X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gpm or psi?

Right now i use a 13hp 4gpm 3600 psi cart jetter. I mainly cut grease, sump lines and Roots with my root ranger.

There is a local company selling a trailer jetter 20hp 2000psi and 12gpm with 250' of 3/8" hose. 150 gallon water tank

My question is, how much better would this preform than what i have now? what am i losing with 2000psi? i would empty the water tank in 12mins??

Just looking for advice! Thanks

Re: gpm or psi?

Just a thought, if the price is really good, you could also put a 7gpm/3000 psi pump on there. Higher pressure with less water usage and you could use a warthog with no issues.

BTW, how's that root ranger jetter combo working for you?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

PSI will cut debris faster and such but with out the GPM you can not clean the pipe all that well. Now to much GPM can be bad as well if you are flowing 120 GPM you will tear up 6" pipe. So a good combination of GPM with PSI will be your best bet. The key is knowing what you are jetting. The cart jetters do great with the 2" through 4" lines, and will clear 6" and 8" lines with multiple passes.

One of the things the old timers that make the larger jetters for years came up with Cleaning Units of a jetter CU= PSI x GPM So your cart jetter is 4x3600 = 14,400 CU's and the new jetter you are looking at 12 x 2000 = 24,000 So it will do a good job in most your pipes. My trailer jetter is 17 gpm @ 1700 PSI using 1/2" hose 17 x 1700 = 28,900 I use a wart hog nozzle and it cuts roots real nice in 6" lines, I clear grease packed lines in two passes where as my cart jetter (same specs as yours there about) on the same grease packed lines took 18+ passes before I got the line to run clear.

I feel for most lines 4" to 8" a unit pumping around 18 to 20 gpm with a PSI of no less than 1700 would be the best all around jetter for most needs. So your jetter you are looking at is doing good with the psi but lacks a little in the gpm but still not a bad unit.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks Ron!

The cart jetter with the root ranger works very good for the price. Like ron said it does take quite a few passed to clean a line up nice. On residential sanitarys with roots i usually run the laundry or bath tub while jetting to flush the line down. the root ranger requires alot of operator usage, but it does do a very good job!

Comment

gpm does the cleaning but the psi does the cutting.

too much gpm in a line and you flood out if you're jetting downstream which is the way most residential is done. if you have a reverse cleanout, then you can up the gpm without too much worry of flooding.

remember that since 80-90% of the water from a jet shoots back towards the drain opening, too much water flowing back will be a mess and also flood out your jet stream.

but with a trailer jetter, you can always divert water back into the tank if you have too much jetter.

also take into account that a jetter will lose a lot of pressure the longer or smaller diameter hose you have.

a us jetter at 18gpm with 4000psi at the pump will deliver approx. 3200 psi at the nozzle with 500' of 1/2'' hose on the reel.

you can turn down pressure, but you can't turn up pressure beyond the specs of the equipment. well maybe 10%

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            gpm does the cleaning but the psi does the cutting.

too much gpm in a line and you flood out if you're jetting downstream which is the way most residential is done. if you have a reverse cleanout, then you can up the gpm without too much worry of flooding.

remember that since 80-90% of the water from a jet shoots back towards the drain opening, too much water flowing back will be a mess and also flood out your jet stream.

but with a trailer jetter, you can always divert water back into the tank if you have too much jetter.

also take into account that a jetter will lose a lot of pressure the longer or smaller diameter hose you have.

a us jetter at 18gpm with 4000psi at the pump will deliver approx. 3200 psi at the nozzle with 500' of 1/2'' hose on the reel.

you can turn down pressure, but you can't turn up pressure beyond the specs of the equipment. well maybe 10%

rick.
            Rick what are the specs on your jetter.

Simon

Comment

Rick how do you divert the water back into the tank?thanx ray

Comment

Originally posted by SEWERRAT66 View Post
                Trailer jets have an unloader valve. If the PSI gets above the max PSI it will unload the excess back into the tank.

Comment

Doh,see what happens when you text when your not awake.I knew that.....

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                    Rick what are the specs on your jetter.

Simon
                    simon, jetters are like sewer machines. they are sized similar to what you would need for a cable machine.

my 2 hp. electric is 1500# @ 2.1 gpm.

my 6.5 hp is 2500# @ 3gpm.

my 18hp. is 3500# @ 5.6gpm

my 24 hp. is 2500# @ 11gpm.

then i'm pursuing a us jetter 50hp 4000# @ 18gpm.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SEWERRAT66 View Post

as ron mentioned, the unloader will bypass and put it back into the tank. where a cart jetter that doesn't have a tank, it will recirculate it back into the inlet of the pump. after a couple minutes, it will overheat as the water circulates.

another trick with a tank jetter is to add a tee and a valve on the high pressure discharge then open it up to bypass excess water into the tank. since the size hose and jetter nozzle will dictate your max. flow, you can throttle the bypass valve open to dump excess water and save the unloader.

also if you can adjust the rpm on the engine, you can typically lower the rpm to lower the gpm. on large jetters, they usually have a 2 speed solenoid for the engine.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

RON or RICK or ANY ONE

rick is looking into a jetter with 18 gpm with 4000psi and you use a 17gpm with 1700psi, just about the same gpm but ricks has more psi. what can he do that you cant? if any thing? How do you like jetting with lower psi?
                        most guys seem to be around 3k-4k psi?

Rick i take it your trailer jetter is 24hp x 2500psi?

how often are you guys using your trailer jetters?

Comment

The higher PSI with the same GPM will cut through hard/solid blockages quicker. The 4000 psi machine will cut through roots a lot faster than my 1700 psi machine.

As I have said in past posts I only use jetters to clear sludge, grease, or mud filled lines. I prefer to use a rodder to clear solid blockages. I can clear solid blockages just as good as any jetter, with the right rod and heads.

I use my trailer jetter a dozen or so times a year. Mostly at places I know the line is packed with grease or sludge.

Comment

area drains that are mud and roots are a key candidate for jetting.

a snake can cut roots, but it's pretty much useless in dirt/ mud. also with pools and diatumacious earth, nothing but a jetter will clear and clean that stuff.

i also find that lines with both large and small roots are not going to be cut with a cable and blades. where a blade will skip the small roots, a jetter will not. grabbing a pony tail is easy for a snake, it's grabbing a crew cut that is the trick. especially when the roots are coming in from a change of direction wye that's capped. only a jetter can get to those roots.

remember that just like plumbing, there is serious pressure loss due to friction. so a 4000# jetter with 500' of 1/2'' running 18gpm will deliver approx 3200# at the nozzle.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

My one sticking point in buying this trailer jetter is its only 2000psi

The guys down under (Australia) or running up to 5000psi!

Comment

Working...
                              X