Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the guys who Do time and machine charge.

For the guys who Do time and machine charge.

Can you pm me how you are billing this out ?

I don’t expect $ amounts just a basic lay out?

Man hour charge?
    And an idea for the machine charge?

Just looking at if I want to go this route?

thanks mike
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Re: For the guys who Do time and machine charge.

It's not a very complicated system. First figure out what your hourly rate is. Then figure out what you want to charge for your different machines. Add those together along with any parts you use, and you are done.

Comment

mine looks something like this

x Hours labor $XX
      1 sewer machine charge $XX
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Yes I have a different charge for lets say my K1500 and clearing a sewerage pipe compared with my K50 or K39 clearing a kitchen waste pipe plus my hourly rate for the first hour.

Tony

Comment

Ours break down like this.

Labor per half hour charge
          Service Call

Then rod charges break down as:

Small Rod Charge
          Med / Large Rod charge

If you want more info shoot me a pm with any questions.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I don't break down my labor vs. machine. I bill by the hour for each machine but the labor is figured in.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Thanks for all the responses and the PMs I will do some math and see if this will help me out.

I have had a lot of people ask me how and why I charge what I do.
              Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

The old company I worked for 5 years ago charged $50 machine charge for the k1500, $25 for the K50, $10 for the auger. What was really funny and ticked people off was the conditions of the machines...

Comment

We charge $xxx for the first hour $xx per 1/2 hour after
                  $xx to pull a toilet if the line is over 100' $xx per reel added
                  Smaller drains are flate rate Sinks, tubs, toilets etc.
                  Sewer camera is flat rate unless added to a sewer job then it's 50% off.
                  No machine charges
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    The old company I worked for 5 years ago charged $50 machine charge for the k1500, $25 for the K50, $10 for the auger. What was really funny and ticked people off was the conditions of the machines...
                    I have machines that well into being 50 years old and look beat the heck. But the key is they still spin the cable, and the cable is in good shape. So in other words it does not matter what the machine looks like, as long as you have good cable in the machine and it works.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We do something like that, but package it differently so that we can present an understandable estimate to the customer.

A few quick questions during the initial phone call will pretty much let you suss it out, and you know what you are doing and what you are using.

we then 'flat rate' the first hour; a clogged toilet is x, a toilet that is backing up into a tub is clearly different, and that is $y, a sink that is clearly just the sink is $z, a sink that is a back to back takes a little longer and that is $z+a bit.

so we package a 1st hour/1hr minimum and a machine charge and trip charge into one number by fixture, and can then tell the customer after a few questions "I think I understand your problem, and unless I'm missing something it should be straightforward and we can solve it for $x. If we run into something unusual that takes some extra time, we charge $y/hr after the first hr, but we get 95% of them within an hr."

When I first started using this system, it seemed a little overly complex, but after a few years with it it makes a lot of sense to me. Customers feel they've been led down the path when you tell them you are whatever an hour and they get a machine charge and trip charge on top of the hourly, and it takes too long to explain it all over the phone and get them to understand it and it makes them think too much. Much cleaner to simply say kitchen sink = $x. And they feel better about having been told $x and then it's done and here's the bill and sure enough it's $x. And most of the time on, say, a sink I'm out in about 35 minutes. And I'd have coversations every day about how I billed for an hour but I was only there 35min while with this system those just don't happen. In fact it often turns it around to where I'm seen by customer as extra good because I got done quick for the $ I said I would and they can get on with their day.

Additional clogs are discounted from flat rate as I don't have to drive; like 'My laundy drain backed up and I need that cleared, and the sink in the kids' bathroom has been slow for months so can you do that too?' gets a price break on the second fixture. This is good for me as if I'm cranking and I get their 2 probs done in an hour, I still charge for 2 probs, not just the hour, so I get paid for being intelligent and effiecient instead of another guy who gets paid for being slow or milking it. And the cutomer still gets a break which is only fair because I didn't have to drive to another site.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X