X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to back toilets !

Well went on a call yesterday. Restaurant , the only thing that was backing up was the bathrooms in the back. Toilet was pulled when I got there..sweet...I just could not get a cable through..Tried 7/8", 5/8" nothing was working..Tried using a trap leader. I was thinking they used a double t-wye . Not happening .Up on the roof I went with the k-60 I hand fed all 150' of cable ..Nothing..Apparently the 3" stack vent was not connecting to that branch..Now I'm getting pissed..Pack everything up go back down stairs and keep trying..A buddy came by to give me a hand..Say's "Why dont you try going down the lavy drain" I really wanted to get my 7/8" cables down that line but had to settle for the 5/8"..While I was snaking I had my buddy use the closet supply to fill the line ..Then he says "There it goes"..I was so happy just to get it.Had I just went down the lavy drain after several attempts I would have been out of there a lot sooner. Bottom line ,stoppage was cleared but looking for a cable / head combo for back to back toilets.I would have love to have had a camera to see why nothing was working
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Back to back toilets !

Restaurant should have had a cleanout somewhere...no

Whenever I see a toilet that has already been pulled, I have a different reaction....aw crap! Usually means someone else has been there before me and didn't get it done.

How far was the cable going in from the toilet flange before it wouldn't go?...less than 1 section usually means back to back Trap leader with 4 blade spade usually makes the drop from me if you work it enough. The Ridgid Micro Drain would have saved you some time and headaches there. It's affordable

Going in from the lavy got it cleared but comes with a bit of a risk also. Grab 3 or 4 tampons on the cable and she won't come back out through the lavy arm ....then what?

Comment

sounds like you were getting hung up on the baffle. otherwise you would have been in the other toilet

sacrifice your worst cable and cut off the first 6'' of tight wind from the front male end. keep the 14 section with female end. then take the open end and make your reverse wound auger with a bend in it. attach a vise grip about 3' back. line up the handle in the direction of the bend. this gives you the ability to hand turn the cable facing down and knowing where the bend is based on the vise grip handle.

once pointed in the right direction, remove the vise grips and run the machine in reverse. you now have the best auger to catch wipes and roots. but remember it needs to run in reverse as the cable wind is a reverse wind. the cable acts a large corkscrew.

this too should also allow you to get into the 1.5'' line, unless there are tight turn 90's.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Restaurant should have had a cleanout somewhere...no No and I was quite haunted

Whenever I see a toilet that has already been pulled, I have a different reaction....aw crap! Usually means someone else has been there before me and didn't get it done. Dont think anyone was ahead of me .They were trying to get it with a hank snake

How far was the cable going in from the toilet flange before it wouldn't go?...less than 1 section usually means back to back Trap leader with 4 blade spade usually makes the drop from me if you work it enough. The Ridgid Micro Drain would have saved you some time and headaches there. It's affordable Yep it was less than 1 section of cable that would go. I tried the trap leader and 4 blade cutter..No go

Going in from the lavy got it cleared but comes with a bit of a risk also. Grab 3 or 4 tampons on the cable and she won't come back out through the lavy arm ....then what?
        Good point
        but I got it and hopefully they won't have problem for a lOOONG TIME. They also could use a new toilet . The existing has a piss poor flush , which doesn't help matters

Ric I am trying to get a picture in my mind what you are trying to help me do. I would love a pic of the home made cable head ..I can't believe Ridgid doesn't have a drop head auger for the bigger machinesOh well Thanks all again for your help ..

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Good point
          but I got it and hopefully they won't have problem for a lOOONG TIME. They also could use a new toilet . The existing has a piss poor flush , which doesn't help matters

Ric I am trying to get a picture in my mind what you are trying to help me do. I would love a pic of the home made cable head ..I can't believe Ridgid doesn't have a drop head auger for the bigger machinesOh well Thanks all again for your help ..
          Rick let my borrow his "Secret Weapon" when I used his machine while mine was down.

All it is is one of your most tweeked cable that you want to sacrifice/replace by cutting off the end he told you to cut off

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Rick let my borrow his "Secret Weapon" when I used his machine while mine was down.

All it is is one of your most tweeked cable that you want to sacrifice/replace by cutting off the end he told you to cut off
            What?! Your 60 is down? Not in the Maintenance thread? What broke?

J.C.

Comment

picture the regular auger that you buy. it's a corkscrew auger that's 6'' long. now picture a 15' cable with the male pin end cut off, shortened to 14'. then the end is heated to allow the cable end to flare out a little. sharpen the end hook and then heat treat it with a torch and oil.

at this point you will have a straight auger that's 14' long. put a bend in the last 3'' to give you an offset. this will straighten out in smaller pipe and go back to a 45 bend in larger pipe.

the vice grips are used to hand place the offset into the line and still know which direction the offset is facing as you vice gripped them with the handle pointing the same direction as the offset. once you feel your way into the line with the cable/ vice grips pointing down, then remove the grips and start up the machine. remember that the cable is a reverse wind and therefore the motor needs to be run in reverse. this will corkscrew into any root mass and baby wipes out there. it will also cause the cable to actually auto feed as the wind will grip the pipe edge and thread its way down.

this cable method has cleared stoppages that the other cutters couldn't tear up. then follow up with a spiral root saw.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I use a 3 foot leader with a 45 bend in it, then mostly guide it by feel. I can usually tell when I get it to drop. I do still have a cutter on the end, so no matter what I run afoul of I can get it cleared out.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  What?! Your 60 is down? Not in the Maintenance thread? What broke?

J.C.
                  J.C. you are one of the most unique guys here.

I got my K-60 off E-bay new used once appearance.I had my first job with it.It would run fine with no load.As soon as it came time for it to start working on something requiring it to start bearing down it would shut off.

Rick,Josh Mark and the rest of the gang were at the house.Rick,Josh and myself hung out in my garage troubleshooting the sixty.Utah entertained the ladies.

Apparently the clutch was misaligned,others(Wookie for one I believe) have had the same problem with their out of the box machine.

Rick asked for a piece of 3/4" pipe so we could align the whole assembly while we put it back together.

The clutch had been grooved from being ran improperly..Once I got it out and running on the job She has not even hickupped over the past year and a half.

Can't appologize for taking up your guys time.This was one of my favorite gathering memories and I like talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    picture the regular auger that you buy. it's a corkscrew auger that's 6'' long. now picture a 15' cable with the male pin end cut off, shortened to 14'. then the end is heated to allow the cable end to flare out a little. sharpen the end hook and then heat treat it with a torch and oil.

at this point you will have a straight auger that's 14' long. put a bend in the last 3'' to give you an offset. this will straighten out in smaller pipe and go back to a 45 bend in larger pipe.

the vice grips are used to hand place the offset into the line and still know which direction the offset is facing as you vice gripped them with the handle pointing the same direction as the offset. once you feel your way into the line with the cable/ vice grips pointing down, then remove the grips and start up the machine. remember that the cable is a reverse wind and therefore the motor needs to be run in reverse. this will corkscrew into any root mass and baby wipes out there. it will also cause the cable to actually auto feed as the wind will grip the pipe edge and thread its way down.

this cable method has cleared stoppages that the other cutters couldn't tear up. then follow up with a spiral root saw.

rick.

Gotcha Rick ,
                    Thanks The lightbulb finally came on. As soon as I can bear to part with one of my cables I will make one Thanks again all on everyones creativity and sharing ..Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X