Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Removing Hard Scale Buildup in Cast Iron Pipe - K60?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Hard Scale Buildup in Cast Iron Pipe - K60?

I have a hard scale buildup in a cast iron drain line in my basement floor. Drainage gradually getting worse over the 17 years we’ve lived here. Limited access, 2” CIP coming vertically from the kitchen into a 90 -w- 2” access for our washing machine standpipe. I've been looking at sectional machines. Reading forums there is talk of using “Chain Knockers” to remove hard scale with sectional machines, wondering if this is the right tool (I see Ridgid offers one. right type?). A second issue, I've had trouble in the past passing the 2” 90 deg CI elbow with larger tools on 5/8 -7/8 cables.

1.) Would a "trap leader" (offered by Ridgid) help a larger tool make the 90 deg. corner?
    2.) What would be the best Tool for hard scale removal?
    See picture below for ref.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Mark

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Removing Hard Scale Buildup in Cast Iron Pipe - K60?

a chain knocker is good for removing scale.
    Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

the sectional is a great tool for this application and much safer than a drum machine. your challenge is the 90 you described. have you tried a 4 blade cutter and slowly grind your way into the line.

not sure if the t-114 chain knocker will fit 2'' pipe or pass a 2'' 90. the 4 blade followed up by jetting will be your next best way to clean the line fully.

if the line is accessible, then changing it would be better. under slab/ concrete. start snaking.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

There is a 2" chain knocker that goes on the 5/8 cable
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

They are pretty easy to make as well....

A little chain on a cutter holder does a great job and Rick is correct in that a sectional is the only way to go due to it's higher RPM's

Save yourself a turn and remove the banded couplings and the fitting (washer tie-in?) so you can drop straight into the 90.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the sectional is a great tool for this application and much safer than a drum machine. your challenge is the 90 you described. have you tried a 4 blade cutter and slowly grind your way into the line.

not sure if the t-114 chain knocker will fit 2'' pipe or pass a 2'' 90. the 4 blade followed up by jetting will be your next best way to clean the line fully.

if the line is accessible, then changing it would be better. under slab/ concrete. start snaking.

rick.
            Ya i would definitely use a small sectional on this acouple times....then jet it with the camera in the line to make sure your pushing all the scale out. Just make sure you send the jet upstream so you can pull all the scale out with you, or use a forward nozzle, but be carefull you can pack all the scale in one spot downstream.
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I feel I now have the understanding to do the job right.

Mark

Comment

Save yourself some time and forget using a cable machine at all. Jet the line with a rotating nozzle like a Warthog then flush the line with a camera as stated before. Way faster with better results.
                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Well, I did some experimenting on my lines today with the k-60 of course.I was able to snake down the 2" drain with the 7/8" cables with no struggles. ( I did replace the 2"test tee with a wye to make life easier.)The biggest head I could come up with was the 2 blade cutter .Looks like 1 3/4" across. Ran about 45' well into the 4" and out the house. Then I did try to snake down the 3" floor drainNot happening even with a trap leader.The smallest head I had was the 2 blade cutter . Probably not the most ideal head to try and put down a scaled up trap but tried none the less. I am going to buy the 4 blade cutter for my 7/8" cables that is 1 3/4" and try that down the 3" floor drain ...I am also going to buy the chain knocker. I think I have about every other head .Was trying to run the 7/8" instead of the 5/8" Looks like the pic came through
                  Attached Files
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

More pics of my cutter collection...If there is something I am missing chime in please! I am really looking for smaller heads for clearing 2" lines using the 7/8 " cables
                    Attached Files
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X