Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble snaking a clogged tub drain.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble snaking a clogged tub drain.

Hello. I recently purchased a Cobra LX 250 to replace some other model snake I had that broke. Today I'm trying to unclog a tub drain and I can't seem to get the snake out of the system more than 6 or 7 feet. I've gotten it in the drain no problem, but after getting to the aforementioned length I can't anymore length. It gets to a point were I can pull out a few more inches, but as soon as I let go it retracts back in the system.

I even took it out of the drain, went outside, pulled it out as far as it will go. I'm doing everything right according to the instructions and the customer service offices are closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Having trouble snaking a clogged tub drain.

IF you couldn't pull it out at all I would say it was a kink in the cable or you are at a bad spot in the line. Try putting the switch in reveres and try to run a little ways in.If it is wound up it might come lose and feed down, I have seen a few new machines that had the switch in backwards or the plate up side down so when you had it in forward it was really in reverse.It sounds like it is binding some how.

Comment

your cable flipped/ twisted in the drum and is binding. remove the drum cover and unwind the cable.

rick.

painterx stick around and help with painting questions. not sure if we have any pro painters on the forum.

need some advise on a painted metal fence at my shop. it was originally painted with black oil base paint. now only 1 quart cans are available in oil. do i spend big money on the quarts, or prime and paint with water base/ latex. would need at least 2 gallons or more.

thanks.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I used a speedway 650hd "made by cobra but painted yellow" The cable flipped in the drum every 2nd or 3rd use. put a new cable in the ridgid and threw that yellow pos off the truck
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PainterX View Post
          Hello. I recently purchased a Cobra LX 250 to replace some other model snake I had that broke. Today I'm trying to unclog a tub drain and I can't seem to get the snake out of the system more than 6 or 7 feet. I've gotten it in the drain no problem, but after getting to the aforementioned length I can't anymore length. It gets to a point were I can pull out a few more inches, but as soon as I let go it retracts back in the system.

I even took it out of the drain, went outside, pulled it out as far as it will go. I'm doing everything right according to the instructions and the customer service offices are closed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          my first question which if you went in 6'-7' I am sure I Know the answer is this an old house , apt , condo, with old drain pipe still in wall if yes then yoy are wownd up in the drum trap they were very widely used in chicago and burbs
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

this was my thought as well

Did you end up in a Drum trap?
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

With the right rod and or cable, I can easly rod through a drum trap in Chicago. Its all a matter of feeling the cable through the trap and not forcing it or you will get twisted up, and cause your cable to flip in the drum.

My prefered machine for bathtubs is the K-50 with the small drum, and the 5/16 bulb end cable. Before I attemped rodding a tub though I use my Ro-Pump to suck out any blockages. I pulled out a many of shampoo caps out with the Ro-Pump.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ya i wouldnt even attempt a drum trap thru an overflow. Specially if its a lead line. 80% of tub lines here are drums. If the customer doesnt want to replace the trap, then i will drill after the discharge of the trap on the straight and use a boiler plug or just cut it and fernco it.
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                  Ya i wouldnt even attempt a drum trap thru an overflow. Specially if its a lead line. 80% of tub lines here are drums. If the customer doesnt want to replace the trap, then i will drill after the discharge of the trap on the straight and use a boiler plug or just cut it and fernco it.
                  Why not pop the cap off the drum trap and snake it from there?

Comment

Originally posted by Gauvil View Post
                    Why not pop the cap off the drum trap and snake it from there?
                    I have never seen one where one could get the top off of it,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

pop is a good word. all of the ones that i've seen is where someone broke the lid then left. that was why i was there. i've never had any luck. maybe i don't know the magic. i tell ho up front what chances are. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        I have never seen one where one could get the top off of it,
                        Well...here in ohio they used a chromed pot metal cap.I pop them off with a hammer and screw driver,snake it and re-seal it with an expansion plug or another drum trap lid.

Comment

Working...
                        X