X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic Pump problems

I wrote this last week for another forum. Unfortuantley there are a lot of plumbers who only work in cities and are not too familiar with septic systems. I was thrilled to come across this forum!!
    We are new to country living and have never had to contend with a septic system. Our house is now 11 years old. 4 months after we moved in the septic pump smoked itself to death. Our plumber changed the pump. The original was quite small and sure looks like a cheap sump pump. He installed a Red Lion ( actually made by Little Giant). The box was marked sewage pump. I think it was 1/3 HP. It has a separate float. Within 4 or 5 weeks I was walking past the tank and heard gurgling. The pump was still running but the water side of the tank was dry. Plumber replaced the float switch but told me that he thinks the septic system has a blockage??? The pump was running but not pumping. We were away when he did this work and when I returned it was running and still not pumping. But with an hour or 2 it started working fine. The fellow who pumps out the tanks say that Red Lion are problematic and he recommends a LIberty pump. Is he correct? Should I just bite the bullet and change the pump? Why would a pump be so erratic? Could the line to the field have a blockage?

Since I wrote that the pump has been working great. We have guests in the house and the water side of the tank is kept at the proper level. We live where it gets darn cold in the winter and I sure would not want to be playing with a pump in 30 below weather. Was the septic pumper correct that Red Lion are junk? Why would the pump act up and then work fine? Which pumps do the pros recommend?

Any help appreciated.

Bruce

Re: Septic Pump problems

Originally posted by brucesmith View Post
    I wrote this last week for another forum. Unfortuantley there are a lot of plumbers who only work in cities and are not too familiar with septic systems. I was thrilled to come across this forum!!
    We are new to country living and have never had to contend with a septic system. Our house is now 11 years old. 4 months after we moved in the septic pump smoked itself to death. Our plumber changed the pump. The original was quite small and sure looks like a cheap sump pump. He installed a Red Lion ( actually made by Little Giant). The box was marked sewage pump. I think it was 1/3 HP. It has a separate float. Within 4 or 5 weeks I was walking past the tank and heard gurgling. The pump was still running but the water side of the tank was dry. Plumber replaced the float switch but told me that he thinks the septic system has a blockage??? The pump was running but not pumping. We were away when he did this work and when I returned it was running and still not pumping. But with an hour or 2 it started working fine. The fellow who pumps out the tanks say that Red Lion are problematic and he recommends a LIberty pump. Is he correct? Should I just bite the bullet and change the pump? Why would a pump be so erratic? Could the line to the field have a blockage?

Since I wrote that the pump has been working great. We have guests in the house and the water side of the tank is kept at the proper level. We live where it gets darn cold in the winter and I sure would not want to be playing with a pump in 30 below weather. Was the septic pumper correct that Red Lion are junk? Why would the pump act up and then work fine? Which pumps do the pros recommend?

Any help appreciated.

Bruce
    I've used some Liberty pumps without problem. Primarily have stuck with Zoeller because of the predictable/good service we've had with them in the past.

I will not put in anything else without a track record or recommendation from someone I trust so....no Red Lion for me.

We're replacing a sewer pump tomorrow. With a Zoeller.

Good luck. (Ride the Lion 'til it dies and then put in the properly sized Zoeller or Liberty built for the correct conditions. BOTH make many pumps.)

J.C.

Comment

Zoeller, Hydromatic or Goulds anything else and you are just asking for problems.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
        X