X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time purchase advice

Don't ignore my post as some clown asking what machine to buy for drain cleaning....I am a little past there, so please read on and any advice is appreciated!

and please don't let this degrade into drum vs. sectionals, I have made my decision on that issue.

I have 23 yrs in new construction, and then the last 2 in service and repair.
    I currently don't do any drain cleaning, but I have had too many calls that had multiple issues, including drain cleaning, or been on a call and while there want me to look at slow draining something. I want to be set up to take care of all issues a customer has.

Most of what I will initially deal with will be kitchens, showers, tubs, lavs, floor drains and washers.
    We have many old homes (early 1900's) in our area so I see 1 1/2 gal., also
    1 1/4 dwv copper.

My plan is to start with K-50 combo kit 8 at tool up ($1258)
    That will give me: 6 sections 5/8 x 7 1/2'
    Straight auger-5" long
    Bulb auger - 1 1/8 od
    C cutter- 1 3/8"
    Spade cutter-1 3/8
    Coupling pin key
    cable carrier
    Rear guide hose 6'
    hand mitt
    drum adapter w/25' x 5 16 cable w/bulb auger
    drum adapter w/35' x 3/8 cable w/bulb auger ** # 2 below refers to this

So my questions:
    1- any other tools you would suggest?

2- should I buy a section of 3/8 cable for drum with male coupling for more versatility? if so what length? 25', 35' or 50'?

3- my last question (which this answer could totally screw all my planning) I would later like to also get a K-60, however I first need something for smaller drains........I did see where guys have put the K-50 drum adapters on the K-60, does that work or does it take some modifications to make it work? If that does work.........then maybe I should be getting K-60 with adapters...........

Re: First time purchase advice

Don't forget about the K-39AF/K-45AF

Comment

Yes the k-50 drums just bolt up no fuss, I use them all the time but the k-60 can overpower the small cable if you are not careful should only take one kinked cable to teach you. But the k-50 is lighter so unless it is on another truck you will probably reach for it anyway on sinks.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

as long as Rick stays out of this thread, you're fine!

But on a serious note..it's my opinion only that..the K-50 is a nice universal machine to start out with. I don't do nearly as much draining cleaning as a lot of guys here do, but the K-50 was a solid choice for us.

Comment

based on your initial needs, the k-50 is a great choice. but i would defiantly get a few more sections of 5/8'' cable. 75' total should be enough for most branch lines/ kitchens. 45' does come up short.

i've never been a drum adapter fan. but i can tell you the k-60 will destroy the drum cables unless you have a very good feeling for the cables. just too much speed and power.

i know you will be getting the k-60 sooner than later for your real stubborn stoppages

you might rethink your purchase and get the k-45af and the k-60 with both 5/8'' and 7/8'' cable. although the k-50 is a great machine, the k-60 overlap the k-50. i have both and use both, but money is not an object

so to save some money down the road, and still be able to do 95% of your residential drain cleaning, the k-60 and k-45af might be a wiser first choice

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Yep the 50 is an awsome little machine.Used one for years.Just gave 2 away after buying the 60 .Not trying to talk you out of the 50 since you already have made up your mind .But The versatility of the 60 doesn't even compare. Yes if you are getting the drum attachments for the 50 def. the 3/8" with the male end. Then you can use alot more of your heads .I keep a drop head auger on mine just because that is the head I use the most with that cable..What was great when I bought my 60 was that I already had all the 5/8" cables and heads so now I am set.Good luck with your purchase you will make some $$$ with the 50
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I got a K-60 and a K39AF when I got going. Not much you cant do with just these two machine.

Comment

Wish I could upgrade been wanting to for years.... I just haven't had the need, I do maybe, 6 drains a year so I make do with my old general and Marco mainline drums and my K-38 sink gun

Comment

Thanks guys for all the replys, very helpfull

I had thought about the K39AF, my concern is I had some (bad) experiences yrs ago trying to clean out tub drains with a general wire super vee style machine. It was cumbersome to use and you needed a 3rd hand to guide the cable.
                  maybe it was just me but I didn't have much success with that machine and liked the idea of freeing up my hands a little.

I know the auto feed will help with some of that........just have those bad memories to overcome.

so maybe some additional thought on the K39 are in order....
                  (see what happens, I had my mind all made up..........then I had to ask!)

Comment

I like my K39AF. I super easy to use. If you use everyday it will not last a lifetime. Remove the cable after each use. I think the auto feed is good enough to out weight what the drill lacks. Mine is three years old and is getting tired plus we tend to jet kitchen lines not cable them. Use it in the proper size line and it will pay for it self in no time. I just did a whole school with 30 urials with thing. The new model is just out it sound like the drill is alittle more HD. Home Depot carries the thing plus cables in many markets. Buy an extra cable for the thing, sometimes they last months sometimes hours.

Comment

Hey it arrived this last week. I worked in a spot on my truck have 2 jobs next week that I will be able to use it on.

Thanks again for your help.

on a side note, check out the rolling work table it is on, picked up 4 at auction for $50...50 for all 4
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RDW920 View Post
                        Hey it arrived this last week. I worked in a spot on my truck have 2 jobs next week that I will be able to use it on.

Thanks again for your help.

on a side note, check out the rolling work table it is on, picked up 4 at auction for $50...50 for all 4
                        Shweeheet.
                        Hope you find drain cleaning enough to get a 60.You'd love it

I've tackled everything that my community has thrown at me with the k-60 so far.This could have only been done with the knowledge shared with me here by thoughtfull others.

And yes,most of all my beloved friend Rick getting me calmed down and out of a few very scary situations.

Comment

Right out the gate duct tape the rubber feet on or you will lose one and never notice till it's long gone. You need them to not mar someones nice floor.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Check the legs on the k50 you have them on wrong. The short leg goes in the rear marvin

Comment

Just a quick update.

I have had a chance to use my K-50 and I am very happy with my purchase.

Everything I have cleaned has been from inside of the homes, either basement access or CO under kit sinks. Not many exterior clean outs here which is good on weeks like this with highs in the teens

I have done a few kitchen lines, floor drains and AW traps.

I made and used a reverse auger which worked great when I couldn't get anything else through a 2" FD trap.

One kit. was a 35' run across a home with no other branches with lots of grease. I used Sewer Ratz rag trick on that one and it worked great.

I was also amazed that when running some water down the drains after cleared and spinning the cable how clean the cables come out of the line.

So I am now working toward a K-60.

The main reason for todays post is to thank:

Ridgid for a great machine
                              Rick for all your posts and advice
                              Sewer Ratz for all your tips and experience

Oh and that leg in the wrong position.... came out of the box that way! but obvious to me once you mentioned it.

Comment

Working...
                              X