prearranged disposal or their own dump site.

                            PM me the name of your guy and i will do the same so then I will always have a plan B or someone willing to go where my guys won't. Travel time is sometimes an issue as they are out west but they are really good about that too.
                            www.firstresponsedrain.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I need vac/pumping advice

                              The Vermer has a trailer unit that is cheaper. A non dump vac trailer would work just for water. You can get a used trail vac for a couple grand. You see directional boring guys with them all the time. The water is easy to get rid of. The grit should be land filled if it is anything other than water and dirt. Car wash pit and that sort of stuff needs to go to a land fill or drying bed at a treatment plant. You may need DNR lic # for the thing if you are going to transport the the waste. The rules on that stuff isnt always clear untill they tell you, You cant do that. The person or company is on the hook for the waste and its proper disposal. I would like a combo truck, but they are money pits and the wear items seem endless. Every time the high vac guy comes on the job he complains the wear and tear is out of hand.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X