X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer pump

we have replaced our sewer pump for our lift station for our septic system twice in the last 8 months. I am wondering if this pump should constantly run. Even after no one has used the basement bathroom for hours it continues to hum. I am wondering if this will eventually burn out the motor which I suspect happened with the first new one we put in. Any advice would help. I am paranoid that we will have this sewage in our basement again.

Re: sewer pump

Originally posted by mmaydav View Post
    we have replaced our sewer pump for our lift station for our septic system twice in the last 8 months. I am wondering if this pump should constantly run. Even after no one has used the basement bathroom for hours it continues to hum. I am wondering if this will eventually burn out the motor which I suspect happened with the first new one we put in. Any advice would help. I am paranoid that we will have this sewage in our basement again.
    Pumps are not supposed to run constantly. Sounds like the switch is faulty or the pump might be clogged. Is there water in the pit over the pump, or can you see the base of the pump? If the water is over the pump and its running, its clearly an obstruction somewhere. If the water is at the base of the pump then your switch is stuck on.

If it seems there is an obstruction, you would need to unplug the pump and remove it from the pit. KEEP IT UNPLUGGED and check the impeller for anything stuck in it and if it spins freely. If it spins freely, then check the check valve make sure the flapper is still in place and hinged. I seen many of the flappers break off the hinge but still in the body of the valve and act like a stopper every now and then and burn out the pumps. If the flapper is missing it might be stuck somewhere in the discharge pipe.

I hope this gets you in the right direction.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Check the floats. Are they free. Check to make sure the floats are wired in, not that the pump is wired hot.

A septic tank and risers should be water tight. Ground water can cause pumps to run non stop if you have had a lot a rain or are in wet area.

A cheap pump from your local farm store will not last long even if they say its for septic. Go to a supply house and get a real effluent pump.

Comment

Put the pump on two eight inch blocks. This will keep pump off the bottom of the tank and free of pump killers. If all else fails call Ron looks like he lives close. Put an alarm on the system to tell you when the level gets too high. Tank alert float. It pretty easy. There should be a box with a swich to run the pump. A pump should last a long time. Spend the money for a dual pump with a real float tree with an alarm float and a control box.
        Last edited by DANE; 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X