Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Field Pipe ??

Hi All...

I have a question about the drainfield. I have 2 pipes that run about 50' each, seperated by 20'. 1000 gallon system, 2 people and a child in the home. My drainage field is draining slow... I have had it hydrojetted out.. it's probably just getting old and needing replacement. (30 years)

My question is this... I am thinking about cutting the ends of the lines off, and creating a drainage basin 4'x4'x8' at the end of each line and having the effluent water drain into this.

Thoughts?

Re: Drain Field Pipe ??

Call a licenced professional and get their opinion. This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Or call your health department and ask if your idea is even legal.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

How about burying an old Caddy down stream with a pipe in the roof.
      Funny ? That was done Years ago.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I pumped a old system for an installer. They had replaced it with a new mound.They had added tile twice over the years and it still never worked that well, plus it was no longer to code.The old farmer way is to add more tile. Do you need a permit to change the system? Is the waste going to stay below grade? 30 years isnt too bad for a septic. Remember what you put in is going to have to handle 4000 to 6000 gallons of waste a month. I would look into a new system and move on. If it still dosent work that well you have wasted time and money and waste water in your home and in your yard.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Our soil is very absorbant, as it's medium course sand. What I am having trouble figuring out is this... our drainage field works to a point... is it ideal, no, but it did drain for 5 months before we had an issue. Why is it that drainage field lines are capped at the end and spread out over 50'-100' at a 1' depth of rock. In theory, couldn't you have 2 pipes drain into, say a 4' deep hole of drainage rock that measures 15'x8'?? If you had 2 drainage "areas" that were each 500 gallon capacity of rock (with good drainage soil), wouldn't that be a similar set-up?

Comment

Soil boring is what you need. Some soil is too fine even though it a sandy soil. Digging a hole and pouring water in isnt good enough in my book. You may want to dig up the D box and jet from there. Its hard to jet the entire field from the outlet pipe. You can only jet half of the system at best from the outlet pipe. It Dig up the D box and jet from there and stuck the water up with a septic truck. If you have a vent at the end of the field and its full of water its most likely toast.

Comment

The purpose of a drainfield is not only to get rid of the efluent from the septic tank, it is also to clean it before it returns to the water table. Well drained soil is not always the best for this purpose. By altering your drainfield you could actually be polluting the ground water and your well or your neighbors well.

You can try to jet it from the Distribution box and pump the waste like Dane said first, but if that doesn't work, get it fixed right. You don't want to be the one resposible for polluting the wells in the area.
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Good suggestion, thanks. Although I don't think we have a D box... the plans just show a T joint off the main line, leading to 2 other pipes. If the drainage field isn't working, instead of building a "pit" could I just extend the pipes another 50' or so and create a new drainage field? I wouldn't have to dig up the existing lines if I have the space to add more lines to the current ones, right?

Comment

does it rain a lot in spokane, i thought so. do you have a perimeter drain around your system? do you drive over it? lots of things can be wrong here. you are shopping for a solution to a symptom, you need to treat the disease. breid........

Comment

any updates ??

Comment

Working...
                    X