X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Drum Machines In Reverse...

Why is it so bad to run a drum machine in reverse ? I have a K-39AF with a first generation auto feed that needs to run in reverse to retrieve the cable yet the newer K-39AF owners manual says not to do so for over a few seconds. I was broke in on a old General Senior with 3/4" cable. Ran that thing in reverse all the time in certain situations with no problems. General cutters even have teeth on both sides of the cutter.

So what's all the hype ? What's the worst that could happen

Re: Running Drum Machines In Reverse...

going backward against the wind of the cable and the head gets stuck will tweak the cable if not stopped quick enough, and if near a bend can get the cable pretty stuck. Don't get me wrong I use reverse when I feel it is needed but then go back to forward. On the K-60 I use reverse more though if I have a series of bends and I use it as an auto feed to get past a bad spot in the line.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

on a drum it coils the cable inward to the drum. bad.

on a sectional with my secret weapon auger, it's the bomb

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The real reason is the way the cable is wound up in the drum. On reverse, the cable can come shooting out at you if you do not have a firm grip. The other reasons is if you are not careful while torquing up the cable on reverse you can cause waves and kinks more easily.

I run my 1065 on reverse many of times to clear real tough stoppages that on forward it just did not want to get a bit into the blockage. But I have the auto feed tightened all the way down to help hold back on the cable to keep it from shooting out of the drum when I get into the blockage.

The Spartan 100 sometimes gets tough to pull the cable out on forward due to some tough blockages tighten the cable on the inner drum, so there are times I will run it in reverse as well. But again have to have a firm grip to ensure the cable does not shoot out of the drum.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I run them in reverse on muck clogs. Like everyone else says i can coil up, or come spitting out of a drum if you lodge on to something real quick. Can also unscrew your cutter blade if its the screw on type.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Long time no see Drain Medic good to see ya
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
            X