X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is happening here?

So I get a call on a bathroom sink not draining. When home owner flushs toilet, sink backs up or in the morning they will find sink full of water and can't figure where it's coming from? This is a one story home with bath and sink draining to same line which flows to main stack in bathroom. So I get their and flush toilet and sure enough sink fills up so I look at bath tub and no water in tub and drains with no problem and this drains to same line as sinks drain to. Seeing as sinks are 3 ft. higher then drain in tub I can't figure when you flush toilet their is water in sink but not tub? I did fix the problem but wonder why sink filled when flushing toilet.

Re: What is happening here?

could it be the sink is wet vented into the toilet stack/vent? running the sink, did it bubble into the toilet?

where did you snake it from and how far out did it clear?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I knew the sink wasn't draining so I figured I would start their and snake from under the sink. Their was two sinks and both traps were metal and ready to fall apart so didn't want to go their. Went down in bsmt. and their was a drain line coming from stack out 6 ft. the bath tub drain was connected to this line and on the end of the line was the sink connection. Lucky for me their was a clean out on the end. I snaked up the line to the sinks about 4 ft. and this opened the line to the sinks. For good measure I snaked the 6 ft. line to the stand pipe. Problem was solved as I flushed toilet and no more water filling sink and not draining. But still wonder how flushing toilet caused water to be forced into sink and not draining but still not forcing water into tub.

Comment

That is odd
        Say the main vent is stopped up and the lavs vent tied back to it
        When the comode flushed it created a suction in the stoped up lav vent , and pulled some of water back up in the lav like a plunger would
        Last edited by DELCASE; 09-01-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

how well did the tub drain, blockages can work both ways so maybe the water found it easier to go up the L-sink than tub.

Comment

The question for me is why did the toilet not overflow.

J.C.

Comment

I asked owner about toilet and she said no problem flushing just that everytime water came up in sink. So toilet was working just fine also tub was draining good. Some how flushing toilet was causing water and pressure to force it's way up to sink but not tub, very strange. After flushing water would stay in sink so it was being forced past the plug by pressure but not draining. I think it would drain out after a couple of hours or over night. Maybe the plug was working like a flap? But still can't understand why water didn't go to tub.

Comment

If the tub and com worked , Its the vents
                If the lavs wont drain they wont let water back up either

Comment

Originally posted by wizzy View Post
                  I asked owner about toilet and she said no problem flushing just that everytime water came up in sink. So toilet was working just fine also tub was draining good. Some how flushing toilet was causing water and pressure to force it's way up to sink but not tub, very strange. After flushing water would stay in sink so it was being forced past the plug by pressure but not draining. I think it would drain out after a couple of hours or over night. Maybe the plug was working like a flap? But still can't understand why water didn't go to tub.
                  The tub can have it's own vent and the clog in the main just when the toilet goes horizontal.

Suspicious of a backpitched trap-arm too.

J.C.

Comment

Wisconsin allows what I think are some odd practices venting-wise.With X ray vision you'd see a mess behind the walls and it would all be clear!

Comment

This one is right up there with the spitting sink. I'd have to see it to believe it.

All I can think is there was water standing in the sink vent because of the clog, that hadn't come up into the sink (yet) because of another clog, and overnight would make it's way there slowly, and flushing the toilet pressurized the vent pushing the standing water in the sink vent into the sink.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

WIZZY ... you need to go back and run water down the stack to see if its stopped up

Comment

So is this a saniflo type macerating toilet and it pumps into the lavatory drain but the lavatory drain is clogged so it backs up through the lavatory arm and into the bowl.

Or he has a floor drain in the "lavatory" and the mofo is calling the bathroom the lavatory.

Comment

I had the same thing happen, could not believe it with out seeing it.
                            Ran a 6 closet snake through the toilet and it flushed fine, but still had standing water in the lav, cabled the lav and all was good. That was about 9 months ago and they have not had a problem since.

I think it might be a partially plugged side inlet closet bend.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
                              I think it might be a partially plugged side inlet closet bend.
                              best thought I've heard yet.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X